X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehavaland Venom

Can someone that’s flying the Venom give the highs and lows of each surface. Dual rates. My booklet does not tell me. Thank you in advance.

De Havilland

I would use about 100% travel and 50% expo. But that is just me. Have you flown any jets before?

Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Yes I have the T1 hawk. Can you give me the amount of throw in decimals such as high rate is about .600 and low about .400 on the scale. These numbers are where I have them set at this time. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcrmel View Post
        Yes I have the T1 hawk. Can you give me the amount of throw in decimals such as high rate is about .600 and low about .400 on the scale. These numbers are where I have them set at this time. Thank you.
        . That is a little less than 5/8 and a little more than 3/8
        This is the info I need for the venom. My booklet does not show anything.
        Last edited by Rcrmel; Sep 14, 2018, 01:07 PM. Reason: More explanation

Comment

Originally posted by Rcrmel View Post
          I don't know about anybody else, but I have no idea what those numbers even mean. When I set my rates on any plane, it's always in terms of % on the TX and mm movement at the trailing edge of the control surface.
          When you have a plane like the Venom, where the manual doesn't give any indication of throws, I generally go with 100% on high rates, 80% on mid rates and 60% on low rates. That's way I have my Venom set up and I fly it on middle rates for ELE and high rates for AIL. It's a plane with fairly large wingspan for its length, so high rates on AIL is useful to make for a reasonable roll rate. Expo is individual preference. I like anything from 25% to 40%. Some like more while others don't like any at all.
          Remember that this Venom should have had the tail booms glued and set while upside down to ensure that the elevator incident is not too droopy. Even with it glued in the inverted position, it requires approx. 2 to 3 degrees of UP elevator for it to fly level. If you don't have this amount of UP, flying it with even 100% rate on the ELE will not seem enough.
          Here's mine from over a year ago. I still fly it today. It's one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I don't know about anybody else, but I have no idea what those numbers even mean. When I set my rates on any plane, it's always in terms of % on the TX and mm movement at the trailing edge of the control surface.
            When you have a plane like the Venom, where the manual doesn't give any indication of throws, I generally go with 100% on high rates, 80% on mid rates and 60% on low rates. That's way I have my Venom set up and I fly it on middle rates for ELE and high rates for AIL. It's a plane with fairly large wingspan for its length, so high rates on AIL is useful to make for a reasonable roll rate. Expo is individual preference. I like anything from 25% to 40%. Some like more while others don't like any at all.
            Remember that this Venom should have had the tail booms glued and set while upside down to ensure that the elevator incident is not too droopy. Even with it glued in the inverted position, it requires approx. 2 to 3 degrees of UP elevator for it to fly level. If you don't have this amount of UP, flying it with even 100% rate on the ELE will not seem enough.
            Here's mine from over a year ago. I still fly it today. It's one of my favorites.

With well over 200 flights in the Venom because it's one of my all-time favorite EDFs, I can say I agree with all of xviper's suggestions above. Follow them and you'll have a good foundation from which to start, and then you can adjust your throws, rates, and Expo according to your preference.

The only difference between me and Xviper is my Expo is lower at 15%, which is purely a personal preference.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Great flight Alpha, I see you get that darn bounce landing too. Anybody have the secret to eliminating this? Landing to slow? Landing with less flaps?

Comment

Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                Great flight Alpha, I see you get that darn bounce landing too. Anybody have the secret to eliminating this? Landing to slow? Landing with less flaps?
                I cut about 5mm off the nose strut spring and it helped tremendously.
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                  The only difference between me and Xviper is my Expo is lower at 15%, which is purely a personal preference.
                  Once I get more used to the way a plane flies, I begin to lower the expo although I must admit, I don't go quite that low. As a side note, the higher my rates, the more expo I put in. I suffer from "dumb thumbs" still from time to time and I find higher expo is a bit more forgiving. :Don't-tell-Anyone:

Comment

Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                    That was me. That was in the early days of a new field and many of the gopher holes weren't filled in yet. In that landing, I hit several holes and divots, which threw the plane all over the place. Now, many (but not all) of the divots have been filled and flattened out and I no longer bounce anymore. Of course, if I don't land in the upper part of the field, I encounter more holes and it bounces again. I land with full flaps and some power. I've learned to flare under power and the plane settles gently onto the ground and slows down to the point it no longer flies and just rolls to a stop. I also installed trailing links on the mains.

Comment

I think all Venom pilots have dealt with the "hop" before. After a few tries, I found that coming in flat and with minimal throttle was best. The less flare, the better, and once the mains were down, I cut power and pushed the elevator forward to pin the nose.
                      It's not that difficult to master, and once you have, you'll be all set. Swapping in trailing link struts aren't necessary, but I can see how they could help. Try the stock setup first.
                      ​​​​​​
                      The Venom needs air moving over the elevator to have authority, so don't let the aircraft get too slow during landing. Remind yourself that the Venom wants to land faster than it can fly. In the air it can be flown to almost a standstill with a moderate headwind, it's basically a kite. But down low right before touchdown, ensure you have throttle on. As Xviper said, use flaps to scrub airspeed while keeping throttle/thrust moving over the elevator to maintain control authority.

Have fun!

Comment

Thanks for all the input and great information. Looks like I can try tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                          De Havilland

I would use about 100% travel and 50% expo. But that is just me. Have you flown any jets before?
                          . For Sea viper. Thank you. after your comment I checked my percentages and found them to be very close to the percentages you use. In the mean time I checked the decalage
                          Using the gage I found that my stab is + 2 degrees as well. Thank you. I hope you get this. My split screen does not show me everything.

Comment

50% expo is a lot... your stick will have a dead zone around the center for 50% of its travel distance, whereafter the control surface will finally and suddenly respond. I'd recommend using the same expo as you've used on other EDFs, or even a typical warbird. The Venom's straight wing lends to a similar expo range.

Comment

I don't think so. On my radio, 30-50% expo is a gentle curve around center out to about 75% stick throw. I routinely run 40% on jets. Your radio may consider the % part differently than mine does.
                              It all depends on how they calculate max expo.

For the Taranis X9D+

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2018-09-17 05-26-04.png Views:	1 Size:	2.7 KB ID:	151993

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2018-09-17 05-26-30.png Views:	1 Size:	2.2 KB ID:	151994
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2018-09-17 05-26-49.png Views:	1 Size:	2.1 KB ID:	151995
                              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Depends a bit n how the computer processes expo. And its not the same from brand to brand. But I've never seen 0 control surface movement with stick movement near center. even at 80% expo (which I have used for one model)
                                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X