Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fms 70mm f18

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fms 70mm f18

At the end of July 2018 I purchased the fms 70mm f18. This plane appealed to me because it is more scale like than the 64mm planes and seemed to have a lot of power in the YouTube videos I watched. Choosing a battery was not easy, I wanted as much flight time as possible but was concerned about battery compartment size. Fortunately the motion rc website provides battery dimensions. Manual recommends a 3200 mah battery, I went with an admiral 4500 mah 40c battery. This battery fits just fine and after a 5 min flight that is mostly aggressive I am finishing with 3.8 volts per cell. CG is set at 60mm. Runway at my club is small, too small in fact, since second half of takeoff is on grass it is essential to keep plane straight to achieve take off speed.( 1/2 runway 1/2 grass needs about 150ft in total) Hopefully in the fall when grass is thinner this will be easier. This plane has plenty of power and lands just fine in the grass with no bad characteristics. Wind does not seem to bother it either. For the price I am very happy with this plane. If your a blue collar guy like me and want a jet that is not equivalent to an rrsp investment, I say buy it :)

Originally posted by Truckers who fly View Post
    At the end of July 2018 I purchased the fms 70mm f18. This plane appealed to me because it is more scale like than the 64mm planes and seemed to have a lot of power in the YouTube videos I watched. Choosing a battery was not easy, I wanted as much flight time as possible but was concerned about battery compartment size. Fortunately the motion rc website provides battery dimensions. Manual recommends a 3200 mah battery, I went with an admiral 4500 mah 40c battery. This battery fits just fine and after a 5 min flight that is mostly aggressive I am finishing with 3.8 volts per cell. CG is set at 60mm. Runway at my club is small, too small in fact, since second half of takeoff is on grass it is essential to keep plane straight to achieve take off speed.( 1/2 runway 1/2 grass needs about 150ft in total) Hopefully in the fall when grass is thinner this will be easier. This plane has plenty of power and lands just fine in the grass with no bad characteristics. Wind does not seem to bother it either. For the price I am very happy with this plane. If your a blue collar guy like me and want a jet that is not equivalent to an rrsp investment, I say buy it :)
    Welcome to Hobby Squawk, good info on the F-18... 10-10 :Cool:
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Much agreed! and welcome to the squawk!:Cool:

Comment

I have to ask is the CG of 60 a misprint or is that what You actually are flying it at?

Comment

That is what I am flying it at with a 4500 mah battery, no ordinance. I have a foam spacer at front of battery compartment which is 1 1/4 inches long and a 3/4 foam spacer at back of battery to keep it from sloshing around in case velcro does not hold. For me, once it's off the grass it flies great I love it.

Comment

I like how my plane flys on 4500 as well. I love the way it flys and the longevity of the flights on the 4500 as well. I'm looking forward to the F16 next

Comment

An interesting week. Heart attack on Tuesday. Stent put in. I was lucky. 2mm away from bypass surgery. Out of hospital on Weds. New job offer on Thursday. Maidened F/A-18 on Saturday. Geez

Buddy took iphone vid. Kind of crappy but at least shows grass op take off and landing. 12mph crosswind. No trim needed. Ran with rcjetwerx 6S 4000mah 80C . Fits like a glove. I can tell already I love this plane. Less than 1 hour to build. The servos were even centered. 2 hours for decals. Flys on rails. Nice job FMS !

-Hawk
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

As our flying season is coming to a close, you guys are making me want to finish mine and fly it. Just have to glue it together, install the power system and new hobbywing esc, and do the setup. Sadly it may not happen as getting out to fly takes priority at this time of year. The Flexjet and Avanti-S are both such great jets. My FW Yak 130 just had an altercation with the ground due to a signal issue...... so the F18 would fill its spot nicely!Fingers crossed!

Comment

Yes indeed, it's one of my favorites for sure, I fly 6 minutes and it's always a satisfying flight. :)

Comment

Originally posted by fairplane View Post
                    As our flying season is coming to a close, you guys are making me want to finish mine and fly it. Just have to glue it together, install the power system and new hobbywing esc, and do the setup. Sadly it may not happen as getting out to fly takes priority at this time of year. The Flexjet and Avanti-S are both such great jets. My FW Yak 130 just had an altercation with the ground due to a signal issue...... so the F18 would fill its spot nicely!Fingers crossed!
                    Hey Fairplane Your Diamond Back looks outstanding nice job!

Comment

So check this out!! New afterburner set up installed in mine... and I think it came out pretty good! Take a look at the videos and lemme know what you think!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Can't wait to get mine for the F/A-18 ! Looks great in my F4.
                        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                          An interesting week. Heart attack on Tuesday. Stent put in. I was lucky. 2mm away from bypass surgery. Out of hospital on Weds. New job offer on Thursday. Maidened F/A-18 on Saturday. Geez

Buddy took iphone vid. Kind of crappy but at least shows grass op take off and landing. 12mph crosswind. No trim needed. Ran with rcjetwerx 6S 4000mah 80C . Fits like a glove. I can tell already I love this plane. Less than 1 hour to build. The servos were even centered. 2 hours for decals. Flys on rails. Nice job FMS !

-Hawk
                          Glad yur OK mate.

Woody

Comment

Ya know, I've watched, "dahawk's" vid a couple of times now. That's a pretty nice plane, look like it fly's well, it sounds great, and looked easy to land. I'm impressed. I love that red paint job, LOL. MRC really, really needs a, "Freewing" offering of this model for sure. Or at least carry this model. Very, Very important! No vectored Thrust! Just a plane ole, basic Super FA-18. Simple ya know.

Woody
                            Last edited by Woodcock; Sep 28, 2018, 03:43 PM. Reason: My own reasons

Comment

YES^^^^^^^!!!

Comment

We could use a good Freewing version. A clubmate bought the FMS. Although it's a nice looking jet, it's heavier than the Freewing 6S 70mm F-16 and just won't get off the ground from our grass runway.

Comment

I had a much bigger problem with F-16 on grass than with the FMS F/A- 18. Switching to the 2210 inrunner helped. Depends on length of grass and moisture, There are times when the FMS F/A-18 consumes 80% of a 450ft grass runway. Unlike the F-16, I've never had to abort..

An affordable 80mm F/A-18 w/out the goofy TV feature would be nice.

Comment

Exactly, that would be perfect in my opinion

Comment

I bought a good friend of mine a Freewing 6S 70mm F-16 for his 70's birth day present. I though I was pretty safe getting him this, as I remember the old, "Byron's Originals" F-16 which flew great. How could I go wrong it's a FreeWing. We couldn't get it off of a 200' paved strip most of the time. It's important to take note, when we did get it up, it flew well. I think it had some sort of issue with the ESC. Once he hit it and it cleared in about have the runway. But he did run it into the weeds several times trying to get it up. This FMS F-18 cleared the ground in some pretty tall grass, LOL.

Woody

PS, If your flying jets, ya really need to join a flying club that has a nice paved runway. Or just get into and perfect hand launches. I can see why some people like the Russian Jets, as the Russians obviously can't maintain a quality runway in Siberia. This is obviously reflected in the size of the wheels on their Jets. I'm not implying the Russians can't maintain a nice runway, as much as how difficult it must be to do it there.

Comment

Just maddened the FMS/rochobby F18 . It wasn’t a pretty flight , but the lading was a perfect 10( go figure ) I have never flown a plane that was so out of trim out of the box. My CG was at 75 mm so it was right where it was supposed to be. Problem was right trim was so far out of wack I ran out of trim, as well as needing tons of up elevator. Even after trimming it out, it still didn’t feel like it was flying right to me. Anyone work through any problems with this plane? I can’t be the only one.

I can pretty much fly anything you put in my hands. I’m flying tons of EDS and I’ve never had a problem with a plane like this before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                        X