X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night radian motor cogging?

Hello, I just picked up my first night radian. Took it out to the field today for day one and reliably with less than 20% throttle I am getting a loud squeal with no motor rotation that I think is cogging. I confirmed it’s not the propeller loose it’s actual motor not turning just squealing. Anyone else have any similar experiences? It’s all stock bind and fly out of the box

thanks

Did you do a throttle calibration? Was your throttle trim where the manual suggests you put it? If the manual doesn't say anything about the throttle trim, move it to the lowest it can go, then do a re-bind, then do the throttle calibration. If that doesn't correct it, try an ESC factory reset. If problem persists, check to see if ALL 3 motor connections are solid and then check if you can detect any motor magnets loose.

PS. I have no idea what motor "cogging" is. You might want to define that for others who may wish to help.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. No I did not do any kind of calibration since it’s a bnf and today was first day out with it.

how would one check for a loose magnet? Just shaking it?

cogging is a term on sensorless brushed motor . It’s a delay in the spool up caused by position of motor

Comment

All electric powered systems on these planes should have a throttle calibration done. It doesn't matter if it's a BNF, PNP, kit, whatever. The ESC must understand what the transmitter considers as zero throttle and max throttle. It's done once with every new plane and every new RX/TX.
        I've never had a brushed motor, so never heard the term. All my planes have ever only had brushless motors (as in the Radian). A loose magnet is hard to determine. Taking the prop off, you can slowing turn the motor back and forth and listen for any odd clicking (or I guess you could shake it but even a slightly loose magnet can cause problems and it wouldn't make much noise.) I somehow doubt a brand new Radian would have such a fault anyway. As for the delayed spool up, there is a setting for the type of start you can have. By default, the Radian should have an instant spool up (hard start up) but then, it could have been changed to a soft or medium start up if you accidentally put it into program mode. Resetting ESC to factory default should get it all straightened out.
        Start with the trim setting (check manual) and throttle calibration and see if that resolves things.

Comment

Thanks again for advice. I did do a calibration and checked for any loose sounds from motor. Still getting the problem. Very odd. Oh well… time to contact HH

Comment

That might be best. They may be able to help you more if you had a video of what your Radian is doing. If you make one, post it here, too.

Comment

I did take a video of it on my phone but apparently this website does not like .MOV video formats . Luckily I’m sure HH will be able to see it :)

Comment

Originally posted by Goose246 View Post
                I did take a video of it on my phone but apparently this website does not like .MOV video formats . Luckily I’m sure HH will be able to see it :)
                This website does not host any videos. You have to put it on something like YouTube, then link it here.

Comment

Working...
                X