X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for flying first EDF

I just finished building an Avanti S and this is my first EDF. I’ve been flying RC for many years and have flown both fixed wing and helis. I’m a pretty good pilot, but I’m a bit nervous about flying the Avanti. I’ve got a small, fast plane that I’m guessing is similar to land. It’s a 38” span 3dlabprints Spitfire that does between 70 and 80 mph. It’s very slippery with no gear or flaps, but I’ve learned how to get it slowed down and do pretty well with the landings. For my first flight with the Avanti I was thinking that I should do all of the first flight dirty with the flaps and gear down and get used to how it flies slow this way a few mistakes high before I attempt a landing. Does this sound good or do you guys have any other suggestions for me for the maiden? Living in northern Minnesota, it will be a while before she takes flight anyway! ????

Thanks in advance!

Bill

That sounds good. Make sure to lower your rates, maybe add some expo, so it's not so twitchy. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Comment

Thanks. Considering the depth of the snow and the fact that it was -22f this morning, I’m months away from the maiden.

I’ve got an FRSky receiver with stabilization in it, so that should help too. I’m also putting one in my Carbon Z Cub to be sure I get it all sorted out before I maiden it in the Avanti.

Comment

Just fly it. The Avanti is a easy plane and you'll have no issues.

Comment

Thanks Evan. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Make sure the CG is correct, then double check it or even ask an experienced flyer at your field to double check. Make sure your control services are at centered as possible to eliminate as much need for trim as possible. Beyond that, I have no problem asking one of our local instructors at the field to make the first takeoff and landing and set the trims. I just maidened my F 86 and it was the instructor who made the take off and landing and trimmed. I was amazed How easy it is to fly when I took the sticks. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X