X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide my next Edf...

which one of these birds is better off if grass? (I don't exclusively fly from grass, just like having the option) Easiest to fly ?
    Freewing T-45, A-4, or Avanti ?

I know that the A-4 does great on grass.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I cant speak on the t45(90mm?)or the a4 (allthough many reports of how tippy the a4 is,sounds like my eurofighter. Have scuffed it and broken some canards with "emergency"turns on ground, still one of my favorites). I can speak on what an outstanding plane the avanti is. Short take off and landing. I occasionally fly off a rough youth football field and the gear takes it in stride. Huge graceful manuvers to agressive tumbles and snaps. It handles the wind(without need of a gyro) the best of all the aircraft i own. It makes me look way better than i am.
      Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

I've learned it depends in how thick the grass is. I have the A-4 and it won't fly of my field.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
          I've learned it depends in how thick the grass is. I have the A-4 and it won't fly of my field.
          How tall is your grass?
          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

How tall is your grass?

Comment

I cut mine at 1"
              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

T-45 is easy to fly and land. A-4 is more agile and light. A-4 gets off grass better than T-45. T-45 on my field requires the nose wheel to get up out of grass for takeoff roll and takes about 150-200ft. The A-4 takes about 100ft.
                A-4 requires a different landing technique as it is a floater. On the T-45 I like flaps, slats and brakes out for landing. She will fly real slow that way.

On my field, I prefer the A-4. No issues tipping. Tracks straight and true on takeoff and landing.
                Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                  Looks like if you gave it some gas she would take off.
                  If it wouldnt take off at that field, no way it'll take off at one of the fields I fly at. I don't know where most of you fly but everyone I see flying off of grass fields on YouTube look like manicured golf fairways compared to what I have. And I fly at dedicated Rc flying field.

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post

Looks like if you gave it some gas she would take off.
                    If it wouldnt take off at that field, no way it'll take off at one of the fields I fly at. I don't know where most of you fly but everyone I see flying off of grass fields on YouTube look like manicured golf fairways compared to what I have. And I fly at dedicated Rc flying field.
                    It wont ive tryed several times.

Comment

Well our field is just a hay field. But we cut it as short as we can...which means dragging the deck on the mower. Grass comes up about an inch. Perfect for all the 80mm jets. I even fly a 90mm off it. But if the grass comes up over your wheels you probably aren't going anywhere fast.
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

The Avanti S was made to fly from grass. The gear/wheels were not limited by trying to mimic scale size. It is powered well and was kept light for optimum performance. After all that's what the jet was designed for. I know that even if our grass has gotten long, I can take my Avanti out and fly. It sounds great and it's flight envelope is amazing.

IMHO it's the most popular EDF foam sport jet out there right now. Motion's containers usually sell out in about three days. That in and of itself says a lot. Even though I like my scale birds, the Avanti tops them in "fun factor".

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post
                          which one of these birds is better off if grass? (I don't exclusively fly from grass, just like having the option) Easiest to fly ?
                          Freewing T-45, A-4, or Avanti ?
                          Hands down the AvantiS. I have both the AvantiS (maidened today) and the Goshawk. I also have the A-10. The T-45 is a pain off of grass with those little wheels up front. We have short grass, but morning dew can be a pain in the butt. The AvantiS is quick, nimble and handled the morning dew with no issues this morning. Best planes for grass ops is the AvantiS from the two I tried that you mentioned. The A-10 is also great off of grass. Hope this helps. Here is a picture of our field at our annual fly in Airplanes of the World. As you see, it isn't a jungle. The T-45 just doesn't handle grass as well as the A-10 and AvantiS. Granted, I have only gotten 2 flights on the Avanti, but over 70 on the A-10 and all grass ops.

This was probably the first flight of 3 Freewing A-10s at a single time in the world. It occurred on June 24, 2017.

Comment

1 vote here for the Avanti

Comment

Working...
                            X