X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Thick Packing Tape to Reinforce a Glider Fuselage and Wings

Anyone know how to apply the clear thick packing tape to a glider to reinforce it and strengthen the fuselage and wings?
    Thanks

Re: Clear Thick Packing Tape to Reinforce a Glider Fuselage and Wings

Bill, there's multiple methodologies for this, usually addressing the particular wing involved. But if as I suspect you're looking for the hot'n'quik method, and knowing a glider is involved, it's as simple as a strip laid from chord to tip underneath.
    The operating theory is that the tape won't stretch, helping reduce lateral wing flexing. I suggest you look for a polyester backing. You'll want the tape to 'death grip' the foam, so first clean the surface thoroughly to remove any mold release residue (oily, silicone) using, eg, 90% or better Isopropyl Alcohol. Be sure to select one with a good aggressive adhesive.

Some might suggest using the cheaper tape with longitudinal fiberglas threads. It'll work, for awhile. It's thick, and ugly. The adhesive starts chalking/breaking down after about a season if that long, strands start fraying off, plus it looks like crap & worsens with age. It'll work, but I don't recommend it.

One I would now recommend, that's come out since I last used the trick, is the new Gorilla 'Clear Repair' tape. That stuff eez toff!
    Good luck on your project.

Comment

Re: Clear Thick Packing Tape to Reinforce a Glider Fuselage and Wings

Thanks.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM, StarHopper [via Motion RC Forum] <
      ml-node+s1075610n4748h37@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Bill, there's multiple methodologies for this, usually addressing the
      > particular wing involved. But if as I suspect you're looking for the
      > hot'n'quik method, it's as simple as a strip laid from chord to tip
      > underneath.
      > The operating theory is that the tape won't stretch, helping reduce
      > lateral wing flexing. I suggest you look for a polyester backing. You'll
      > want the tape to 'death grip' the foam, so first clean the surface
      > thoroughly to remove any mold release residue (oily, silicone) using, eg,
      > 90% or better Isopropyl Alcohol. Be sure to select one with a good
      > aggressive adhesive.
      >
      > Some might suggest using the cheaper tape with longitudinal fiberglas
      > threads. It'll work, for awhile. The adhesive starts chalking/breaking do=
      wn
      > after about a season if that long, strands start fraying off, plus it loo=
      ks
      > like crap & worsens with age. It'll work, but I don't recommend it.
      >
      > One I would now recommend, that's come out since I last used the 'trick',
      > is the new Gorilla 'Clear Repair' tape. That stuff eez toff!
      > Good luck on your project.
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------
      > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
      > below:
      >
      > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/Clear-Thick-Packing-Tape-to-=
      Reinforce-a-Glider-Fuselage-and-Wings-tp4740p4748.html
      > To unsubscribe from Clear Thick Packing Tape to Reinforce a Glider
      > Fuselage and Wings, click here
      > <http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?ma=
      cro=3Dunsubscribe_by_code&node=3D4740&code=3Ddy5lL mJlYXNsZXlAZ21haWwuY29tfD=
      Q3NDB8LTg1MzAzNzQ0MA=3D=3D>
      > .
      > NAML
      > <http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?ma=
      cro=3Dmacro_viewer&id=3Dinstant_html%21nabble%3Aem ail.naml&base=3Dnabble.na=
      ml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabbl=
      e.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=3Dno tify_subscribers%21nabble=
      %3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nab=
      ble%3Aemail.naml>
      >

Comment

RE: Clear Thick Packing Tape to Reinforce a Glider Fuselage and Wings

I used 3M packing tape on my Radian fuselage. It's been on there for 2 years and still looks great. If your really carefull about applying it, it can look quite nice. The Doctor

Comment

Working...
        X