X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam repair opinions please

So quick and easy love to get as many opinions as possible. Go to fix for a foam glider .......

1) Hot Glue ?

Or

2) Gorilla Glue ?

Thanks everyone

Jwallen82980 I use Beacon Foam Tac (Motion RC) for most repairs. In a pinch, E-6000 (Hobby Lobby) works on EPO foam and is available in Black or Clear. I have not tried hot glue or Gorilla Glue for foam repairs. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

It depends on the extent of the damage and where the damage is. I use a combination of FoamTac, epoxy, epoxy steel, hot glue, clear Gorilla tape. For those areas that have voids due to pieces of foam not found, I'll use something like Spackle (dry wall filler). If the break is in a big, structural section, I'll FoamTac the break, then epoxy a popsicle stick across the break on the interior. For wood structures like the battery tray, I'll put it in place and hot glue around the edges to hold it down. If a control surface has ripped apart, you can use FoamTac along the break (leave it jagged), wipe off the excess and let cure. It'll be strong enough to fly yet be flexible. If you are concerned about it, cross the hinge with hinge tape.

Comment

Beacon Foam Tac
        AMA 424553

Comment

It also depends on which kind of foam? Clearly, for EPO foam, Foam Tac works amazingly well. For EPP foam... ??? (I haven't had to repair one of these yet but I recently bought some (ZOHD) motor gliders that use EPP construction.)

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
            It also depends on which kind of foam? Clearly, for EPO foam, Foam Tac works amazingly well. For EPP foam... ??? (I haven't had to repair one of these yet but I recently bought some (ZOHD) motor gliders that use EPP construction.)
            EPP foam can be repaired with "Welders glue" or hot glue. FoamTac will also work but due to the porosity, a slightly thicker layer must be applied.

Comment

Thanks everyone. BTW this question was in reference to a completely severed nose section (to the battery bay) on a night radian. Thanks for the insights!

Comment

Working...
              X