X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radian AS3X Gain Settings

I need some help programming a AR637T for my Radian. I don’t know what the AS3X and Safe gain setting should be for a stock Radian. Anyone with a newer Radian with the AR631, could you look at the main display for the AS3X Setting and Safe Limits pages and let me know what it says.
    ​Thanks

You do know that you can simply go to the Spektrum site and download the receiver file for your receiver, right? You can start by going to the Night Radian webpage at Horizon Hobby:
    The Night Radian 2.0m BNF Basic by E-flite is a quality built remote controlled airplane. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

Then go to Manuals and Support and click on "Spektrum Smart Receiver Preset Download". That should get you here:

This will also tell you how to do it.

From here, you can go to the preset model files (.srm), one of which is the Radian (Night Radian will be the same as the Radian):

Comment

Thanks, Did not know there were preset model files available.

Comment

I'm considering buying a night radian, as it's the only decently sized glider my local hobby shop has, but it comes with AS3X and SAFE Select. I prefer my planes to be fully manual, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with disabling AS3X and SAFE. Having to get an entirely new reciever wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker, but I would rather not have to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Clara9 View Post
          I'm considering buying a night radian, as it's the only decently sized glider my local hobby shop has, but it comes with AS3X and SAFE Select. I prefer my planes to be fully manual, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with disabling AS3X and SAFE. Having to get an entirely new reciever wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker, but I would rather not have to do that.
          Pre-programmed RXs with SAFE/AS3X may or may not be altered. When you get it, see if it will allow you to do forward programming and if so, go in and turn all the gains to zero. You can also defeat SAFE by the way you bind it. It would be far better to just yank out the RX and put in something simple and cheap like the AR410 ($35.00). Even better, tell your hobby shop to order you a PNP Radian. I believe Horizon has stock and your hobby shop should be able to get one in less than a week.
          BTW, even though you don't like SAFE/AS3X for whatever reason, flying a sailplane with it makes the experience very satisfying. Makes for very smooth flying. All my sailplanes have stabilization and a form of SAFE. I wouldn't fly any of them without it. Sailplanes can get very far away from you and electronics can help you get it back.

You shouldn't feel restricted to what your hobby shop has in stock. If Horizon has it, your shop can get it fairly quickly.
          RC sailplanes, or electric gliders, are intended for soaring thermals. They are lightweight with large wingspans.

Comment

As for AS3X and SAFE, I have found that, at least for me when flying 1 meter plus size planes, they don’t make any difference in the way they fly.

i have owned planes like the Flightline F8F and the P-39 Cobra II 980 mm. No stabilization or SAFE. Both fly rock solid and as if on rails. Even in windy weather they track very well. I also have some of the E flite warbirds with AS3X and again, I don’t see any difference.

As for flying sailplanes, I fly them without and gyros or other aids. I have flown a Volo and a Sense-all with no stabilization or SAFE.

I believe that if one needs SAFE to fly a model in its entirety, then one is not ready to fly that model. Last weekend one pilot who had never flown a low wing plane tried to fly a 1.2 m P-51 equipped with SAFE and AS3X. It was a miracle he did not crash. SAFE and AS3X do not convert a warbird into a trainer if one has no experience flying.

Comment

Originally posted by zepovinho210 View Post
              I believe that if one needs SAFE to fly a model in its entirety, then one is not ready to fly that model. Last weekend one pilot who had never flown a low wing plane tried to fly a 1.2 m P-51 equipped with SAFE and AS3X. It was a miracle he did not crash. SAFE and AS3X do not convert a warbird into a trainer if one has no experience flying.
              It may be your "belief", so let me just end my reply at that.

Comment

Here is an example of how SAFE and AS3X don’t make a warbird into a trainer: This is from RCGroups in the forum about the new 1.2 m P-51 Cripes A Mighty. It is not just my “belief.” I have seen many pilots at the flying field who become so over dependent on SAFE and gyros to the point of being completely unable to fly without them. I have seen pilots who learn the hard way that SAFE and gyros don’t turn hot planes into trainers for first time pilots.

SAFE can be of assistance for an absolute beginner - look at it as training wheels on a bike and nothing else. As soon as the basics have been mastered, it’s time to stop using SAFE.
                A very eventful maiden, and the limitations of SAFE

Today, while I was preparing to fly the FMS P-39 Cobra II, one guy came to the field with a brand new P-51 Cripes. He had several difficulties even before getting airborne.

1. He mentioned that he had never flown a low wing plane of any kind , much less a P-51.
                2. He was unaware of the correct CG or programming the timer of his TX to avoid running out of battery
                3. He had a great deal of trouble programming his radio for the P-51.

Since I was heading to fly. I decided to help him prep the plane for its maiden. I did help him with finding the correct CG and programming SAFE in his radio. I did give him pointers regarding how to take off a taildragger as well as to prepare to counteract the torque to the left with right rudder while on the takeoff roll.

He took off on SAFE and the plane immediately ballooned almost out of sight. He had no idea why the plane was doing this and was trying desperately to prevent it from climbing out of sight-it was quickly specking out.

This is one limitation of SAFE-it won’t save you if you have absolutely no idea how to fly the plane or how to react to it. Yes, it won’t loop or fall into tip stalls but that tendency to balloon can be very nerve wrecking for a pilot who does not know how to react to it.

I did tell him to take SAFE off. The plane stopped ballooning but now he struggled to bring it to a comfortable altitude. The plane still wanted to climb. The pilot kept asking why and I trimmed his plane down while he handled the sticks. He really struggled to control the plane-tight banks, going near tip stalling, unintended maneuvers. He really struggled to bring the plane down.

Finally it was time to land. Since it was windy, the plane really slowed down to a crawl and he landed without incident.

Still, this does show that SAFE is not going to help if the pilot is not ready to fly the particular plane. He thought that the plane did not fly well because of the wind but then I flew my 1.2 m Corsair and had him watch how I flew it, giving him pointers regarding how to fly (both planes being similar regarding fly envelopes). I also flew my non-SAFE, non AS3X FMS P-39 to show that the planes could fly well in wind. I did explain to him what SAFE and AS3X do and what they don’t do for the pilot-I see a lot of dependency on SAFE and gyros and in my opinion it’s best to stop using them once one learns to fly. Finally, he saw another pilot fly the very same Cripes P-51 plane flawlessly.

The second flight was less eventful. He could take off without incident but again, the plane ballooned almost out of sight when he relied on SAFE. I told him to take it off and go easy on the controls and keep the speed up-he was flying on the verge of tip stalling. This kept going on for the duration of the flight-ballooning, near tip stalls. unintended maneuvers. The plane was obviously badly trimmed and I kept telling him to trim the elevator down. The landing ended up in a nose over off the runway but no damage.

Message: even if the plane has SAFE and AS3X or other aids, if you are not prepared to handle its flying envelope, these devices are not going to save you. I did show him how AS3X does not save you. I climbed to altitude in the Corsair and then I asked the student to watch me release the sticks. The plane merrily continued its bank toward the ground. I then pulled up to normal flight and told him that AS3X does not prevent crashes but simply smooths out things like a windy days. As for SAFE, if you apply it too low and too late in an emergency situation, it might not save you from a crash. It also, for me. interferes with having complete control of the plane. I maidened all my Eflite planes with SAFE off and I never install gyros on PNP planes.

Comment

Since you won't leave it alone as I was about to, let me give a longer reply. I'm calling BS on your post. Before I continue, a reminder that this thread was about AS3X/SAFE on a RADIAN sailplane. Nobody was talking about a warbird and making it fly like a trainer. That was all you.

Your first post in this thread said that it made no difference in the way your plane flies with or without AS3X/SAFE. Your next post said the beginner's plane ballooned with SAFE. What do these two statements tell you? It tells me that in one case or the other OR BOTH, the set up of the plane or the gyro or both were not done correctly.

All your dissertation does is to show that a person who is just learning how to fly an RC plane can't fly one with SAFE either. The next thing it shows is that you have NO IDEA how to set up an AS3X/SAFE receiver. NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY should take off in AS3X or SAFE until the plane is tested, set up properly and trimmed in the air and the necessary adjustments made. Properly set up, tested and trimmed in the air, neither AS3X nor SAFE will EVER cause a plane to balloon. The fact that it did only indicates that it was NOT set up properly. SAFE, when properly set up, CAN save you but that depends on the conditions at the time. AS3X will NEVER save you. That's NOT what it's for.
                  I know many, many, many intermediate and even expert RC pilots who use gyros (AS3X) and recovery mode (SAFE). They are flying "aids" and assitants, NOT learning tools or crutches. People who usually diss on gyros and the like are usually those who have no clue as to how to set them up, what their purpose is really for or understand how they work and why they work.
                  Oh, and I've seen a few new pilots myself who brought a brand new plane with AS3X/SAFE to the field and some ballooned on SAFE. Those turned out that the plane was NOT set up properly and neither was the RX set up properly for the plane. The owners had no clue how the plane and/or the RX needed to be set up, tested AND calibrated.

I will not continue this as it's SO off topic for this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X