You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harrier EDF FROM MOTION RC.....☺ I hope they will have them built for us.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrier EDF FROM MOTION RC.....☺ I hope they will have them built for us.

I put in a request, I would love to be the first one to put in my pre order.
    The convergence is nice, but I'd like to fly the Harrier, I think they could sell
    a lot of them, Motion is probably the most likely vendor/builder to bring them
    to market.
    Edit: 70mm + - twin edf (mains) , 4s / 6s

I had suggested the Harrier a while ago along with the F-35B, below is the link to the that thread. The issue with the Harrier is that it would have to have VTOL capability for it to be worth it. There would be not point to it with out that capability.
    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...df-development

This video explains how the VTOL system work in the Harrier.

Here is a video of a miniature RC turbine replica of the Pegasus engine used in the Harrier. It could be possible to make an electric version but i think it would need to be a single 90mm to provide the thrust needed.

Comment

On a similar note the AV-8B Harrier was recently released for the DCS world flight simulator which now makes it the most realistic simulation of the Harrier currently available.
      I am waiting for it to go on sale before I buy it and start learning how to fly the harrier.

Comment

Evoman,
        Yes of course, I would have ZERO interest in an edf harrier that didn't function similarly to a harrier, that is the
        essence of a Harrier for me.
        As mentioned, the Convergence is nice, it has vtol but it is no harrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
          On a similar note the AV-8B Harrier was recently released for the DCS world flight simulator which now makes it the most realistic simulation of the Harrier currently available.
          I am waiting for it to go on sale before I buy it and start learning how to fly the harrier.

I think you will love it, not at first probably , but if you fall in love with what it can do, you're gonna'
          be really happy with it imo.
          It is very much like a Heliplane ☺☺ a bit confounding at first but after some seat time you stop
          crashing every 8 seconds. I have it on realflight.

Comment

I have the V-22 Osprey and it has characteristics that make it more difficult to fly in some instances and easier to fly in others (comparing with the Convergence). The trouble with making a Harrier fly properly with rotating thrust nozzles will be all in the flight controller programming. An EDF with rotating nozzles would be a nightmare to make work. The development involved may not be worth the eventual sales figures generated.
            I don't think either the Convergence or the V-22 could be considered a sales success. Those who like them, really like them. Those who don't like them, really hate them.

Comment

Realistically, an RC Harrier with rotating nozzles would at best be STOL, not VSTOL, unless a willing compromise would be to install small quadcopter-like fans in the wings for stability but disengage in forward flight.

Comment

HARRIER RC , ventola da 90 mm, peso 2,5 kg, 7 celle da 3300 ventola het , carrelli rerattili, ventola di servizio direzionale da 64 mm. alimentata con 3 cell...

Comment

Monoventola da 70mm, motore 2w20, batterie 2200 , 4 celle , peso 1 kg. Riproduce il MARTIN LOOCKHEED F35 VTOL.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                    Realistically, an RC Harrier with rotating nozzles would at best be STOL, not VSTOL, unless a willing compromise would be to install small quadcopter-like fans in the wings for stability but disengage in forward flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSG0n-mv2I
                    You are behind on what is now possible with electronics and 3D printing. Check out this scale F-35B with a replica rear exhaust that swivels down just like in the real thing. It also features side air bleed valves for stability just like in the real one.
                    You can find an extensive development of it at this blog. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...el-duct/page48

Comment

That is one way to do it, but requires a giant hole in the top and bottom, with controlled vanes on the EDF. I would think the more scale approach would be to use quad 50s, one for each nozzle. That would give it the independent thrust control needed to stabilize the aircraft in hover and transition. However, this would add quite a bit of weight and complexity to the model.

Comment

Yep Evoman, that F-35 is beautiful! I would love to see Freewing take it on with the same attention to scale fidelity!

Comment

Looks like this is where that F-35 stands now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5A5e0whG8I

At that complexity and scale, and the internal volume it takes up, it does not make sense to make it out of foam for weight and structural purposes. Are MotionRC and/or Freewing going to move into the composite market?

Comment

Not a huge fan of the F35, but any sort of VTOL component like this or the Harrier makes me want one. Like. Now.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                              Looks like this is where that F-35 stands now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5A5e0whG8I

At that complexity and scale, and the internal volume it takes up, it does not make sense to make it out of foam for weight and structural purposes. Are MotionRC and/or Freewing going to move into the composite market?
                              That is actually a pretty good replica of the Pegasus engine and system found in the Harrier not the F-35B. They could easy design and mass produce a foam shell around that system, that is the easy part.
                              A lot of these one off custom builds are using composites because its easier and cheaper for them to fabricate. It is a lot more expensive to make a mold to make a good looking foam airplane, but for a large company thats the cheaper option because they can mas produce it and make up the cost of investing in a foam mold.

Comment

I think you toss around the word "easy" too ... easily.

I don't think composite planes are easier and cheaper to fabricate compared to, say, carving a foam block.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

EDIT: Sorry about the jumbled typing, I don't think the format gave me a 'what you see is what you
                                  get view' . I Always try to paragraph , punctuate and all that, not sure what went wrong......:shrugs:

ha haa, yes very nice, I checked that out, it looks pretty amazing, down the Vegas Strip too... very cool. Personally though, I love all
                                  the realism in the cockpit and all the technical pre flight checks, tech packages and all, but would prefer the option to shut
                                  all that off and just be able to fly the bird from several diff perspectives, one being from the ground, because that is where
                                  I'll be flying my MOTIONRC Harrier AV8B when they finally come out with it (☺☺) , and of course a cockpit view and following
                                  view so I can enjoy my tours all over the world.
                                  One day these sims will be real time, where we will be able to virtual fly anywhere and really see 'real scapes' and people
                                  plowing fields and fly to Austrailia or Hawaii and have lunch, though we will still have to eat on the plane☺☺

Comment

Working...
                                  X