X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on a 70mm T-38 Talon

I have been bugging Alpha for over a year for a T-38 Talon, now more prefurably a 70mm 6s set up over an 80 mm. What are everyone's thoughts out there in Hobby Squawk universe on the subject.
    My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Oh, by the way I am meaning a single fan set up.
    My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Comment

That looks an awful lot like an F-5, which already exists in 80mm form.

Comment

delete

Comment

The F-5 was derived from the T-38. Been flying the 80 mm F-5 from MRC for two years. It's a great flying jet.

Comment

I'd be interested in a twin 70 or 80 mm. The FW F-5 is too small for my liking and not very grass capable. Something with twins and bigger wheels could do well on nicely manicured grass runways.

Oh yea, and being retired USAF, I'd like to see it in the basic white, and you could do an ENJJPT version for some variety.

Just my 2 cents,

Sean
            Last edited by EDFjetpilot; Oct 18, 2017, 08:00 PM. Reason: Added scheme preference

Comment

I am in the process of converting the 80 mm F-5 into the F-5B or with more work into a T-38.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Jets View Post
                I am in the process of converting the 80 mm F-5 into the F-5B or with more work into a T-38.
                show us what you'd do.

Comment

I'd like an 80mm, T-38. Yes it is very similar in appearance to the F-5, but the livery opportunities are much better on the T-38 than the F-5. Thunderbirds, NASA, various trainer schemes and plenty of foreign air force schemes.

I converted my Freewing F-5 to a T-38 stand in. It is okay from a few feet, but Freewing could do it much better!

Comment

I spoke to Alpha several times this year about this subject. He explained to me that the parting line on there 80 mm F-5 was designed to offer the tandem cockpit nose but it's not a in the books to do right now, the mold would cost 10 grand. I am working on my own nose conversion to do the F-5B and or the T-38. I am vacuum forming a canopy and cockpit tub and if I do the T-38 I will vacuum form intake lips and wing tips. The intakes are different in the T-38 and the wing root strakes need to be removed and filled in. I have been flying the 80 mm F-5 for about two years now. Great flying plane.

Comment

I decided for my purposes I could live with the F-5 intakes, but I did remove the wing root fillets. I flattened and added the T to the top of the vertical stab. I spliced two cockpits together and move the canopy forward.

If you look close it is far from a T-38, but like I said, in the air, most folks won't notice. Like you said, it is a good flying plane.

If you get the intake inlets and canopy worked out, I'd be interested in buying a set.

Comment

105mm twin fan f5b !

Comment

Wow... I like what you did Wvrailfan. I will start a thread when I get past the molds for the vacuum formed parts. Its going to be a pretty comprehensive mod because I am going to replicate the correct shape and blend the canopy and front fuselage to the rear half. The nose gear will have to be moved forward with full gear doors, the only downside is on the real T-38 the landing gear folds forward. I hope the mods don't alter the flight characteristics to much. Over 50% of the lift comes the fuselage on the real one.

Comment

Working...
                          X