• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RocHobby V-Tail Glider

this is a great flying plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1AxMr00EKc

Re: RocHobby V-Tail Glider

Check closely before each flying session to make sure the tail boom hasn't "bowed" to one side or the other. If it has, the next flight will be short and will end very badly.

Comment

What would make it do that, WC -- 'bow'?
      Mind sharing your experience?

Comment

Ours maidened beautifully but beware of slow banked downwind turns, it wants some speed thru the cornering, trust me! ;] All is well and it didn't demand much glue.

Comment

<i>"...and it didn't demand much glue."</i>
          Ballast. We call that 'ballast'. *ahem* <smiley image="smiley_whistling.gif"/>

Comment

I don't really know what caused the tail boom to bow. I noticed it after a pretty dramatic cartwheel, but I don't believer that's what caused it. Conversely, I think the bow was what caused the roll during launch which resulted in the cartwheel. It was easy enough to straighten by slowly and carefully bending it in the opposite direction. Much easier than gluing the nose back on.

Comment

P.S. The plane had a hard landing at the end of the previous flying session, but had been aloft for almost a half hour, cruising around quite normally until I slowed it down too much with the flaps on landing approach.

Comment

RE: RocHobby V-Tail Glider

Any thoughts on how ROC V-tail compares to say other popular gliders like Radian / Radian Pro, or Calypso?

Also, jstock... I'm curious about your camera and mount could you say a bit about that and/or post some photos?
                Sea2Sky2See

Comment

I just took possession of my new Roc 2.2m V tail yesterday and began its assembly. Unfortunately my 2 year old Great Grandson is visiting, (he gets into everything), so the final assembly was not ready to fly today. I own a Radian and I have seen The Calypso on a few occasions so after I get a few flights under my belt I may be able to answer Dparture's question.

Comment

I got together with several of my flying buddies and we gave the V tail its maiden fight and then some. Everyone who took the controls were impressed with the way she handled, responding to even the lightest touch and tracking straight and true. The V Tail is not the ultra floater that the Radian is but it does have a very respectable glide ratio. It has a great rate of climb without being radical and difficult to control like the Radian. One of the guys had to do some aerobatics and although the V tail is not a sport plane she performed Loops, Rolls, stall turns and hammerheads. We all agreed that the V Tail is an outstanding craft and a couple of the group will be ordering their own in the next week or so. As far as comparing the V Tail to the other sailplanes, there is really no comparison, each plane is a different type of sailplane with different flying characteristics. In my book, the V Tail is a keeper and a fun addition to my fleet.

Comment

Super cool video "jstock"

Comment

I know this is an old thread... But someone at my field brought one of these brand new to the field last weekend. A thing of beauty! I loved the way that the wings pinned into the fuse.

But flying it was another story...

The owner, I remember saying... "... I hear that you're supposed to throw it flat without power and then slowly juice it up..." But the other pro at the field, who flies everything perfectly and seems to never loose orientation, even though the plane is a little dot in the sky, said... "No, give it juice and I'll throw it up for you..."

I king of agreed with this... As I have a V-Tail warmliner. Not quite as big, but it goes straight up... But my agreement was silent. Thankfully...

Threw up at about a 45 degree angle, gas on, and a loop and into the ground, Broke the nose off bad. Wings pulled out of the fuse and broke at the holes... A total catastrophe!

I don't know what happened???

Comment

Guess the first guy was right huh?? I would have taken the pro's advice too but I'll bet the pro was kicking himself afterwards thinking he had given bad advice. I went and watched a bunch of videos on the glider (I'm bored...) and the launches looked pretty normal for gliders. My Radian is just half throttle and a very gentle toss. Maybe full throttle with a little too much up elevator was just too much?
                          Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
                            Guess the first guy was right huh?? I would have taken the pro's advice too but I'll bet the pro was kicking himself afterwards thinking he had given bad advice. I went and watched a bunch of videos on the glider (I'm bored...) and the launches looked pretty normal for gliders. My Radian is just half throttle and a very gentle toss. Maybe full throttle with a little too much up elevator was just too much?
                            Hey Flygirl. I agree. Wish I had a video of it, to dissect what happened... But that sound about right... Too much elevator and full bore possibly...

Comment

Working...
                            X