X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flite Radian XL

Will Motion be carrying this plane? Rumor has it it will be released on Thursday?
    Lauren

Lauren, if I understand correctly from everything that I've read on this new plane, Thursday is the day that Horizon Hobby will have it on their website. It will likely be on "pre-order" at that time. It's supposed to be available in the summer (not sure what that means). Since Motion carries most Horizon Hobby products, of which Eflite is but one, I'm sure it will be available from them.
    Reading all the stuff on the thread from the other forum, you'd think it was a "gong show". People with a limited amount of information are fighting with each other over whether or not it will only be available as a BNF and with only the AS3X. Speculation abound as to the AS3X destroying the sailing capabilities of such a plane. I can tell you that it will not. All of my current sailplanes have some sort of stabilizer and Return to Home on them and they all are excellent sailplanes. As for saying that having only a BNF is a deal breaker, is quite silly and as yet, unfounded. Horizon Hobby (and Eflite) has been putting the AS3X Rx in many of their aircraft BUT they also offer a PNP version as well. The only exceptions to this are the UMX aircraft and those that are targeted strictly at the novice flyer. I am quite confident that the XL WILL be offered as a PNP version as well. As for me, I'll buy either, depending on whether or not I have a spare Rx laying around at the time. Having spoilers (or airbrakes) will be a wonderful feature. They help the sailplane slow down nicely and lose lift very effectively. This can be extremely useful during those times when thermal or wind lift is aggressive. They also are very helpful when trying to do spot landings. Most who have used spoilers or airbrakes know they DO NOT cause "ballooning". You either mix in some UP elevator or manually do it to point the nose up so it lands in a controlled manner. This may make it appear to others watching that the plane is ballooning. Leaving the ELE alone will merely drop the plane and cause it to head for mother earth.
    I am happy to see that nobody who posts here has descended into the ignorance and childishness as witnessed in the other forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
      Will Motion be carrying this plane? Rumor has it it will be released on Thursday?
      Yes, they posted in another thread that they will put it up for preorder once they have a part number.

Comment

Vipe, I read all that stuff over on the "other forum"... LOL! That's why I stay over here. Hahahaha! It is a good spot for information and I actually have a login but I think I have posted maybe twice? I like you guys better.... :)

As for the plane? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO! I am really looking forward to that thing!

Thanks Vipe and DKal!
        Lauren

Comment

I'm quite excited about this plane too. I mentioned it to a few people at Horizon and they were stunned I knew about it. They did not say anything but I got the impression they were a bit upset a former Horizon employee started the thread in the other forum about a plane they had not yet announced. They did not provide any time frame but Motion RC will certainly have it on the site as soon as it has a price and a part number.

Comment

What was that old saying Tom? Loose lips sink ships? ;)

What is interesting is that they had a prototype at Joe Nall last week flying which was sure to cause a buzz (and did...!)

It looks beautiful!
            Lauren

Comment

Tom, I'm stunned that they were stunned. Didn't they know something like this would happen if they took samples to Joe Nall? If not for him, somebody else would have started a thread about it. You can't keep stuff like this a secret when you don't even put a little effort into keeping it under wraps. They had it out on display at their Horizon display and they even flew it. Did they make everyone there sign a non-disclosure agreement? Had they brought out a flying manhole cover, someone would have started a thread about it and it would have been all over the internet before the day ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
                Vipe, I read all that stuff over on the "other forum"
                If you're referring to RCG then I saw it too, I like this place much better as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                  Tom, I'm stunned that they were stunned. Didn't they know something like this would happen if they took samples to Joe Nall? If not for him, somebody else would have started a thread about it....
                  I 100% agree. It created some buzz so they should be happy about that. I imagine it will be officially announced and priced very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

If you're referring to RCG then I saw it too, I like this place much better as well.

That's the place! ;)
                    Lauren

Comment

I checked Horizons website this morning and the Radian XL is there, $229 BNF.

The Radian XL 2.6m BNF Basic by E-flite is a quality built remote controlled airplane. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

Comment

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks DKal! And, drum roll please, there is a part number so Motion can list it! EFL5550

I'm jumping on this one....!
                        Lauren

Comment

I was excited until I saw no ailerons. That means you cannot do some things like camber or crow. Maybe not a big deal for most people but I was kinda wanting to play with those features.

Comment

Oh jeez but it's beautiful DKal! There is just something about the original Radian looks that I love and they kept the same outline. Camber and crow would be cool but I'm okay with no ailerons or flaps.
                            Lauren

Comment

I was excited until I saw no ailerons. That means you cannot do some things like camber or crow. Maybe not a big deal for most people but I was kinda wanting to play with those features.
                              I mentioned this in the other XL thread ........................... Of all the Radians and Radian Pros at our flying field, almost all of the Pro guys have shelved their planes and gone to the regular Radian. At least for us, sailplaning is an activity of relaxation and simplicity. The added features of a full house sailplane just takes away from that philosophy. Certainly if you are competing, these may come in handy. And of course, if it's something you've always wanted to "play with", then by all means.
                              A couple of the Pro guys found their planes somewhat hard to fly and hard to sail with the rest of us. It wasn't till I helped them install a stabilizer and Return to Home module that they were able to fly their planes more comfortably. As for the experienced Pro guys, their sailplanes did not perform any "better" than the regular Radians did for the type of flying that these things were designed for. About the only thing they could do better was a roll. Crow, reflex, etc, was of no advantage to the leisure flyer. None of us compete so these finer features are lost on us. I've gone through several full house sailplanes and those are all gone. Since those times, I have only targeted "rudder, elevator" type sailplanes. Spoilers are a very nice bonus.

BTW, I'll be getting one as soon as they are available in Canadian stores. We'll see if we can get a slightly better deal on 3 or 4 of them.

Comment

Thanks for the info xviper2. I wonder if those thoughts were reasons why ailerons and flaps were left off the pro. I may still order one because for the most part I want simple and relaxation.

Comment

The Radian is awesome. I fully expect this plane will be great too. A full house glider is a different experience. This is more of a "relax and fly" where a full house it perhaps a tad bit more work (though still very rewarding). We set this up on our new web site and are testing pre-order functionality. We'll get it setup on the current web site in a bit - still testing pre-order functionality on the new site.

Comment

Tom; I've got a $25 off code from HH for taking their survey. Any chance that can be used at MRC or can I only use it at HH?

Comment

I wonder if those thoughts were reasons why ailerons and flaps were left off the pro.
                                      They did? I'm not aware of this. As far as I know, the Radian Pro is a "full house" saliplane (complete with AIL and Flaps). I'm also thinking that the Radian Pro "XL" will just be around the corner, as well as the Radian XL PNP.
                                      You may still have a lot of fun with a full house sailplane but personally, after having several of those, I'm no longer inclined in that direction. I don't miss the ability to do rolls or mess with crow, reflex or full span ailerons or flaps/spoilers. Most of the time, I forgot which switch to throw to get the various different functions and ended up not using them.

Comment

OK, I'm going to have to eat my words about the ability to roll with ailerons. Here's the latest video release on this plane and I'd like to know how they rolled it so easily without ailerons. :huh: I LOVED it!

Comment

Working...
                                        X