X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-18 vs F-16

So I am thinking about getting another EDF jet, I have my mind set on 2 aircraft, F-18 or the F-16. Looking for performance and style of either one but not sure which would be better or more fun to fly. Glad to see some opinions!

RE: F-18 vs F-16

Originally posted by Base3012
    So I am thinking about getting another EDF jet, I have my mind set on 2 aircraft, F-18 or the F-16. Looking for performance and style of either one but not sure which would be better or more fun to fly. Glad to see some opinions!
    I'd suggest the Freewing 64mm F-18 4S version.  I have it and it's great.  High performance, but also flys quite well slowly.  Landings are pretty easy as it floats down nicely.  I hand launch mine no problem also.  I don't have an F-16, but the Roc Hobby 64mm gets great reviews.  Probably can't go wrong with either one, but my opinion, get the F-18.  It looks amazing in the air, and mine always gets a lot of compliments at the field.  Best wishes!

Comment

What size are you most interested in? We have both of those jets in 64mm and 90mm size, and a 70mm F-16. In the 64mm size, the RocHobby F-16 is a blast on 3s 2200, without any of the ordinance installed. The 64mm 4s F/A-18 Super Hornet is my favorite for 4s 2200 batteries. Between the 90mm F/A-18 and F-16, there are too many differences to make a qualified recommendation without more information on your budget, flying field condition, flying style, scale fidelity preferences, etc.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have both and in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either. Am talking 64 mm though. The Roc Hobby F16 was good with the 3s system, but I dropped in a FW hi performance power system in, and WOW. But had to make modifications. The FW F18 hi performance is great also. And there is no modification with the F18. They are both great airframes. Hope this helps

Comment

F-16 is better choice.

Comment

Im considering looking into getting either the Freewing 64mm 4s F-18 or the F-22. Are there any flight characteristics that make one better than the other?

Coot

Comment

I really, really, really love the 4s Freewing 64mm F-18. With the wheels on, it's very fun to practice slow high alpha landings. I mean, so slow that the aircraft is at a full stop after only rolling 8 feet on smooth pavement. With the wheels removed, the F-18 is transformed into a quick and agile jet. It's easier to grip and hand toss than the F-22, in my experience. The F-22 can execute similar maneuvers, but is overall a more floaty plane. I think the F-18 could be flown to a wider flight envelope. I also prefer the F-18's livery options, both of which are easier to orient than the gray top/bottom of the F-22.

Comment

Thanks Alpha for the info as always! I was looking into the tophatters scheme as it looks nice and unique. I would rather get a snappy one instead of a floater. Good to know! Looks like I will be getting the F-18.

Chris

Comment

I filmed a friend of mine flying his stock Freewing 64mm 4s F-18 this morning. The sun was low and in our faces but this video will give you an idea of what you can expect from this aircraft, simply by removing the landing gear. Everything else in this aircraft is STOCK. Harry does use the larger Admiral 4s 4000mAh 40c battery, but I prefer the lighter Admiral 4s 2500mAh for mine. I don't leave the throttle at full for as long as he does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeUzOINuGg&feature=youtu.be

Fun jets for $150!

Comment

Flying like that I'd be brain dead long before the 4 minute mark! That F-18 looks to be flying better than my Stinger 64s on 4 cells! Definitely easier to launch.

Comment

I just bought the F-18!

Coot

Comment

As a member correctly pointed out to me, I'd like to remind those to whom it isn't already obvious that flying like Harry isn't recommended. Don't push your planes' controls and speeds to their limit towards the barrier of what is potentially unsafe. The video was posted to show the potential of the aircraft and its ability to perform certain maneuvers and certain speeds, which clearly contrast it with the flight envelope of other aircraft being discussed here. It was flown on a closed field.
                        [hr]
                        You'll enjoy it, Coot! Thanks for your order!

Comment

Disclaimers!!!
                          All parts of life have risks and is potentially dangerous. The aircraft looked to be in full control the whole flight. The only thing that looked "dangerous" were some of the close flybys.

For all I know these were done with a telephoto lens. That aside the only folks I saw at risk were the pilot and camera man. I assume these were all adults and aware of the risks, so no foul. Now if the flier had exposed others to the risk without their consent now that's a different subject all together different. But the way it was shown, was acceptable.

All the best,
                          Konrad

Comment

https://youtu.be/nmah25CdB9s

Here's a 32 second vid of me handlaunching my F-18, with a full throttle flyby.  I do think no landing gear is the way to go with this plane.  Very easy to launch with the 4S version.  I use a 2800 Zippy 30C in mine.

The guy in the other vid is a really good pilot; I am nowhere close to that skill level.  But here's another example of a handlaunch of this plane, and the speed it can fly at...

Comment

I've been flying the 64mm F/A-18 as a hand launch for 7 months or so. It's really a great plane. I've modified it slightly with wingtip skids behind the mains and nose gear. It's easy to hand launch and easy to land. The improvement in speed and roll rate were noticeable without the gear. Taking the gear off made it a different plane. I used the cover for the nose gear to hold a bit of lead for balance.
                              I've had many complements about how well the plane flies. Enjoy.

Comment

What do you have to change to get it to 4s, what size 4s are you using

Comment

Eli, I didn't have to change anything to run it as a 4s. The Royal Maces 64mm F/A-18 is set up for it already. It balances perfectly with the Admiral 4s 2500 50c pushed all the way to the front. It's got good speed, adequate climb, and nice roll rate.

Comment

In the 90mm I think the fa18 is easier to fly and performs a bit better, but I do love my 16 as well.

Comment

Agreed on the F-18 90mm...I painted mine Blue Angels and the flight performance, wow factor and being a gentle jet to handle gives the nod over the 90mm F-16 which I have as well, and is also very, very cool with plenty of wow factor but not quite as easy to fly and land.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Looks awesome. Nice one mate. I really loved the RAAF scheme one we could get in oz.

Comment

Working...
                                        X