X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First EDF is on its way

My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
    My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.
    Congrats!!!

I just flew my Rebel (my first EDF) for the first time last week. I cannot believe how happy I was that I could still fly after 8+ years of being away from this hobby. I have heard some good things about Gyro's although I have never used one. I have always flown by the seat of my pants so to speak. Anyway, keep us posted on how she flies.

EAA# 1366802
    AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Congrats Hoomi! EDF's need a more consistent throttle so just be prepared to keep it above 50% for a majority of the flight. Sure you will be fine. Report back after the maiden. Which gyro were you thinking? HobbyEagle? Admiral Gyro Rx?

Comment

Hey Hoomi,

After watching Pilot Ryan's, and Captain Mikes Video on this plane I just had to get it. I like all the 64mm planes I have purchased from MRC. I like em so much I'm going to spring the additional cash to change out the, "Howeling Betty", 6 blade fans this year. Don't get me wrong the planes fly just fine with them, I just hate the sound they make. I'm going to upgrade some of mine with the 12 bladed fan setup. But the stock ones fly just fine.

I just started assembling mine this weekend. Maybe we can compare notes? Good luck to ya!

Woody

Comment

Are you using the landing gear or are you belly landing it? If'you're using the LG, are you trying to fly from grass or do you have pavement? From personal experience, it takes a little bit more runway taking off and landing than a prop does, and I hope you've flown something with tricycle landing gear because it's different landing than a tail-drager. And the only time I use gyros is BNF E-flites. And if you have a sim, get plenty of practice if you can find your plane in the menu.

Comment

Cant wait to hear you feedback. Have fun!

Comment

I ordered the Eagle A3 Pro gyro for it, as for just a little more money than the bottom level Eagle, it offers a lot more features.

So far, I don't know when the Stinger will arrive, as we're still waiting for UPS to finish their investigation on the lost shipment, after which they'll either have found it and delivered it, or MRC will ship a replacement.

I've flown a couple of tricycle gear planes so far, while only one tail-dragger. Our runway is a decent length, though I could still do a toss-launch, if I'm too worried about it. We have several pilots out at SAGE that fly EDFs, so I should have a good pool of experienced pilots to help me out as I'm learning.

I'll have to check RealFlight 7.5 to see if there are any EDF models in there. I'm not sure if I've looked before.

Comment

I ordered the Eagle A3 Pro gyro for it, as for just a little more money than the bottom level Eagle, it offers a lot more features.

So far, I don't know when the Stinger will arrive, as we're still waiting for UPS to finish their investigation on the lost shipment, after which they'll either have found it and delivered it, or MRC will ship a replacement.

I've flown a couple of tricycle gear planes so far, while only one tail-dragger. Our runway is a decent length, though I could still do a toss-launch, if I'm too worried about it. We have several pilots out at SAGE that fly EDFs, so I should have a good pool of experienced pilots to help me out as I'm learning.

I'll have to check RealFlight 7.5 to see if there are any EDF models in there. I'm not sure if I've looked before.
                From my POV ground take offs are always easier. You might want to check here for sim downloads:
                Knife Edge Software, developers of RealFlight, discussion page

Comment

I'll need to browse through some of the earlier versions of Realflight over on the Knife Edge pages. I didn't see the Stinger under either just Stinger or under Freewing, in either the RF 7.5 or 8 section. I didn't see a Waco under either of them, either, which surprises me, as many models of the Waco as are available.

Comment

I'll need to browse through some of the earlier versions of Realflight over on the Knife Edge pages. I didn't see the Stinger under either just Stinger or under Freewing, in either the RF 7.5 or 8 section. I didn't see a Waco under either of them, either, which surprises me, as many models of the Waco as are available.
                    The Waco might come up under a "biplane" search. And the rest of you correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a viper jet have the same characteristics as a stinger?

Comment

I might also search and see if they have the HobbyKing Stinger. I looked under 'S' for Stinger and under 'F' for Freewing, and saw no matches. Same with the Waco. I looked under 'W' and under 'D' for 'Dynam,' but didn't search for any other manufacturer.

Comment

MRC is shipping out the replacement for the lost shipment either tomorrow or Monday. w00t!

Comment

UPS found the original shipment, and it's out for delivery today. MRC got the notification in time to save them the expense and work of shipping out another. :)

Comment

UPS found the original shipment, and it's out for delivery today. MRC got the notification in time to save them the expense and work of shipping out another. :)
                            UPS... When doing it right is not an option.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

UPS... When doing it right is not an option.
                              They're still head and shoulders better than USPS.

My wife and son work for a small company that makes props for fire performers. They've had shipments misdelivered by USPS, and when they tried to file a claim on the insurance, the Postal Service's attitude was, "Well, we delivered it, so there's no claim. What do you want us to do? Go back and get it from the wrong address?" (The Postal Service customer service rep actually said that)

Somehow or another, my Stinger ended up in Vernon, California, after being scanned in at the Phoenix hub, but they did find it and get it here today.

I have an estimated arrival of my gyro and landing gear for this coming Monday, so I'll wait to do much with the plane until I have everything.

Comment

Well you COULD assemble the airframe, that way all you have to do is glue on the LG, install you electronics, and then adjust your servos.

Comment

That's true.

Today's big project, though, is replacing the rear brakes on my Subaru.

Adulting. Bah!

Comment

It arrived yesterday evening around 6:45, though after saying goodbye to our senior dog yesterday, we weren't in much of a celebratory mood.

Comment

after saying goodbye to our senior dog yesterday, we weren't in much of a celebratory mood.
                                      Sorry to hear about your dog. I used to have a Black Lab many years ago that died while I was out of state for a short while and it really hurt me. He was more than a dog, he was a true family member.

EAA# 1366802
                                      AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

It would be so much easier to say goodbye, if they were "just dogs."

Shiloh had been part of the family for over 13 years, and he'd been both my wife's show dog for obedience and rally events, and her service dog before her hip replacement. He was one of the most personable dogs we've ever been privileged to know.

Comment

Working...
                                        X