P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/30 Scale Airbus A330-300 Build Log (3D Printed)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/30 Scale Airbus A330-300 Build Log (3D Printed)

Now that the majority of the model is completed, I figure I have enough to show for a build thread.

Construction Method:
    I plan to 3D print the whole airframe in ABS, and implement a hybrid construction for the internal structure. Most 3D printed airplanes currently available (Lynxman, 3DLabPrint, Eclipson, etc.) use a single wall thickness approach with printing the parts. I will be testing an idea using 2 perimeter wall thicknesses, and ABS rather than PLA.

ABS is roughly 80% the weight of PLA, has a higher glass transition temperature (105° C vs PLA with 65 ° C), easily sanded, and can be welded together with acetone. A downside is that is is much more flexible.

Specifications:
    Scale: 1/30
    Wingspan: 2006mm
    Length: 2122mm

Planned Features:
    Scale Fowler Flaps
    Spoilers
    3D printed Scale Landing Gear
    Dual 70mm EDF powerplant
    Possibly LE Slats

The goal is to have it ready for Jet Jam next year in June, so I have about 10 months to knock this out. Afterwards, I'll most likely host the files on Cults3D, or 3DLabGang so others can print the plane for themselves.

Sometimes its hard to fully grasp the size of a 3D model until you hold it in your hand. I did some test prints and got the nose section materialized just for that :).

This part wouldn't be used for the final model, but it was used to confirm some ideas and printability of the 3D model.

Comment

That is FANTASTIC I want 1 too!!!
      could these files be sized up to an 80 size or 90(bigger wheels for grass operation)

Please realize I know nothing of how to 3d print.

Comment

The Rolls-Royce Trent700 nacelles can definitely fit larger EDFs. I'm aiming for 70s but if the weight of the airframe begins to creep up I can easily modify for 80s. For 90s, best way might be for me to model the PW4000 or the GE CF6.

This is actually something I am considering offering when I release the files and for anyone wanting me to print them one.

Comment

The reason I was asking is takeoff power and scale wheel size as I fly from grass well cut but grass none the less.

What size nose wheels had you figured on?

Comment

Yup, I caught that in your question for grass ops. I was just expanding on it so you could see my ideas on variety for different powerplants. Should haul ass with twin 90s

Not sure yet on the wheel sizes. I should have an idea on those soon since I am moving on to modeling the landing gear, and gear bays. Whatever size they end up, it shouldn't be too hard to upsize the tires a bit and still fit in the wheel bays.

Comment

Sounds great looking forward to your updates

Comment

I made great progress on the nose gear. Here are the current specs for the wheel diameters Jhnybgd. I may try to work things to get the nose to be an even 1.5".
                Nose: 35mm (1.38in)
                Mains: 47mm (1.86in)

Since the nose requires a 110 degree retract, and I wasn't too sure about dropping big bills for a robart unit, I will be attempting to 3D print one and operate it with air actuators or servos.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this project come to life

Comment

1.5 should work well as long as the all up weight is kept in check.
                    Have you worked up a projected weight?

I have 2 80mm on the shelf waiting for her

Comment

Made great progress this week and have the whole fuselage and tail prepared with a 0.8mm shell so I can begin designing in the structural components. So far the fuselage and tail are estimated at 1260g, not too shabby for a 2meter fuselage. I'm guessing worst-case it will grow another 600g for all structural supports and gear bays.

To help keep the weight down, I am planning on centralizing all batteries and a majority of the electronics over the wingbox. This way I can reduce the amount of structural supports needed throughout the length of the fuse.

Transportability
                      Learning from my ERJ build, I am avoiding a 1-piece wing and 1-piece fuselage as this makes it a bit tricky for transporting in a smaller car, especially when I want to bring multiple planes to the field.

My planned breakdown:
                      Nose (~400mm section)
                      Fuselage (~1000mm section)
                      Tail with Vertical Stabilizer (~700mm section)
                      Horizontal Stabilizers (makes the tail a much easier shape to work with)
                      Wings (~900mm)

Comment

So what material will the wings be?

Comment

Wings will also be 3D printed in ABS with a hybrid internal construction. The 3D model is still getting some refinements for the engine pylons and flap track fairings so I have been focusing on the fuselage lately.

Comment

What a project,I am envious of your abilities.

nice work

Comment

Thanks!

I printed a test for the horizontal stabilizer. I used acetone to weld/glue the parts together and gave the joint some surface prep with 80 grit, and 240 grit all over to finish. The part feels very strong and doesnt need a complicated internal support design.

I also did a static load test, and managed to comfortably hold 28.3lbs before it broke when I added another weight to the stack. I'm feeling pretty confident with getting the rest of the airframe finished and structurally sound now that this test was done :Cool:

Comment

I am about finished with the tail section design and now I am ready to do some more test prints. I'm doing a similar interlocking idea for the fuselage sections like the stabilizers. The tabs slip between the stiffener rings and the skin, while being aligned by the stringers. Estimate for this 700mm long tail section is 583g.

Comment

If you ever scratchbuilt a plane, you know that servo hatches can sometimes be an annoyance. I decided to engineer out that annoyance, and to take it even further, I kept everything on a single print.

The piece printed has a very visible boundary for the servo hatch. A few light scoring passes with a knife and it releases the part. The stabilizer even has attachment points, so the only modification needed is to drill/melt 4 pilot holes and screw the hatch in place.

Comment

Subscribed! I am thinking of doing something similar next year. I need to get a printer and get up to speed on printing first I suppose. What is your estimated weight? And What power are you going to use?

How do you like the Prusa? Did you have to mod it?
                                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Very cool! What plane do you have in mind, I'd be interested in following your thread if you start one up.

Estimated weight is unknown, but I am hoping to not exceed 12lb. After I get the remainder of the fuselage and wings ~90% modeled I will have a much better idea of AUW. A big factor that I will be considering is using 70mm fans on 4S vs 6S, as I can expect ~0.7lbs weight savings with 4S. Though the power system will be dependent on the estimated airframe weight with all other electronics. If the AUW will be under 10lbs than most likely the 4S configuration will be used.

I'm a fan of the Prusa. Only mod (though I consider it preventative maintenance) is I replaced the Y carriage rods and bearings, as they were over a year old and I started to get scoring on the rods. I have a new Y carriage that uses 2 bearings per shaft vs a 1/2 prusa setup, but haven't installed it yet.

Here is a progress shot. I need a spar in the rudder as its a bit squishy only being printed as the perimeters, so I will re-design/re-print. H-stabs finished this morning and I'm printing the next fuselage section this evening.

Comment

Man im so looking forward to seeing this in action!

Comment

Working...
                                        X