X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help

The Freewing F9F that I have had now for a year plus , I was flying this past weekend . Had only taking off and made one pass when the motor started cutting out . Still had servo control but the motor was coming and going .
    I checked all the obvious things battery , connections , etc. all good and strong . No weak link in the plug I tried to make it loose connection but couldn't get it to happen . All I can figure is a ESC do funny things . Can anyone throw ideas or experiences my way  

Bryan
    But Crashing is Landing

RE: Need some help

Originally posted by Hippie 64
    The Freewing F9F that I have had now for a year plus , I was flying this past weekend . Had only taking off and made one pass when the motor started cutting out . Still had servo control but the motor was coming and going .
    I checked all the obvious things battery , connections , etc. all good and strong . No weak link in the plug I tried to make it loose connection but couldn't get it to happen . All I can figure is a ESC do funny things . Can anyone throw ideas or experiences my way  

Bryan
    Not sure how old your batteries are but we had some issues similar to that with one of my dads planes and it turned out to be a bad battery. Although it would read full charge with 4.2 volts per cell it was still bad. Maybe try a new/fresh battery and see if that does you anything.

Comment

That is a great suggestion to try a different battery if you have not yet tried. I would also possible look at the motor as well check to make sure that the motor is turning freely and that their is no grinding noises coming out of it. You could also check the timing of your esc make sure that its at high timing.
      Hope all goes well Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64

Bryan
        I had the motor cutting out for a few seconds at time with my Stinger 64. The cut out was only a few seconds, so I did not notice loss of servo control, because the motor and servo control restarted within a few seconds. I had a Tactic receiver with the short antennae.
        It turned out that my receiver was losing contact for a few seconds at a time and my receiver was going bad. A new receiver solved the problem.
        If you have a Spektrum receiver, it will be blinking after the flight, telling you how many times you browned out.
        Let us know what you find.
        Thanks
        Bill

Comment

A wattmeter is very helpful in instances like this. You can see in real time on the ground if your battery is sagging below the ESC cutoff threshold. As batteries deteriorate, their static voltage might read higher (4.0-4.2v) but once subjected to a load they quickly sag to <3.3v.

Another advantage of a wattmeter is to see if your amps are higher than normal, which could be caused by resistance somewhere in the power system. After a year of use with a belly lander, ensure you don't have any debris of muck inside the motor windings.

As Bill said, also check your receiver, and your throttle pigtail's physical connection.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks for all your responses .

Alpha I don't belly land it , gear has been installed on it . I have checked and rechecked all the wires and connections and all are in good shape . Don't think I can fit a Meter in the fuse of this one it barley holds the receiver with the limited space it has .

I'm just chalking it up to the battery age . I'm still learning much and was unaware that a year was about the life of the batteries .

Thanks again guys it's nice to have a place to fall back on

Bryan  
            But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Working...
            X