Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Matter How many times I tell Myself!

You know, the younger I get, I keep telling myself; I want a glider! So, what do I do? I buy another jet! How in the heck can a person make a rational decision, when all you see on the website is airplanes galore! Now, we have the new P-38 in Silver & Green. There's too many options for a guy to follow through with what he wants. At least that has been my past motif. Maybe at some point someone will tell me how fun their glider is and I'll get one!

Matt

I've done a lot of Slope Soaring Matt, and I can tell you its a lot of fun. No fuel, no mess, no noise, no motor battery to charge. Fly ing time is limited to as long as you have a charged RX battery and lift on the slope.

Of course for added excitement you could try Dynamic soaring. Now that really is an adrenaline rush. See the link below

On November 22nd, 2014 at around 2.30 pm local time, Bruce T. flew a new Dynamic Soaring world speed record of 505 mph (810 kph) at the hill in Weldon, CA. H...

The really impressive thing is these guys are clocking 500MPH without an engine.

I knew someone in the UK who was well into Dynamic soaring and he had a "G" meter in the model. It was pulling in excess of 60G at times.

Yeah, go for it Matt.

Martin.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the RocHobby V-Tail Glider. And of course the Radian is a perennial favorite. It's such a nice flyer, and I enjoy lying on the ground with a pillow as I fly for 30 minutes, quite a change from 4 minutes of zipping around in a big EDF. In fact I once fell asleep for a few seconds before jolting awake and searching the sky for the plane. After some tense moments I saw it, high up, gliding as if it didn't even notice. What a *****cat!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The Calypso is an amazing glider, with 20 minute flights even for noobs in gliding like me, you can't go wrong. After flying your jets, you'll realize how great a glider would be for just relaxing and experiencing the essence of flight. Hope you finally go through with buying your glider!
        You might be able to fly it, but can you land it?

Comment

In the foam glider world little beats the Multiplex Cularis.
          ►Support RCSchim: http://goo.gl/gLXuKR THANKS!!!!my Blog with more infos: http://RCSchim.blogspot.comCularis-Setup:Weight: 1623g (with 226g battery)Motor: H...

I'm warming up to the little Calypso but the hinge line needs to be reworked a lot to get any kind of deflection to make crow effective.

The RocHobby Fox is calling me. As is the V tail.

Now I have some multi thousand dollar gliders and these foam model can't hold a candle to these but that's not the point. You might hear that the more advanced foam gliders aren't very good. This just isn't so! While they aren't high performance glass slippers they are much better than most wooden gas bags or 3 channel bent wing foamy.

Step away from the EDF and try flying with the wind on sun power. I don't know were the guys are coming from with this relaxed flying bit. To me gliders take a lot more concentration flying at the limits of the L/D curve. But I for one love the challenge!

Comment

Gliders such as the Calypso don't really require that much input to fly, hence the relaxing bit for me. I've got gliders because even if you are terrible at locating and staying in lift, like me, the plane takes forever to get back to the ground. They're a good entry into the world of FPV as well, since they don't require as much input if they have poly/di-hedral wing. I'm speaking for foamies, as I don't have any balsa wood/fiberglass gliders. My first one also taught me quite a lot about my radio, since I had to learn to program mixes for crow,camber and reflex. Everybody flies differently, and I've found that a glider can be flown a lot of ways- relaxed/carefree, focused on thermals, soared(if that makes sense),and my favorite, into trees.
            You might be able to fly it, but can you land it?

Comment

That's a good point about learning the intricacies of ones radio. So is the point about not requiring much input to fly. Now to fly well...

Comment

I've been flying gliders longer than I have electric airplanes...It was my initial draw to the RC airplane world. While I have caught the warbird/scale RC electric bug, flying sailplanes/gliders will always hold a special place in my heart.

I started out with pure non-powered gliders, using a high start. While laborious (some flights would last all of 45 seconds or so before I had to go chase down the bungee chord and start over...A LOT of walking), I learned the art and satisfaction of thermal hunting. Launching your non-powered glider from a high start and finding a good thermal and watching it continue to rise and rise is one of the coolest feelings in all of RC flying.

Several of these flights ended up where the glider would be "specked out" (such high altitude that the glider appeared as but a mere "speck"). While my passion for scale electric warbirds and jets have taken most of my attention in recent years, I still have to have at least one sailplane in my hangar at any given time.

Lately it's been my Multiplex Solius. An incredibly awesome foam electric sailplane. I am partial to scale T Tails and this one has both the looks and performance that maximizes your bang for your buck. Highly recommended!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I love my gliders. From one end of the scale to the other...a UMX Radian, 2 Radians, and a Bird of Time. All of them, on a warm day, will stay up 'till you can't stand any more...and... will fit in the back seat of my Outback! I really want a Multiplex Solius. Doc

Comment

I just purchased a Multiplex Heron recently and have about a dozen flights on her now. She's my first foray into the world of RC sailplanes (I don't consider my Durafly Zephyr a true glider) and I can't be more pleased with her performance.

Multiplex did a top notch job on this model. It's well engineered and made of quality materials and
                    components. Pull a pin in the battery compartment and the wings disengage for easy transport !
                    I have mixes programmed for crow and camber and I'm quickly learning how to use these mixes
                    to facilitate spot landings and getting just that right amount of extra lift.

I know Spectrum is coming out with a new line of transmitters in March so I am contemplating
                    upgrading from my DX8 to a new radio with verbal annunciation. I'd like to install a variometer
                    and an altimeter so that I can get an audio indication when I'm in a thermal. I have not yet
                    become that adept at picking up visual cues that I'm in an area of lift.

Anyway, skill comes with practice and time so I will continue to enjoy my new experiences in this
                    unexplored (for me) aspect of our hobby.

Happy Sailplaning !
                    If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

Isn't the Heron the upgraded replacement for the Solius? These are both AMA standard class gliders. I've seen the Heron fly and it is just fantastic when up on step moving across the field.
                      http://hitecrcd.com/products/airplan...-heron/product

On the subject of radios why the focus on Spektrum? I have both the Dx9 and Fr Sky Taranis Plus. The Taranis Plus is head and shoulders above the DX9 and is half the cost. Give it a close look. Don't forget that you are not limited to just one 2.4 gHz protocol as the Taranis Plus has a moduled RF deck! That X9E is really calling me, after all I come from the Multiplex Profi 4000! But I just bought my last two radios within the last year.:sick:
                      https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/...nsmitters.html

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Several of these flights ended up where the glider would be "specked out" (such high altitude that the glider appeared as but a mere "speck"). While my passion for scale electric warbirds and jets have taken most of my attention in recent years, I still have to have at least one sailplane in my hangar at any given time.

Lately it's been my Multiplex Solius. An incredibly awesome foam electric sailplane. I am partial to scale T Tails and this one has both the looks and performance that maximizes your bang for your buck. Highly recommended!
                        I like the fact that we all still cherish those specked out flights, even years later!

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                          I love my gliders. From one end of the scale to the other...a UMX Radian, 2 Radians, and a Bird of Time. All of them, on a warm day, will stay up 'till you can't stand any more...and... will fit in the back seat of my Outback! I really want a Multiplex Solius. Doc
                          Hey, we must be "blood brothers" or something. I have those exact planes, plus a Mystique RES and an EPP Eagle (looks more like a hawk). In our small group of RC flyers, we have what we call the "lawn chair" set and we jokingly say that newbies can only join if they show their AARP card first (in Canada, it's Canada Pension and Old Age Security slips). We'll formation fly for longer than anybody can stand (well, sit), then we come down for spot landings to see how tight a cluster we can form on the ground. While in the air, we try to see who can "hump" the other or do a mid-air "kiss". However, don't be fooled, we also fly jets and fast prop planes, too. (We're not that senile yet.) :p

Comment

Yes Konrad, the Heron is Multiplex's new model and I guess replacement for the Solius. It was a long wait to get my hands on one because they would sell out as soon as vendors would get them in stock ! It's well worth the $375 as it is a true quality model. I got the plug and play but they do offer a kit at much reduced cost.

As far as my focus on Spektrum, well that answer is an easy one. I have over two dozen models, both Heli's and Planes, and it just isn't practical to switch over to another vendors technology that is incompatible with all of my existing Spektrum receivers. Plus, I like having all of my models on one radio.

Again, it just isn't practical to purchase another vendors radio and have to truck it around too when my RC van (Dodge Caravan) is already packed to the window sills when I go to the flying field. I guess I could purchase another vendors radio and a larger van ..... do you think you could spot me a low interest loan ? ;)

I reckon that I'll keep using Spektrum because I'm already heavily invested in their technology and honestly Konrad, my DX8 has served me exceptionally well since I purchased it when it was first released. I keep the software updated and I have not had one single issue with it or the Spektrum receivers that I use with it. If it works don't fix it ..... ;)

Comment

The Heron is indeed the replacement for the Solius. Both are virtually the same mold with the same engineering and quality. The only difference that I can tell is the more pronounced dihedral on the wingtips and new decals on the Heron. These gliders are worth the extra money considering it's still foam class. Their glider characteristics are superb.

As for Spektrum, I LOVE my Spektrum. I have had the DX7, DX9 and now the DX18. After logging thousands of flights and hours on Spektrum I can't think of a single incident or complaint where my Spektrum was the cause of any problems. My dumb thumbs have been the leading cause of my disasters. Whether I'm flying a $75 micro or a $2,500 composite, I don't have any hesitation to trust Spektrum.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

A picture of the new Heron:
                                Attached Files

Comment

The Taranis Plus does not limit you to any one 2.4 gHz protocol I fly many (most) of my Spektrum RX models with it. Give the Fr Sky a good close look when you are purchasing a new radio.

Now I've been with Spektum for many many years and have suffered the teething pains of 2.4 gHz with Spektum and Extreme Power System. I agree that my thumbs are the number one cause for my loss of airframes.

The power beauty of the Fr Sky is in the programing architecture and overall flexibility. I will say when I have both radios in my hand I'm feel like a fool for purchasing the DX9. Not so much as to sell it, but just that it is not near the radio of the Fr Sky.

Love and will pay for the engineering in the Multiplex Kits. The Heron has many advanced features over the Solius both in structure and in the aerodynamics/ controls.
                                  Last edited by Konrad; Feb 27, 2016, 10:46 AM. Reason: Add you tube link

Comment

A thing to note:

Flying a sailplane takes a bit of a different mindset than a fast highly aerobatic model or a 3D model.

They do not respond the same. Its kind of like flying in slow motion after an EDF model or some of the highly responsive aircraft. that can lead some people to overcontrol even if they already know how to fly.

Years ago...
                                    I took a Dynaflite Butterfly to the field and was doing aerobatics and low inverted passes brushing the rudder on the runway... (yes it can!)
                                    One of the local club members, who placed top 20 in AMA NATS Pattern 4 years in a row wanted to try the plane out.
                                    HE COULDN'T FLY IT!
                                    He didn't understand the differences from his normal type models.

give it a little bit of stick.. and wait for the plane to respond....
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

It's so true...Flying a sailplane is a whole different animal, especially the composites. You blink wrong and they won't hesitate to snap stall in a turn. The foam electrics are much, much more forgiving and gentle (low wing load) but even those like fhhuber says, have their own tendencies that are completely different then anything else you fly.

I love negotiating a sailplane in choppy conditions. You really are on the sticks and you have to use all control surfs, especially rudder, to really get a hold of them. It's true stick and rudder flying which I can't get enough of. It's easy to get lazy with some planes...That's why I like the challenge of sailplanes and warbirds and jets...They each have their tendencies and if you don't respect the skills required, they will bite you in a heartbeat.

I've had composite ASW 28's and DG 1000's that were so gorgeous to look at both static and in the air, but man were they nasty if you didn't respect them in every turn. These foam electrics are much more docile by comparison but still can offer a robust sailplane experience especially if you can make them full house or the mixing dialed (for crow, camber, reflex, butterfly, et al) to really experience what a sailplane can offer.

I just love the choices we have in this hobby!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                      X