X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplex Heron

I've been in this hobby for over ten years flying props, edf's, and heli's, but two weeks ago I ventured
    into a new realm with my newly purchased Multiplex Heron. It is a totally different flying experience.
    Very cool to just kick back in my fold up chair drinking coffee and lazily soaring around for what seems
    like forever !
    The Heron is a wonderful model and I have her set up with camber and crow. That big 2.4 meter wing
    wants to fly forever but toggle in the crow when you want to bring her down and you can spot land her
    every time !
    I would have purchased her from MRC if they offered Multiplex products, but alas, they don't. It is an
    extremely well built, well engineered model made in Germany. The wings break down at the field by pulling 
    just one pin. The foam is the usual Multiplex super dense stuff. I think it's elapor if I recall correctly. Very durable stuff.
    I can't recommend this model enough. Very pleased with my purchased and enjoying my new soaring adventures !

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/sailplanes/plug-n-play/heron--race-ready-p-mpu264276
    Attached Files
    If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

RE: Multiplex Heron

I too love the Multiplex products! And as you mention the engineering is fantastic. I have 2 Cularis gliders and while they aren't "glass slippers" they do perform very well. 

Even though the Cularis is a foam glider it is a kit (not an ARF) and takes a bit of building to get a flying model. Is the Heron a kit? Do you need to install the spars and stiffeners? 

As a value option I've been looking at the ROC VTail. I like what looks like a hard skin on these models
    http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-v-tail-glider-5ch-2200mm-87-wingspan-pnp/

Or the slightly bigger Fox.
    http://www.motionrc.com/fms-fox-glider-v2-2320mm-91-wingspan-pnp/

All the best,
    Konrad

Comment

Hi Konrad,

You can purchase the Heron as a kit or as a receiver ready model. The link that I provided and
      the model that I purchased was the receiver ready version. I had her assembled in less than
      thirty minutes. I spent more time trying to set up my DX8 transmitter for camber and crow LOL.
      All of the components of the RR version appear to be of high quality. I have about six or seven
      flights on her now without any issues.
      Multiplex hit a home run with this one. Another guy in my club has one. He bought it when it was
      first released back in late summer and he just raves about it.
      The Heron is not cheap at around $380, but you get what you pay for when you purchase a model
      and the Heron is top notch for a foamy ;) 

Best regards !

Comment

I feel your pain when setting up glider programing. Gliders have some of the most advanced mixes and flight mode setups. I spend hours in the manuals trying get out all the flexibility that is often hidden in the radio's programing. I'm shocked at how poorly these features are documented in the manuals.

I learned to program models with the Multiplex Profi 4000 radio. So trying to get my head around the master slave programing concept often just hurts my mind. I have a DX9 that I use for my simple sport models. I'm starting to get comfortable with the power of the FrSky Taranis Plus.

As you move up the ranks of being a glider driver you might want to give the Taranis a good long look.
        http://rctruth.com/index.php?topic=2322.0

All the best,
        Konrad

Comment

That looks like it would be an awesome transmitter to own Konrad. Maybe at some point I may
          upgrade from my DX8, but the eight has been a dependable workhorse for several years now.
          It's hard to pump money into a new transmitter when MRC keeps coming out with awesome
          new EDF's for me to buy LOL !
          I want the new Freewing F-14 so bad it's driving me nuts, however, I'm standing by my policy
          of never buying the initial production run on a model. I like to read about others experiences
          with a model and also give the manufacturer time to wring the initial production run bugs out ;)

Comment

Don't be the first upon which the new is tried, very wise!

But also don't wait so long that the molds are worn out.

Comment

I have a Multiplex Funjet. Excellent quality and flys great, true, straight, and like a rocket! Doc

Comment

Working...
              X