X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-4 Skyhawk weathering

Still messing around with weathering these foam planes did a combination of a slight wash then airbrushing, just having fun but helps it look more scale.

Derek, plane really looks nice. Does not look like a foam plane at all..

Congrats,
    Ed

Comment

D.MRC, Outstanding! Really diggin' all the beautiful liveries and superb weathering goin' on. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Very convincing, I like the beat up look on these era birds. Although the CAG might be miffed with his crew chief a little bit.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          Very convincing, I like the beat up look on these era birds. Although the CAG might be miffed with his crew chief a little bit.
          Alpha, Alpha/Alpha-Acknowledged/Agreed. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks guys it is a learning process !

Comment

Needs some Bird Strike streaks on it still.

Comment

Have an example photo ?

Comment

WOW! Great work! well done sir!
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by Derek.motionrc View Post
                    Still messing around with weathering these foam planes did a combination of a slight wash then airbrushing, just having fun but helps it look more scale.
                    Derek, your work on this and the F-4 is terrific- I've done a fair amount of weathering in the past but never used a "wash", which I'd like to try. Could you describe your technique?
                    Tom

Comment

I just finished weathering a Dynam B-26 and thought I would post some photos. The story behind this particular plane is that one of my uncles who served in World War II flew the B-26 Marauder and was lost on his 36th mission over Ovierto Italy in January 1944. Had he flown one more (37 missions) he would have rotated home. Of the six crew members only two (the tail gunner and the turret gunner) made it out of the plane. The other four went down with the plane. My uncle Luis was the pilot/aircraft commander. My father, two of his older brothers and his younger brother all served in the war. Luis flew the B-26, my uncle Al flew the B-29. My dad and his younger brother were in pilot training when they decided they had enough pilots and transferred my dad to the infantry where he served with Patton in Europe in 1944 and 1945.

I used the Tamiya Olive Drab for the top and the sky blue/gray for the bottom. I wanted to simulate the weathering with the paint peeling off of the aluminum finish so I used a plumbers acid brush and then just dipped it in some silver paint and stippled it over the olive drab and sky blue. While it was wet I then took a tissue and smudged the paint in the direction of the airflow. I also use some artist pastel chalks to simulate the other weathering. I used some pint to simulate the av gas flowing back from the gas caps on the top of the wing. I then used some black, gray and brown to simulate the various stains on the plane (grease, a little exhaust weathering etc.). Once all of this was complete I sprayed the entire plane with a Tamiya flat clear. I replaced the stock wheels and tires with similar size units from Robart.

Ed

Comment

Derek:
                        Sorry for posting a prop plane in the jet forums. I thought this was a thread on weathering and failed to look before posting. I can remove the post if you like.

Ed

Comment

Doesn't bother me, plus you will find this forum much more relaxed than other places.

Comment

No I think it is great you shared both the plane and the story. This was more about weathering then the A-4 Skyhawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek.motionrc View Post
                              No I think it is great you shared both the plane and the story. This was more about weathering then the A-4 Skyhawk.
                              Indeed! Derek, could you describe your "wash" technique please?
                              Tom

Comment

I am using a dirty mix in color, not to gray not to brown you can mess with that to your liking, So far I find 25% paint 25% Testors Acrylic Thinner and 50% water make a good slow drying wash that is permanent when dry. Brush it on in panel sections and then lightly dab off until you get the desired affect. I was using a slightly damp paper towel. Remember you can always go darker! do a second wash in some areas if you like just very hard to ever go lighter.

Comment

Derek, thanks for that! I'm going to attack my F-22 as it's just too light for my liking.
                                  Tom

Comment

Let me know how that goes and post a pic here !

Comment

Will do! :Cool:
                                      Tom

Comment

Working...
                                      X