X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAe Hawk bouncy landing

The Bae Hawk is an excellent flying jet. It has a great glide path and floats nice during landings. However my biggest disappointment comes during landings. Our airfield has a paved asphalt runway. I am flying this jet with stock landing gears. Every time I make an attempt to land,, no matter how slow and smooth my approach it bounces 4 or 5 times before it lands upside down or cart wheels.. At first I thought it might be my piloting skills but I had other experienced pilots fly this jet, and the end results were always the same. I wonder if the upgraded wheels fix this issue. I would appreciate your comments.
    Thanks

I have the fw70mm yak 130 wich has the same style landing gear,similar size,6s4000 battery. The gear is quite stiff and unforgiving (like my ex wife...). I have had good success with full flaps,chop throttle at landing threshold with eye level altitude then a foot off ground start pulling elevator enough to keep it from touching down. Ends up in a high alpha attitude and "plops" on the mains with inch or so drop. Really bleeds off the speed, not enough energy to get re-airborne. I almost never try to grease a full scale type landing with it like most of my others. If the nose wheel touches first its heartbreak and tears. I do think based on my experience with shock absorbing gear(mig 21,avanti,eurofighter) vs non(64mm a 10,yak 130,all of my 1100mm warbirds)that shock absorbing gear can really help less than perfect landings and prevent some bounce (mostly that second bounce).
    Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Watch the videos and see what's going on. Just like Rob says you have to bleed the speed off, I'll add that committing to your back pressure will help as well. If your bouncing you are simply too fast it doesn't matter how much stick time you have.

Comment

Yep, sound like me with the Avanti!! Right Ryan!! Ryan and Mike gave me some great pointers on landing these dang thingsLOL.
        Level fuselage, control your descent with throttle, raise the nose just above the ground to bleed off speed and settle her in on her mains. I've got a lot better at it, but every once in a while. If she starts bucking, hold that stick back or as Ryan says, commit to the back pressure and she smartens up pretty quickly.
        The things you learn at Nefi!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks Fellas
          will try it this weekend

Comment

I Tried every which way to land this Jet. It's not pilot error, This this is a hopping bunny when it comes to landings. I won't be buying another one. Instead I bought the FMS 80mm BAe Hawk. Its more expensive but well worth it. For some reason MotionRC did not publish my review on the BAe Hawk.

Comment

Part of the problem is that most people start with taildraggers, like Cubs, then go to warbirds, which about 95% are tail draggers. I had the reverse problem, learning on a Cessna type, then going to warbirds and I still have problems with nose-overs. But my 1st EDF was a 50mm Hawk, and I have a 70mm, but from another manufacturer than FREEWING.
              I recommend that before you go EDF, you find a plane that has TRICYCLE landing gear, and use it to get your landings perfected.

Comment

Working...
              X