X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
    I flew the Rebel today for the first time. First time I have ever flown an EDF and the first time in 8 years I have flown anything. The winds were 8-12 and that proved to be very tough on this plane. I did get in 4 flights (4 packs) successfully. She flew GREAT in between wind gusts and after I get her trimmed out. I am very pleased with this little plane. Will be going out again tomorrow morning for 4 more flights.
    Welcome to the EDF club CVA59!
    Be warned though...it's addictive :bluecool
    If the wind continues to be a problem for you consider fitting a simple gyro to smooth out the bumps.
    Something like this one is easy to install and works a treat: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-airplane-gyro

Comment

The only real way to learn how to deal with wind is to fly in wind.

I spent a few years flying slope gliders We considered winds that would have most power model flyers not even leave the house. The wind was our power source.

Also having flown thermal sailplanes I learned how to read the terrain and structures to predict wind effects.

I'l fly a Parkzone Micro T-28 in winds that have others in the local club packing up their .40 and .60 size glow models.

Wind does some strange things if you don't know what to look for in order to predict it. A tree 400 yards (or more) upwind from the runway can have effect on the wind over the runway.

A line of trees can act as a wall, producing a "ridge lift" effect in front with a strong "sink" directly behind. This produces a rotor (swirling air like a curling wave for surfers) that can flip a full scale Cessna 172 if the pilot comes over too low and is unprepared. Buildings, hills and even parked cars can have similar effects for our models.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Agreed fhhuber. I always regard gyros as an aid to make life a little easier, not to compensate for a lack of ability to cope.
        CVA59 seems to be able cope just fine with flying in the wind so I suggested a gyro to reduce the workload a little.

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess the curve I am learning with these EDF is the light weight of the foam related to the flight characteristics. I have always flown built up balsa glow/gas prop planes and those are a bit easier for me to handle in the wind. I was quite a bit surprised at how the wind throws these EDF's around. I changed up my flight patterns some and that seemed to help as well but the landings were a handful for me. I am probably gonna have to get a gyro for sure. Fighting the wind takes away from being able to enjoy the flight for me.

EAA# 1366802
          AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
          X