Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F/A-18 64mm EDF's?

Greetings Gang,

I have been having a blast lately flying some of the 64mm EDF's available from MRC.
    So for I've been flying the A-10, Turbojet, F9F, F-16, etc...

Has anyone flown the new Freewing F/A-18 64mm 3s or 4s EDFs yet?

I'd be interested in your review..... It would be really helpful if MRC would do some review videos on these babies.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
    in Okla.

Re: Freewing F/A-18 64mm EDF's?

We have a slight backlog of videos with so many new exciting products coming out. But it should come at some point.

I've logged about 35 flights on this aircraft. The aircraft is very stable and flies a lot like the Stinger 64 4s, so if a pilot is comfortable with similarly sized EDFs, this F-18 would make an easy addition to the fleet without too steep a learning curve. With the landing gear down the F-18 is a little slower than the Stinger 64 4s. But it turns quickly yet stably and holds inverted positions very well. I flew it on a 4s 2200 and 4s 2500. There is also space for 4 S 3000, without cutting anything, but I would recommend a 2500 for weight concerns. Hand tossing is easy, the fan gives good thrust and sounds very smooth. The small wheels are best for paved surfaces, or very smooth and short mowed grass.

Aesthetics-wise, it is a great semi-scale representation of the real jet. I especially liked the thin plastic exhaust nozzles instead of thick foam nozzles, and the scale landing gear covers instead of plain bare wire.

The model assembles quickly in about 20 minutes: screw on the wings and horizontal stabilizers, plug in the landing gear, and glue on the vertical stabilizers, noise cone, and wingtip missile rails.

Flight time with the Admiral 4s 2500mah 60c is 4 minutes with throttle management, with extra juice to spare.

All in all this is another great jet from Freewing at a great price!

Comment

RE: Freewing F/A-18 64mm EDF's?

I'm thinking of snagging the 4S 64mm Royal Maces F-18 and remove the gear and make it a belly lander. The F-18 is one of my favorite American jets...If I snag one soon, I'll post here what I think...
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Greetings Aros,

Sounds Great......

I will be looking forward to your review.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
        in Okla.

Comment

https://youtu.be/721Oj98WBGY

Here's an F/A-18 64mm flight vid on 4S.  Hand launch, belly landing, a lot of full throttle low passes, split S's, etc. (my split S's need some work though).  Viewed best at 480p (on my computer.)

Comment

Sweet flight there, I love the way those 64MM fly through the air. They are so simple and a great way to get a flight in just about anywhere! I've been flying mine off the side of the road at times, just to see how easy it is. Here in my area, there are lots of corn, potatoes or onion fields. So, I can fly along most of the major back roads of the area. This is a lot more fun to fly than pilots realize!

Cheers! Matt

Comment

Long time ago, but thanks Matt for your kind comments!

https://youtu.be/nmah25CdB9s

Quick vid (33 seconds) of a handlaunch and then full throttle low pass...love this plane!
              Attached Files

Comment

I love these 64mm F/A-18Es. I hope some day a larger version of these come out with flaps and retracts. The current 90mm Super Hornet offering from Freewing is way off scale-wise, whereas these 64mm Super Hornets are almost perfect.

Comment

Working...
                X