X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplex Lentus

I've had my eye on this one since it came out a few years back. I've been selling off older planes to fund newer projects and I was really happy to grab this one. For the longest time you couldn't even purchase it inside the US. A bit pricey but from what I've seen of the quality and true PNP (wings plug in via pin connectors) it's a beauty. I did have to order some Y-connectors for the ailerons and flaps and order some batteries so I'm waiting to finish her up to be ready for the maiden. I'm looking forward to turning her into a Full House with all the fantastic options that come with that ability (Crow, camber, reflex, spoilers, etc).

Really good size! I believe it's a 3 Meter. I'll see if I can find a nice scale pilot but it's not a full depth cockpit so that may be a challenge. If not, no biggie. Rated for both 3S and 4S so I bought both batteries to see how she performs between the two. I will probably maiden with the 4S just so I know I have the power if/when I need it, but I've heard she is just fine on 3S.

I'll update when it's time to maiden. Anyone else have one?

Click image for larger version  Name:	lentus2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	357871
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

As you may recall, I was quite interested in this glider a while back, about the time that the US seller was just getting his shop together. As with you, the price was an eye popper but unlike you, it scared me off and I never revisited that purchase possibility. In the meantime, I’ve gotten very content with the 3 large sailplanes that I have. I cycle them into service every few weeks so they all get some air time. All 3 are “rudder/elevator” sailplanes and are very relaxing to fly, stable and takes very little effort and attention to keep them up for long periods of time. Full house sailplanes just seem to me to be too much “work” to keep aloft.
    Nevertheless, I am still interested to hear of your adventures with the Lentus. It’s a beauty.

Comment

Oh that's right xviper I forgot about our discourse in the past. I also agree Full House can be a bit of "work" but I've had a few over the years and once I got used to what switches did what, it become like most things..."Like riding a bike." If the switch placement is intuitive it doesn't take long for the muscle memory to respond. It's quite fun actually to negotiate the various options based on the scenario beit take offs, soaring, thermal mode, spot landings and so on (i.e. Flight Modes). But at the same time, I also enjoy just launching and flying and landing without dealing with a bunch of switches. Depends on my mood I guess, lol.
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Check out Andrej Sturm if you want to see it perform https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2e3-IgBtU

Comment

Thanks!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

[QUOTE=Aros;n357870]I've had my eye on this one since it came out a few years back. I've been selling off older planes to fund newer projects and I was really happy to grab this one. For the longest time you couldn't even purchase it inside the US. A bit pricey but from what I've seen of the quality and true PNP (wings plug in via pin connectors) it's a beauty. I did have to order some Y-connectors for the ailerons and flaps and order some batteries so I'm waiting to finish her up to be ready for the maiden. I'm looking forward to turning her into a Full House with all the fantastic options that come with that ability (Crow, camber, reflex, spoilers, etc).

Really good size! I believe it's a 3 Meter. I'll see if I can find a nice scale pilot but it's not a full depth cockpit so that may be a challenge. If not, no biggie. Rated for both 3S and 4S so I bought both batteries to see how she performs between the two. I will probably maiden with the 4S just so I know I have the power if/when I need it, but I've heard she is just fine on 3S.

I'll update when it's time to maiden. Anyone else have one?[QUOTE]

Be aware of prop recommendation vs battery voltage

[[QUOTE][Powered by a Roxxy C35-48-990KV brushless motor coupled to a 3S 2600mAh LiPo and an 11 x 7” propeller /QUOTE]

you’re able to swap to a 4S 2600mAh LiPo and, using an 8 x 6” prop,

https://alshobbies.co.uk/MultiPlex-K...l%20capability.

Comment

Interesting because the distributor said Multiplex told him the stock setup will work with both 3S and 4S LiPos. But that info sounds contradictory. So to use a 4S I would need to switch to an 8x6 prop?
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                Interesting because the distributor said Multiplex told him the stock setup will work with both 3S and 4S LiPos. But that info sounds contradictory. So to use a 4S I would need to switch to an 8x6 prop?
                This plane comes with a 70A ESC, which I believe should be fine with the 4S power, as should a 990kv BL motor. I believe they want you to put on the smaller prop so that it can do a "self launch" from the ground without chewing up the blades of the larger prop (becomes a weed whacker). If you intend on hand launching it, I don't see a problem with the larger folding prop. To be absolutely sure, before you do a full flight on 4s, you might give the motor a typical 1 to 2 minute high throttle run on the bench and check that the neither the motor nor the ESC gets too hot. If you don't like the idea of running it at full bore on the ground, then toss it for a 30 second motor run and glide it down to land, check the motor/ESC heat. Then do it again for 1 minute, check. Then do it for a couple of minutes.
                The beauty of a sailplane is that it's not the sort of plane where you would fly it under propulsion for the whole flight. You go in spurts. I had the 3.0 FMS Fox Glider. It flew on 6s, was heavy, did not glide well and needed a lot of power ups to stay aloft. Without VERY good thermals or high winds, it would continually sink. It was more fun to fly it as a constantly powered airplane where it looked spectacular in the air. As a "sailplane", it was sadly lacking.

Comment

Thanks for the sound advice! I did hear back from the distributor and he once again assured me it can handle 4S stock. I'll heed your advice!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Please keep us informed as to how this plane is for you. If it's a good "sailplane", I may re-visit it and reconsider. If it's just a good "glider", I'll leave it. I differentiate as follows: A sailplane has the ability to gain altitude easily without power. A glider mostly descends regardless of the presence of thermals or strong winds. The 3.0 Fox Glider is just that - a glider. It's too heavy and the wings don't have ideal lift to be a good power off climber.

Comment

Will do! I see it is used often for slope soaring but I hear it thermals decently as well. I will let you know!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Alright two minor issues I was trying to resolve this evening when trying to finish the setup. One, the elevator throw is really slight. I even increased the travel to 150% and it's still "meh" looking. I haven't measured yet but just the ol' eye test tells me I would like to get a few more mm's. The elevator servo setup is in the Vstab, halfway up. Access points are available on both sides of the stab but there is no clear and easy way to adjust the servo arm and clevis without tearing it apart.

The other issue is I am using the Admiral 10 CH rx and there is no flap channel...It goes from Gear to Aux 1, Aux 2, etc...I tried using a Y for both flap leads but when I activate the flap system one flap goes down and the other goes up. I tried changing it out to one lead on Aux 1 and the other on Aux 2, using a mix but no matter what, both activate in opposite directions. I know I am missing something easy here but I am notoriously awful when it comes to figuring out mixes and wonky servo directions. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Just reverse Aux 2 in servo setup.
                          AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                            Alright two minor issues I was trying to resolve this evening when trying to finish the setup. One, the elevator throw is really slight. I even increased the travel to 150% and it's still "meh" looking. I haven't measured yet but just the ol' eye test tells me I would like to get a few more mm's. The elevator servo setup is in the Vstab, halfway up. Access points are available on both sides of the stab but there is no clear and easy way to adjust the servo arm and clevis without tearing it apart.

The other issue is I am using the Admiral 10 CH rx and there is no flap channel...It goes from Gear to Aux 1, Aux 2, etc...I tried using a Y for both flap leads but when I activate the flap system one flap goes down and the other goes up. I tried changing it out to one lead on Aux 1 and the other on Aux 2, using a mix but no matter what, both activate in opposite directions. I know I am missing something easy here but I am notoriously awful when it comes to figuring out mixes and wonky servo directions. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
                            RE: ELE travel. 1st, you aren't using a gyro, are you? I'm assuming you are NOT for the moment. 2nd, are you able to move the rod on the elevator to the closest hole to the elevator? Or is there no access there? 3rd, have you tried increasing the % in the "rates/expo" menu for the ELE?

You do, in fact have a flaps channel with the Admiral. The flaps menu opens u[ when you choose the correct "aircraft type" in the TX. If you intend to do stuff like "crow", then you need to tell it that you have "2 flaps". If not, then Y the flaps together and plug into channel 6. AUX1 (ch. 6) is the flap port but it won't actually operate as "flap" until you open up the flap menu by declaring the type of aircraft you have in the TX system menu. Also, you must NOT use "sailplane" as the kind of model you have. You must stay in ACRO.

Comment

Thanks fellas!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                RE: ELE travel. 1st, you aren't using a gyro, are you? I'm assuming you are NOT for the moment. 2nd, are you able to move the rod on the elevator to the closest hole to the elevator? Or is there no access there? 3rd, have you tried increasing the % in the "rates/expo" menu for the ELE?
                                No gyro. The pushrod appears to already be on the outermost hole on the servo arm. I increased the travel to 150% on the elevator which didn't do anything. I have the elevator on the highest rates in the rates/expo menu. I'll try to take a photo later showing the servo placement.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
                                  Just reverse Aux 2 in servo setup.
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1342204968468_636519.png
Views:	440
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	358472
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    Please keep us informed as to how this plane is for you. If it's a good "sailplane", I may re-visit it and reconsider. If it's just a good "glider", I'll leave it. I differentiate as follows: A sailplane has the ability to gain altitude easily without power. A glider mostly descends regardless of the presence of thermals or strong winds. The 3.0 Fox Glider is just that - a glider. It's too heavy and the wings don't have ideal lift to be a good power off climber.
                                    I finally maidened her over the weekend. Winds were oscillating between swirling 15-25mph to calm. The first flight was mostly trim setting. I had to give a fair amount of right rudder and right aileron trim but once trimmed out she flew very well. The hand toss was a breeze. Just floated away. What I thought was a very slight amount of elevator throw turned out to be plenty. No issues there in flight. It's always difficult to discern a glider/sailplane's habit in varying wind conditions. I don't have full house set up yet, just flaps. So on the first flight I came in with flaps and a marginal mix of down elevator and the effect wasn't drastic like Crow or spoilers might have but decent enough. She landed pretty much where I was hoping she would land.

The second flight was more rewarding as it was clear the trimming phase was complete and the wind had calmed down so I could surmise her flight characteristics more appropriately.

Based on your personal description xviper between a sailplane and a glider, I would say she is kind of in the middle. While in some ways, I felt on a proper, thermal-driven day she would do quite well, there was no such day to be found and she felt a tiny bit heavy and sank accordingly. NOT meaning like a brick, or she had to keep her speed up. In fact I marveled at how slow she could get especially in a headwind. With some elevator up trim I had her gliding along decently. She's not the Fox Glider by any stretch. Definitely more nimble and sailplane-ish than that. But yes, she has some weight to her and will need the use of the throttle from time to time to keep her airborne.

Ultimately, I really enjoyed this model, thought it had wonderful flight characteristics overall, it really is docile, easy to fly and land. No real bad habits to speak of and she looks lovely in the air.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Very informative review. It’s interesting that you made mention of the Fox Glider. I had the 3.0M one. The Fox Glider flew heavy, very heavy (IMO). Only when faced with fairly brisk winds aloft, did it stay up easily without power. I grew tired of the Fox after only a few flights as it was a really large, heavy powered foamie. It sounds like I could like the Lentus more. However, having 3 very exceptional sailplanes at the moment, I’m going to have to wait until such a time arrives when one of those depart my hanger for whatever reasons may occur.

Comment

Absolutely. My favorite remains my BOT. Such a sweet flyer with a gorgeous profile. But she's more my hangar queen and I tend to take her out on perfect weather days only. I can definitely see this one becoming my go-to for every day sailing.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X