X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best F-16?

I am thinking about adding an F-16 to my collection, and an seriously considering the new UMX Eflight version, but then I see the Rockhobby F-16 PNP for the same money, and also the Freewing version as well. I don't have a ton of EDF experience, just my Freewing F9Fand Mig 15, as well as the Stinger 64 3 cell version, and the UMX Habu. All are fun to fly, but the UMX Habu with the AS3X is particularly easy to fly for me. Most of my experience is with prop planes and have no issues with warbirds and the like.

I think I could handle the F-16 without much issue, but want to get the best one for the money. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Rich

RE: Best F-16?

Hi Rich,
    Each of those models has their pros and cons. The UMX Eflight F-16 is quite an exciting performer in a compact package. If you're already comfortable with other AS3X models, then the UMX F-16 is a natural choice. The RocHobby F-16 is a fun plane on a 3s 2200, especially with the underwing ordnance removed. Removing the landing gear as well gives the model even more speed and agility. The Freewing F-16 70mm is larger than both of these other jets, and offers a new horizon of control potential with its thrust vectored nozzle. I would recommend it for a paved surface only, otherwise hand tossing is a must.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

RE: Best F-16?

Thanks Alpha,

I went ahead an picked up the Eflite F-16 today after work at our LHS. I took it straight home, bound it to my DX9, charged the batteries and took her out to the field. Since the "elevators" work as elevons on this plane, I wasn't sure what to expect, I thought I would have to do some different programming to set that up, but Eflite has the mix set up in the plane, and all you have to do is bind and everything is working.

I thought I had more of the 280mAH batteries, but turns out most of mine are the 250mAH and only 25C rated, and compared to the 280 which is a 30C rating. I didn't think there would be much difference, so I bought both. My first flight was with the 250mAH battery. Hand launching over the grass was easy, and the F16 just required a small amount of left trim. I set up the model per the manual with the recommended throw rates and expos. The smaller battery flew well, but I couldn't get the plane to loop. She would go to the top, and kind of roll over and keep flying. It seemed no time at all and I could hear the fan starting to pulse, indicating the battery was getting low. I made a few slow practice runs over the grass and I am impressed with how slow this plane will fly and stay stable. Landing was no issue at all.

Second flight was with the recommended battery, and there was a definite difference in performance. The plane was faster, it would loop, and was even more fun to fly. I will have to pick up more of the correct batteries for this one tomorrow!

Now I am thinking about one of those larger Rockhobby or FMS EDFs! This little is fun, but it is small and quickly gets nearly out of sight. A larger model would be easier to see, and even faster! hmmmmm, which one??? :huh:

Comment

Working...
      X