X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deltas anyone?

I don't understand why Deltas aren't more popular than they are, the Freewing Mirage and the SU-35 are my favorites and the Deltas are easy to fly and can almost harrier in on landing. There's so many Deltas that could be done like the SAAB Gripen and Viggen...I would also love to see the Freewing Eurofighter released in a V2 EPO version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_223717178_iOS.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	155396

Name:	20180729_223729475_iOS.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	155395

Name:	Deltas_10.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	155397

Name:	Deltas_01.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	155404

Name:	Deltas_02.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	155398

Name:	Deltas_03.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	155407

Name:	Deltas_04.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	155400

Name:	Deltas_05.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	155401

Name:	Deltas_06.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	155399

Name:	Deltas_07.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	155406

Name:	Deltas_08.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	155409

Name:	Deltas_09.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	155402

Name:	Deltas_11.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	155403

Name:	Deltas_12.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	155408

Name:	Deltas_13.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	155405

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Ever since I flew the Viggen in DCS I have been a big fan of Deltas because they fly so different and offer a different set of capabilities. Even in this prototype made by Flite test the benefits are apparent.
    An RC 70mm-90mm AJS-37 Viggen would be my first pre order buy if it were made.

Comment

I would love to see a Saab Gripen! I have never flown deltas before, but want to give them a try. They seem to need a longer runway. The Eurofighter Typhoon is one of my all time favourite planes, but a fellow rc pilot has one and it has rotation issues on our field. Short length grass field. suggestions on a good first delta? I fly off of a relatively short grass runway (MAX 180’...150-160’ for takeoff would be best). I do own the FMS Yak, F-18 and BAE Hawk. I have also flown the FMS Viper.

Comment

Deltas set up correctly are easy to fly.
        Set up wrong they are a crash waiting to happen.

Since they require a different CG than a "conventional" aircraft, and people are not familiar with the difference,,, they get set up wrong often.

They require about the same runway for the same weight and wing area aircraft with the same power... if they are set up for the correct incidence to the ground.

In some ways a delta can be easier to fly than most trainers if CG is slightly forward. but acceptable CG range is very small compared to the potentially large acceptable CG range for a "conventional" aircraft.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernFlyer View Post
          I would love to see a Saab Gripen! I have never flown deltas before, but want to give them a try. They seem to need a longer runway. The Eurofighter Typhoon is one of my all time favourite planes, but a fellow rc pilot has one and it has rotation issues on our field. Short length grass field. suggestions on a good first delta? I fly off of a relatively short grass runway (MAX 180’...150-160’ for takeoff would be best). I do own the FMS Yak, F-18 and BAE Hawk. I have also flown the FMS Viper.
          The Gripen and the Viggen are designed to be able to execute short take off's so that they can operate off improvised airstrips/highways. The front canards give them more lift. The viggen can land in even shorter distances with its thrust reverser.
          These two jets are ideal for flying from short fields.

Comment

This is how I want my Viggen but I would be happy with silver too.

Name:	Viggen 02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	155516

Comment

Been clamoring for a certain Delta for a while now.. They have such unique flying characteristics and love to slow down at high AOA. Would definitely be nice to have a few more choices. I’d particularly love to see a few of the American and British Deltas. The F-106, B-58, XB-70, F-102, Sea Dart, and Avro Vulcan to name a few. All beautiful airplanes, and very under modeled compared to the standard Euro canards.

Comment

I love deltas. The Freewing 80mm Mirage was my idea years ago, based on my love of the CARF Eurosport, FlyFly Mirage, and Gaui Tigershark Delta. All of these wonderfully in their own ways. A Vulcan, Gripen, Dart, Skyray, Draken, Horten, or almost any other delta would be welcome in my personal hangar.

From an engineering standpoint, at least with single engine deltas, there are many efficiency advantages to be explored. From a sales standpoint, though, I wonder if visibility is a perceived challenge, or the different power curve or handling. While to some of us that see these as exciting changes of pace to traditional jets, to others these are barriers to entry.

For best way for someone in that boat to see if a delta is something they'd like or not is to buy an existing delta on the market and try it out.
                ​​​​

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

The Gripen and the Viggen are designed to be able to execute short take off's so that they can operate off improvised airstrips/highways. The front canards give them more lift. The viggen can land in even shorter distances with its thrust reverser.
                  These two jets are ideal for flying from short fields.

The canard surfaces become nearly useless for scale models. They still act a bit as leading edge slats, to help delay stall, but that can be a two-edged sword since they are acting at wing root.

Delaying wing root stall means you stall wingtips first and that means snapping over and probably entering a spin.

Failure to recognize this characteristic would lead to unexpected sudden snap straight into the ground on a nose high approach and leaving you wondering what the hell caused your airplane to become confetti.

Yes, you can do a high alpha approach... but 1 degree too high is fatal.

Comment

Part of a flight report by a clubmate about his Gripen (non movable canard) flight on Monday. It was amusing to watch as he flipped the plane in the 12 mph wind and it got stuck at about a 60 degree AoA as it slowly descended vertically, with no apparent forward motion, to the cotton field. Plenty of time to holler advice that didn't work before the slow motion crash. :)

The only issue I had was on the 3rd flight.... decided to flip the Gripen even though the thought of "wouldn't it be hilarious if after all that work I crashed the damn thing" had *just* gone through my mind. Well, I flipped it and it got stuck in a high-alpha. Not enough power to pull out, and not enough forward airspeed to get the nose down. So it pancaked into the cotton at a relatively low speed. Found a small cotton stalk had punched through the wing and made a very small hole (easily repaired) and I stripped a servo... that was it. I got very, very lucky.
                    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...thread/page595

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

Yes, you can do a high alpha approach... but 1 degree too high is fatal.
                      I find that the Mirage is very forgiving in this area and is very controllable at high alpha and low speeds.

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Yes on Deltas. I have a Tiger Meet Mirage in the box (shame on me). I'd love an F4-d Skyray.

Comment

Originally posted by davecee View Post
                          Yes on Deltas. I have a Tiger Meet Mirage in the box (shame on me). I'd love an F4-d Skyray.
                          Get that sucker out and fly it...you'll love it!
                          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I have a history of buying things that then spend a lot of time in the box in a corner of my hobby room.

Comment

Another cool and useful feature of the Gripen is that its front canards also double as airbrakes.So Working canards would be a must to get the most out of the Gripens capabilities.

Name:	Saab Gripen 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	155577

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                                Another cool and useful feature of the Gripen is that its front canards also double as airbrakes.So Working canards would be a must to get the most out of the Gripens capabilities.

Name:	Saab Gripen 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	155577
                                I have my J-10 setup like that.
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

A Concorde would be fun.

Comment

Don't flip the canards to airbrake while flying... that would be bad.

Comment

Mine are on the bind button.
                                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Why not the XB-70 or F-108. I could see Freewing taking the old Nicesky Valk and putting in a better power plant and retracts, but keeping it a single 70 mm feeding a 6 duct manifold

Comment

Working...
                                        X