X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Rebel V2

I realize there's not much out there on this plane yet as it's just been re-introduced.

I'm looking to buy the kit version and stuff it with recycled components from some early retirements( don't ask). Have a Dynam 70mm edf/motor setup as well as Freewing 70mm edf/motor setup available.

Have a few questions:

1). What are the major improvements in the V2 over the original Cobra?
    2). Does this plane stand a chance on grass?  Will LG handle short grass or too much drag ?
    3). Has anyone tried installing an AR636a( from PZ Sukhoi) in an edf?   My thinking is that if anything needs a panic button, it's an edf that tucks hard into uncontrollable spin.

Cheers,

Dave
    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

RE: Freewing Rebel V2

Originally posted by dahawk
    I realize there's not much out there on this plane yet as it's just been re-introduced.

I'm looking to buy the kit version and stuff it with recycled components from some early retirements( don't ask). Have a Dynam 70mm edf/motor setup as well as Freewing 70mm edf/motor setup available.

Have a few questions:

1). What are the major improvements in the V2 over the original Cobra?
    2). Does this plane stand a chance on grass?  Will LG handle short grass or too much drag ?
    3). Has anyone tried installing an AR636a( from PZ Sukhoi) in an edf?   My thinking is that if anything needs a panic button, it's an edf that tucks hard into uncontrollable spin.

Cheers,

Dave
    [hr]
    Assembly is a snap, and in just a few minutes the Rebel 70 was together and ready for a balance check. Our 2550 mAh 4s pack just barely achieved C.G. balance with the pack shoved full forward. Best stick with a 3000mAh plus 4s pack if you want more balance options and good run-times!

Take-off makes you aware of the near-neutral wing incidence and you’ll have to apply some up elevator. Once airborne, the Rebel was completely at home with good thrust and great handling characteristics. As you would expect in a shorter-winged sport jet design, the rolls are fast and crisp. The Rebel exhibits the same handling at both cruise and full-throttle which is always a good thing because you’re going to need every bit of control on the landings. Typical of an EDF jet, the Rebel 70 doesn’t like to sit down on the runway. Glide slopes are long and hot and you have to drive the Rebel to the ground a bit. Once in ground effect, the Rebel likes to keep popping it’s head up so at some point you just have to commit to the landing and convince it to the ground.

The EPO foam that they is using on the Rebel is top of it’s class with all the characteristics we’ve come to expect in the most durable material on the market. With that said, part of your pre-flight is pressing the stickers back to the foam a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The landing gear on the Rebel 70 is made of extremely springy steel, so if you’re crabbing a bit too much, expect that you’ll be eating up your tire sidewalls and your ground tracking is going to take an interesting line. The Rebel 70 tests your “wing-to-wheel” skills with even a moderate crosswind so keep that in mind when choosing the day and location for your first few flights.

If you have a lot of prevailing winds at your favorite flying spot, the Rebel is a master at cutting the air so this would be a good EDF option, even with the trickier landings. All in all, a great flying, affordable, tough little jet that will keep you smiling from build to flight.
    [hr]
    The Rebel also has the spring type retract. In grass these perform well, because they spring forward. In most cases these work best for grass with the added spring; to help minimize sticking in place. I would say the Rebel will be light enough and powerful enough to fly off grass. Until we can test it, we are only speculating from past experiences. Most pilots find a similarity with various airframes of past models, this one has been around before with close content from other vendors. Now Freewing is known for fine examples of EDF jets, this shouldn't be anything less than what they currently have to offer. Excellent products to put it mildly. In the past, we could only imagine such an airplane existed. Something fun, simple to understand and operate is what this is all about. No more long build times, expensive parts to complete a model. They are simply a plug & play airframe with fair quality parts, depending on what your used to buying. So far, most of the EDF jets I have purchased from Freewing have lasted about a year. With the normal breakage, with a retract; or servo from time to time. I have to say the glass is half full, not half empty! Enjoy, this ones a keeper.

Cheers, Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt,

Helpful. I think I may go ahead with this one in kit form. I have the required innards ready to go. Might as well use them.  Then I'll go with the 80mm F5N

Might wait till Black Friday to see if there's more incentive.

Salutations,

Dave  :)
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Can anyone comment on how they set up their rx? Just wondering what yous are using and where you are mounting it. I have had some trouble fitting the 3000 mah battery in (specifically the cable itself). figured that out after a bit, but still wondering about the rx. it's mighty tight in there!

Any other notes on flying/landing appreciated. I'll be flying off of 450 foot runway - no grass. Getting ready to maiden as soon as I figure out the rx and set up throws etc. I have an Admiral 3000 mah batt and around 1 oz in the nose for cg.

Comment

Working...
        X