You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMS T-45 GOSHAWK 70mm: Did I buy the wrong battery? Or just need an adapter?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS T-45 GOSHAWK 70mm: Did I buy the wrong battery? Or just need an adapter?

I just purchased the FMS T-45 GOSHAWK 70mm and a Admiral 4000mAh 6S 22.2V 40C LiPo Battery with EC5 Connector.
    However, the ESC in this jet has a XT60 connector (Female?) and the battery has a female EC5 connector.
    Did I buy the wrong battery? Or just need an adapter?
    If I just need an adapter, which one?
    Seems there is confusion on the web as to which XT60 connectors are male and female and thus I have no clue at this point as a result.
    Would a EC5 Male To XT60 Female Battery adapter cable work?

Id chop that XT60 off and throw a ec5 on it. I assume you ordered it through tower? As my F18 came the same way and i had to swap the connector. I wouldn't put that kind of current through the xt60 at all. Just asking for issues you dont want in my opinion.

Comment

Well... XT60 de-solders and is reusable for other stuff like making a disconnect jumper on models with poor access to the 3S or 4S LiPo. (or for a battery supplying a Spektrum Power Bus RX)

But, yes, I'd change to EC5 or XT90 on 6S to 12S.
      Actually I am changing everything to EC5. if it uses more than 2S, just to make things simpler.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Yep, bought thru Tower.
        WOW! Glad I let you all know!
        I am gonna cancel my order for the adapter and make them as you said.
        Next question...I assume I am going to have to get a better battery charger, I am using this charger:
        Hitec X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger
        Tower Hobbies carries an expansive collection of RC cars, RC airplanes, RC boats, model trains, sot cars, and supplies for all hobbyists.

Comment

Yeah that will be the best thing to do with this plane, especially edfs. They chew electrons like a rabbit in a lettuce patch!

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
            Yeah that will be the best thing to do with this plane, especially edfs. They chew electrons like a rabbit in a lettuce patch!
            Where did you get your EC5 connectors from?
            I am looking at Tower, Horizon, MotionRC, AMAIN and they dont even state if they are male or female.
            Motion RC has these and I think they are male and female:
            Male / Female Pair of Genuine EC5 Connectors - Blue from BenchCraft - BCT5062-016 Genuine gold-plated EC5 connectors are loved around the world for their reliable performance and secure fit. EC5 connectors are used on many RC products from popular brands such as Admiral, Freewing, Skynetic, FlightLine, RotorScale, Banc

Comment

Yeah that has one of each, thats a good thing, so if you need to change a battery to ec5 you have that.

Comment

You can't always depend on the ESC plug being a match for the battery plug. That's just the way it is, so no, you didn't buy the wrong battery and the plane didn't come with the wrong ESC plug. I used to do a lot of soldering either on the ESC end or the battery end but when my hanger started to expand, it got to be too much. I have a battery box full of all kinds of adapters now. The same battery can be used with multiple planes if you have the right kind of adapter.
                As for what adapter to get, just use some common sense. (I know you've said you're going to cut off the ESC plug and solder on the mate for the EC5, which is the best solution UNLESS you aren't good at soldering at which point, that's THE worst option.) Take a close look at the plugs. On the ESC, you say it's got an XT60. Well, it's going to be MALE. The one the battery, you say it's EC5. Well, it's going to be FEMALE. The adapter ........................ It's going to be FEMALE XT60 on one end and MALE EC5 on the other. It goes between your ESC and the battery. Quite simple, really.
                Male pins always fit inside the female cylinders (like in nature), however, with battery connectors that encase the pins and cylinders, the female casing goes inside the male casing BUT the pins still goes inside the cylinders. Therefore, the male casing is always larger than the female casing. Plugs like "Deans" don't have a casing surrounding the pins, so one casing doesn't go into the other casing.
                You need one of these: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...3-male-adapter

Comment

Note: When soldering new plugs on the battery... Desolderclip the + (slide plastic housing on the wire if applicable) Then solder the new connector to the + Insert in the plastic housing, THEN desolder the - and solder to the new connector

Don't have any chance of the + and - shorting to each other. Tape off the one yo are not working on if you can't figure out any other way to do it.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Yes, thats what i do as well. Makes things much easier to remember

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      You can't always depend on the ESC plug being a match for the battery plug. That's just the way it is, so no, you didn't buy the wrong battery and the plane didn't come with the wrong ESC plug. I used to do a lot of soldering either on the ESC end or the battery end but when my hanger started to expand, it got to be too much. I have a battery box full of all kinds of adapters now. The same battery can be used with multiple planes if you have the right kind of adapter.
                      As for what adapter to get, just use some common sense. (I know you've said you're going to cut off the ESC plug and solder on the mate for the EC5, which is the best solution UNLESS you aren't good at soldering at which point, that's THE worst option.) Take a close look at the plugs. On the ESC, you say it's got an XT60. Well, it's going to be MALE. The one the battery, you say it's EC5. Well, it's going to be FEMALE. The adapter ........................ It's going to be FEMALE XT60 on one end and MALE EC5 on the other. It goes between your ESC and the battery. Quite simple, really.
                      Male pins always fit inside the female cylinders (like in nature), however, with battery connectors that encase the pins and cylinders, the female casing goes inside the male casing BUT the pins still goes inside the cylinders. Therefore, the male casing is always larger than the female casing. Plugs like "Deans" don't have a casing surrounding the pins, so one casing doesn't go into the other casing.
                      You need one of these: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...3-male-adapter
                      That is EC3 though, my admiral battery is EC5 and my FMS GOSHAWK 70mm is XT60.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                        Note: When soldering new plugs on the battery... Desolderclip the + (slide plastic housing on the wire if applicable) Then solder the new connector to the + Insert in the plastic housing, THEN desolder the - and solder to the new connector

Don't have any chance of the + and - shorting to each other. Tape off the one yo are not working on if you can't figure out any other way to do it.
                        oh? I thought I had to cut them because they are different?

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post

That is EC3 though, my admiral battery is EC5 and my FMS GOSHAWK 70mm is XT60.
                          Sorry. Wrong link. I get mine from HobbyKing. XT60 to EC5.

Comment

ok, so I guess the EC5 connectors I purchased are crimped and then soldered to the cut and stripped wires that were attached to the old XT60 connector from the ESC correct?
                            No de-soldering?

Comment

ok, so I guess the EC5 connectors I purchased are crimped and then soldered to the cut and stripped wires that were attached to the old XT60 connector from the ESC correct?
                              No de-soldering?

Soldered only, crimping will ruin them.
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

No de-soldering?
                                Proceed with caution! There are a couple of connectors that use crimping but I know of no EC5 connectors that are crimped. Also, before you try to solder, you do know about "tinning" the bare wire at the ends first, right? Without tinning, that solder joint is likely to be VERY weak and will come apart when it gets a bit hot and a bad solder connection is more likely to get hot.

Comment

Proceed with caution! There are a couple of connectors that use crimping but I know of no EC5 connectors that are crimped. Also, before you try to solder, you do know about "tinning" the bare wire at the ends first, right? Without tinning, that solder joint is likely to be VERY weak and will come apart when it gets a bit hot and a bad solder connection is more likely to get hot.
                                  Tinning is when you coat both wires first and then solder together?

Comment

Tinning is when you coat both wires first and then solder together?
                                    In this case, it's letting the bare wire end get infiltrated with solder before soldering it to the bullet plug.

Comment

In this case, it's letting the bare wire end get infiltrated with solder before soldering it to the bullet plug.
                                      ok, I understand now.
                                      Also, am I going to have to get a new battery charger?
                                      My Hitech chargers connectors are too small as well.
                                      Can I use an adapter for charging or is that a no no?

Comment

ok, I understand now.
                                        Also, am I going to have to get a new battery charger?
                                        My Hitech chargers connectors are too small as well.
                                        Can I use an adapter for charging or is that a no no?
                                        Any battery balance charger will have a balance board and the charge leads. The charge leads need to be matched with whatever's on the batteries. You can get charge leads with different ends or you go the adapter route.

Comment

Working...
                                        X