X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermals!

Boy were they ever booming today! Wish I had video of the Radian flying this afternoon. I launched it, climbed up about 200 feet, shut the motor down and coasted on multiple thermals. I brought 3 batteries and only used about a third of one! Even a crappy thermal finder like me could see when it was in a boomer. The plane would actually lurch upwards. An incredible day for sailplanes!
    Lauren

RE: Thermals!

Hi, Flygirl... Ain't it fun!!! I have 2 Radians. One spair, never flown, and "old faithfull" flown for years. I added spoilers to it so I could land the thing! Doc

Comment

Spoilers! That would be handy cuz the darn thing just wants to glide foreverrrrrrrrrrrr! How'd ya do it Doc??
      Lauren

Comment

Flygirl... Google "adding spoilers to a radian". I placed my spoilers on top of the wing, but nothing as elaborate as they show, and they work great. If I did it over, I would just do the up-flap on the trailing edge version...much easier and just as effective. Be sure to make them about 1"x 9". If they are too long, they will go into the curve of the wing. Also, with a 3 position transmitter switch you can make 2nd position go down a small bit for extra lift, and position 3, up for spoilers. This is what I'm going to do on my spair Radian. You can use the part that you cut from the wing for the flap/spoilers. I would give it a layer of packing tape. I use FMS servos. They have a nice long lead wire. Good luck!!! Doc

Comment

Thanks Doc!
          Lauren

Comment

Just thought of a tip. The wings on mine tend to shift a bit. I cut 4- 5/32"x 3" dowels long enough to go through the fuselage top...wing root...and fuse bottom. I sharpened one end of each and painted them white. Making sure the wings are in place.. I pushed the rods through, leaving about 3/4" to pull on. The first 2 are 1" behind the leading edge and the other 2, 3" behind. I then took it apart and, with a toothpick, coated the holes with epoxy to keep them from tearing out. This has worked very well and I can still remove the wings. By the way, you will need to cut a small area out of the wing root to store the servo wires. Just cut and try 'till you have enough room for them, making sure the wings seat fully. Doc

Comment

Thanks Doc!! I just pulled the trigger on another glider that was recommended to me. A Multiplex Solius... It's kind of pricey but it looks like it can thermal soar as well if not close to what the Radian can. It will be something different to try at least. :)
              Lauren

Comment

I have a Multiplex Funjet and I can tell you the quality is exceptional! Let me know how she flies. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
                  I have a Multiplex Funjet and I can tell you the quality is exceptional! Let me know how she flies. Doc
                  Really well Doc! Had it all set up by the book with the stated throws and other than some up trim they were bang on the money. It's different than the Radian. This is much zippier and seems less affected by the wind. The Radian floats in the air and this kind of cuts through it but it grabs a thermal as well as the Radian. Landings are a lot longer than the Radian due to its speed difference. I tried to use the spoilerons on one landing but I think I mixed in too much up elevator and it stalled on me causing a cart wheel. The wings snapped out as they are supposed to so there was no damage. The other landing was a good one but just long. It climbs crazy fast with the motor. Plenty of power to get up. All in all I'm pretty happy with it as a compliment to the Radian which still can't be beat for relaxing flights.

I watched a couple of vids on that Funjet... That thing screams! Not sure I have the talent for that one. LOL!
                  Lauren

Comment

Doc.... As you can see they aren't much different in size.....

Attached Files
                    Lauren

Comment

I really like the scale look. Glad she flies nicely! Doc

Comment

I just took my Radian camping in the Pecos wilderness. "Old Faithfull" flies great at 10,000 ft. ! It's so beautiful flying in the mountains. Sorry, no photos. Doc

Comment

I would need one of those "I can't breathe" tee shirts Doc.... LOL!
                          Lauren

Comment

I get more light headed every time I go up there, and I live at 6000 ft. I wonder what that's a sign of. Doc

Comment

If you really want to learn to thermal, I recommend building one of these.
                              I've built two from wearing them out. I easily get 110' launches.

Best money you'll ever spend learning micro climates an working lift. This thing will circle on a gopher belch 10 ft up as you track it down the field until it breaks free. Can slope soar on a 5' hill.

Comment

110' hand launched? Wow! Unfortunately I'm too old to pivot without falling on my kiester. LOL! But I have a friend who has a DLG (small) and I will tell him about it :)
                                Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
                                  110' hand launched? Wow! Unfortunately I'm too old to pivot without falling on my kiester. LOL! But I have a friend who has a DLG (small) and I will tell him about it :)
                                  yes... nice basic, easily built design... no vacumn bagging, no high price, no computer radio needed. Simple two channel.

Comment

Working...
                                  X