You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to see V2 Freewing F-14? or any other FW jet made into a V2 ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like to see V2 Freewing F-14? or any other FW jet made into a V2 ?

As a Freewing EDF owner many times over, I wanted to share my desire for V2 versions of the older gen Freewing Jets.

Specifically, I would love to see a V2 of the F-14. The V2 F-14 could feature updates such as (and most importantly) ditch the old MA series 9g, and 17 servos switch to the awesome new Freewing MD series servos (as featured stock on the A-10/A-4/Avanti). We all know the original Freewing MA servos were far from ideal. They worked most of the time (iv'e had 2 die or have wonky centering in other FW jets), but they are very sloppy and barely sufficient for small jets,...but for a flagship F-14 with big full flying stabs? The new MD servos are great, less slop in the servo arm holes, and the old MA servos be purged from the earth! If you have not experienced what I am talking about, put an Avanti or A-10 next to an F-14 and compare the slop in the ailerons/flaps. you will see what I mean.

Other upgrades could include a switch to the lighter and more efficient 9 blade plastic fans from the A-10 and possibly a different livery. This could breathe some new life into the older kit? Similar to what was done with the SU-35, but maybe even a notch more exciting with new paint.

If Freewing can't find the means to do a full purge...due to workload, cost, etc...can we at least get a special package deal on total servo swap-out kits for the older jets? I don't want to buy a jet and then have to spend $60 on servos to get the quality of servos the jet deserves, and then take the time to swap out all the servos (at least the older jest had the nice servo trays that makes it easier). Many F-14 guys have swapped out to aftermarket servos and that just shouldn't have to be the case.

Would anyone else like to see more V2 Freewing jets? I think the F-14 is most deserving being a flagship model, but I'm thinking there are more jets people would like to see rebooted.

Please don't anyone take this personally...its not meant to be a dig at anyone. These servos were probably designed and specified out 10 years ago and it is what we were stuck with better or worse due to investment momentum. Now there is a new much better solution (MD series servo) that is a drop in replacement, and I am wondering how people feel about it?

I damn near would do anything except die LOL for a V1 1700mm dual 80mm A-6 Intruder. The present 1170mm single 80mm is an OK performer but marginally acceptable for turf.
    The full size Intruder had a 54 ft span which was close to the A-10 span at 57 so a 1700mm version to keep company with the present FW A-10 would be awesome.
    Having served with the largest and oldest attack squadron (VA-35) in the History of the Navy(35-95) during the early 70's, this would be my ultimate EDF over the A-10.
    Here's what the real Black Panther looked like and my present keepsake.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A6 VA-35 500 USS Nimitz.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	127886Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150609_016.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	127887
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

thanks for posting, but maybe I was not clear enough that this thread is for V2s or current Freewing jets. I think your post is more in the "what new jet do you want next from Freewing" thread. The intention of this thread is to start a discussion of taking good planes already made, and bringing them up to date with current servos, fans, electronics...etc.

I think the original FW 80mm intruder would benefit greatly from the 80mm fan out of the A-4 or A-10. much lighter and more efficient.

Due to the smaller intakes of the A-6 Vs. the A-10...I'm sorry yo are not going to get twin 80s in a 1.7m A-6 without choking them off. Aces 2M composite A-6 kit is only running twin 80s Twin 70s for a 1.7...or have oversize intakes like the hobbyking intruder LOL.. FMS 70mm fans are making 4.5lbs thrust each on 65A....so 2 of those would get a 1.7M intruder moving along nicely!

Comment

I would really love to see a much over due re hash of the 90mm F18. Made from EPO, with beefier landing gear and mounts for grass ops. Slightly larger nose wheels would also help.

Comment

I just thought that there could also be an ARF(-) which deletes the servos, but retains the gear/lights/etc... and control linkages in a bag. Then a discounted MD series servo package part number could be generated to get all the servos you need with the correct lead lengths...etc..

Comment

disregard...

Comment

OV10, A larger A-6 would be considered to be in the Super Scale size class like the 80mm A-10 and 90mm F-4. And like air-jon said it might be difficult to fit twin 80mm's but it would interesting to see what fan size setup would be ideal for a Super Scale A-6.

Back to the featured topic, I also agree that Freewing should upgrade their older jets to not only improve them but to improve sales. A new paint livery would definitely spark new interest in the old Tomcat again.
              Just like in real life a jet gets upgraded over its production life. Like there was the F-14A, B and D.

Here are some other jets that really need an improved upgrade.

F/A-18 - Eliminate the thrust vectoring and add rudder control.

Here are some new F-14 liveries that would be popular on a V2 F-14 refresh.

VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Name:	F-14 Jolly rogers.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	127911
              VF-31 Tomcatters

Name:	F-14 VF-31 Tomcatters.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	127912

Comment

Those are both great schemes! I agree that new livery can certainly help breathe new life into a model. those are both great schemes. i'm a VF-142 guy myself.

The other option would be to supply a Flat 36440 Gull Grey Tomcat similar to what FW did for the BAE Hawk. Then you just have to add light/dark and accent colors, or ad gloss for the old birds, and make a call to Callie of course! :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-14_VF-142-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.5 KB ID:	127928
                Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	freewing-de-havilland-dh-112-venom-v2-swiss-red-90mm-edf-jet-arf-plus-airplane-motion-rc-17004935174_1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	127933

Oh yeah, the other nice Freewing V2 reboot was the De Havilland DH-112 Venom! That one made me look twice!

Comment

I am all in on a new paint scheme for the 80. mm F-5 and or a nose conversion to an F'5B or T-38. Like to see a SE Asia or a three tone grey or blue. Navy aggressor scheme.
                    My Hangar inventory FW 90 mm hp F-15, FW 90 mm F-104, FW 90 mm T-45, FW 80 70mm F-5, FW 80 mm Scorpion, 70 mm V2 Z Rebel, F-8 Bearcat and a stable of T-28, white and Orange and yellow

Comment

SU35 V2 is long overdue! Please! Love the SU35! Perhaps upgraded with stronger main retracts, navigation and landing lights and twin 12blade inrunner EDF units! And sturdy up the front area and the connection to the main body - I had to reinforce mine to keep it from breaking on some harder than desired landings. Freewing has improved so much in tehir manufacturing techniques that a new SU35 will be incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post
                        SU35 V2 is long overdue! Please! Love the SU35! Perhaps upgraded with stronger main retracts, navigation and landing lights and twin 12blade inrunner EDF units! And sturdy up the front area and the connection to the main body - I had to reinforce mine to keep it from breaking on some harder than desired landings. Freewing has improved so much in tehir manufacturing techniques that a new SU35 will be incredible.
                        According to the new features of the SU35 it already comes with 12 blade fans.
                        https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-pnp
                        • NEW! Dual Hobbywing 60A ESC
                        • NEW! EC5 ESC Connector
                        • NEW! 12 Blade EDF Fans

Comment

As I mentioned on RC Groups, I would most definitely like to see a V2 of the F-14. The V2 should have a more robust landing gear setup for grass field operations. A sturdier main attachment point (rather than a glue butt joint), trailing link mains, larger wheels up front, a stiffer spring up front so the nose gear doesn't dig in which causes drag and a negative AoA, and either ditch the scale plastic nose gear reinforcement bar altogether, or make it (and the channel it slides in) out of sturdier material. Yes, I understand there would be a cost differential - or perhaps feature delete to keep the same price point - and thats 100% okay with me.

Comment

F-86 V2! Get rid of the non-scale clipped tips on the elevators; move the main gear forward to a proper position so takeoff rotations are easier; re-size the battery area for 6S 5000 mah packs and a correct CG; stronger LG and mounts; a bit more power for grass ops; digital metal geared servos.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post
                              If you had a choice would you like to see a SU-35 V2 or some other modern-era Russian jet?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post

If you had a choice would you like to see a SU-35 V2 or some other modern-era Russian jet?
                                I would like to see a Freewing quality SU-47.
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post

SU35 V2 :-)

Comment

F35 70mm V2

Comment

Having only flown my F14 once..I could certainly agree with the servos. Think a better control system would eb great too instead having to use a dozen mixes on the Tx ..I hate mixes and this one really gets me confused. I would love to see FW V2 of the F-18,long over due, and possibly v2 of the F-15 ..maybe an E version with better edf performance.
                                      www.TSHobbies.com
                                      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

I would love to see a V2 of the F-14 with updated servos and fans. I would also like to see it without the markings applied. The grey and white scheme is fine, I just don't want to go through the headaches and surface damage from pulling all the stickers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X