X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80mm EFLITE OPTERRA

My project, is bending my mind. Help me out if you can, opine me please! I hope to tap the knowledge of edf jet jockeys, Opterra owners, and scratch build engineers!
    I'll fly the Opterra Bind-N-Fly with Safe Select while I build it.
    Here are my parts to assemble something that should fly:

Eflite Opterra(2) one BNF and one PNP

FW 80mm 12 blade metal EDF 3530-1750kv

FW 100A ESC (F5E)

FW Super Scorpion complete retracts

The issues I'm running into are numerous but I'll try to update the building progress with pictures. This won't be a scale warbird, but I'm aiming for an early 50's experimental fighter/bomber look, like the Northrop X-4, Vought F7U, and DH 108 Swallow.
    The Opterra has a hollow wing, I can't mount the main gear in the wing using the plastic mounts. I'll have to open the wing and use plywood, or extend wood mounts out from the fuselage. See the photo.
    Would you position the fan near the CG, or behind nearer the tail with a shorter thust tube?
    How long is the FW Venom thrust tube?
    Are the 13g elevon servos up to the task, or would 17g digital mg servos from MRC be a wise upgrade?
    Has anyone tried flying the Opterra with its winglets removed? Seems feasible to me with the Safe receiver? Happy Easter everyone!

I mounted retracts with printed inserts,they are mounted farther out in the wing and work perfectly. These can be ordered for US residents only just google opterra retracts.
    Let me know how you make out with edf,sounds like great idea
    Spyder1

Comment

Working...
    X