X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Sky Glider Propellers?

Actually, I have 2 questions. How do you "Press on" a propeller on a Hawk Sky without removing the motor?Secondly upon launching the Hawk Sky by hand....does anyone feel their plane wanting to dive nose down just before launch as you speed up the motor? I am afraid it will just crash straight down as I throw it?

Re: Hawk Sky Glider Propellers?

The Hawksky prop is a press fit. You need to grasp the motor shaft with small Vise Grips & twist the prop off pulling as you twist. It's really not a good system & can easily be rectified by getting a collet/spinner combo from your LHS or online. The prop shaft is 2.26mm(.089). You can then change the stock prop to an APC 6 X 5.5E or the 6.5 X 5.0E(what I use)(Max dia.) for much better performance. As for "nose diving", typical until airspeed is achieved. I use a JR10X computer radio, so I programmed in some "up" Elevator on my Gear switch for hand launching & once airborne & climbing, I switch "off" the Gear switch. It makes it so much easier than trying to quickly reach for the elevator stick fast enough to avoid crashing. Or, have someone hand launch it for you while you add some "up" Elevator. I don't use landing gear as this plane is a good belly-lander w/a layer of reinforced shipping tape on the bottom of the fuse & all the leading edges. The Hawksky is a superb plane for learning 4ch w/ailerons & the Hawksky can take a real "beating" when properly reinforced. Here's some pics of my setup & what I did to make mine a great evening "relaxing" airtime. Here's some pics....

Denny
    Attached Files
    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

You have wonderful advice. I like your motor-prop set up. Does it weigh much? A real nice guy from Alabama sent be a prop that I have been trying to get for weeks. Maybe I can make it last. Your Hawk Sky shows beautifully how you use that packing tape. I am in process of doing the same. These howling West Tex winds will make me need it for sure. Thank you for your advice.
      Charles

Comment

Hey Charles,
        You're most welcome. The replacement motor weighs the same as the stock one. The APC prop may weigh a few grams more...nothing to be concerned over. I like the HS as it climbs well & will thermal easily under the right conditions. As long as you have a breeze(<12mph), the HS will fly over a half-hour on a 2200mah battery(power on for climbing only). The packing tape really prevents a lot of wear & tear on grass/field conditions & makes the plane a bit stiffer for better control. Don't hesitate to ask anything else.

Denny
        *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
        *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

RE: Hawk Sky Glider Propellers?

Great advice man.

Comment

RE: Hawk Sky Glider Propellers?

That is some great advice. I never really thought of using packing tape on the belly landers.
            Still Learning:D

Comment

Working...
            X