X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Set up for F4 Phantom twin 70mm

Some time ago one of our Forum members posted a thread regarding the possible production of a FreeWing F4 Phantom. Some time has passed and to of no avail. For those of you who are avid F4 fans, there is hope. After going through trial and error and eventually 5 crashes I have figured out the best way to make your own great flying F4 Phantom without waiting for Freewing to come up with one. At this point LX Models is the only manufacturer who makes an EPO F4 Phantom in the twin 70mm class. Banana Hobby and General Hobby seem to be the only vendors selling the KIT version. I would not recommend the PNP version because LX electronics are mainly junk. I suggest using all digital metal gear servos from Freewing.. Glue the slats to the wings and throw away all the plastic hardware that comes with the kit for the slats. The Slats that come with this model do not make much of a difference in flight and are nothing but a maintenance headache. I built two F4 models, one with a Camo Paint job and the other Navy Gray. The Camo version was equipped with FMS 1850kv 2860 motors and the Navy Gray version was equipped with Freewing 2150KV 3048 motors. Both set ups had twin 80A HobbyWing ESCs. A cheater hole cover from Freewing F86 was used in both cases to optimize the Jet whooshing sound. The location of the cheater hole was the deleted ESC foam cover, under the fuselage. Admiral 6S 5000 mah battery was used in both cases. The flight time with the FMS motors was 3 minutes and the Freewing motors was only 2 minutes. The remaining battery charge for both cases were in the mid 30%. The phantom with the FreeWing motors seem to fly just slightly faster, however it did not justify the diminished flight time. Based on my experience, I would recommend the FMS motors, hands down. I am including some of the photos from both models and YouTube Links of the Maiden Flights. Hope my efforts will be useful for those of you who would love to build a decent flying F4 Phantom.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X