Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Avanti S? Yellow or Red?

Hello Hobby Squawkers. Quick question for you:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 80mm Avanti S. Which do you recommend? Yellow or Red?

I kind of like the looks of the Yellow one better, but I'm thinking the Red is easier to see. I already have a red Stinger and Hawk, so was hoping for a change, but want to be sure the Yellow one can be seen easily.

Any thoughts? Thanks as always.

Out

Get what u like. They both fly the same. Great.

Comment

I’ve had red, yellow, blue, black, white planes and quite frankly, once they get to around 200 feet away and beyond, especially fast planes, they start to fade out to grey, then black. You won’t be able to tell if it’s yellow or red, though you’ll still see it but it will be in shades of grey and in silhouette. I think with your experience, you’ll learn real quick (if you haven’t already) that you fly the plane within your visual safety distance. Of course, if you’re a young sprout, then you might get another 100 feet further before it starts to fade.

Comment

Something else to think about is that you get a 9 blade fan with the red and a 12 blade with the yellow unless you are going the ARF route. From what I understand you will get better acceleration with the 9 and better top-end speed with the 12 but not by much. I have the yellow and it sounds great! Also, if you are flying off grass you may want to look into a support for the nose gear.

It's a great flying plane and has exceeded my expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
          Something else to think about is that you get a 9 blade fan with the red and a 12 blade with the yellow unless you are going the ARF route. From what I understand you will get better acceleration with the 9 and better top-end speed with the 12 but not by much. I have the yellow and it sounds great! Also, if you are flying off grass you may want to look into a support for the nose gear.

It's a great flying plane and has exceeded my expectations!
          Thanks for the tip on the different fans. I didn't catch that. Being the same price, I assumed they were the same plane just a different color.

I'll go with the 12 blade. I think they sound better than the 9.

thanks to everyone

Comment

I like both so you really can't go wrong with either. If I had to choose, I'd say the Yellowjacket is the one for you, if anything because you said you already have two other red birds.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              I like both so you really can't go wrong with either. If I had to choose, I'd say the Yellowjacket is the one for you, if anything because you said you already have two other red birds.
              Agreed. Wanted something set apart form the Hawk and the Stinger.

That being said, the red BAE Hawk is the brightest thing in the sky when I fly it. You can see that little guy a mile away. That's one of the many things I love about that plane.

Hoping the Avanti flies as nice.

thanks all for the help

Comment

If your referring to the 70mm Hawk I have both and they both have the same locked-in feeling. Only difference I feel is that the Avanti can land at much lower speeds than the 70mm Hawk, at least when I'm at the stick. That being said, I do have a tendency to land a little hot with my 70's so your results may differ.

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                  Hello Hobby Squawkers. Quick question for you:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 80mm Avanti S. Which do you recommend? Yellow or Red?

I kind of like the looks of the Yellow one better, but I'm thinking the Red is easier to see. I already have a red Stinger and Hawk, so was hoping for a change, but want to be sure the Yellow one can be seen easily.

Any thoughts? Thanks as always.

Out
                  For me yellow is 10x easier to see than red. Pick which ever color you like the best, for me it was yellow.

Comment

Well, the Yellow one showed up yesterday and I have it together for the maiden on Saturday. Really glad I got the Yellow one. It looks fantastic.

Only complaint: Really hate the fact that the canopy isn't already attached with a pilot. Gluing sucks, especially on an important detail like the canopy. My fingers have been sticky all day :(

Comment

If gluing the canopy on is too difficult maybe another hobby is in order... Joking... I know it can make a mess... :)

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                      Well, the Yellow one showed up yesterday and I have it together for the maiden on Saturday. Really glad I got the Yellow one. It looks fantastic.

Only complaint: Really hate the fact that the canopy isn't already attached with a pilot. Gluing sucks, especially on an important detail like the canopy. My fingers have been sticky all day :(

Comment

I've used clear packing tape in the past.
                        Attach the canopy using small pieces in strategic locations. With quality clear tape you'll never know it's there, it holds the canopy through anything, and is removable later down the road.

Comment

I don't know I'd trust that on a quicker EDF plus removing the tape will also remove paint and/ or decals.

Comment

I've removed and re-attached several canopies and some, I've even done it more than once. I've never had any note worthy issues with sticky fingers, etc. I use a sharp, pointy X-acto knife and pick a spot to start lifting the canopy edge away from the body along the existing glue line. Once it's started, DO NOT use the knife to slice along the glue line but just continue to lift all the way around. After you get enough lifted (usually a couple inches), you can use your fingers to do the rest. Don't attempt to clean the residue of the previous glue or try to clean up the surface on the body from which it came off. When ready to put back on, I use FoamTac (sparingly) along the same rough, uncleaned glue line. You can put the FoamTac either on the canopy or on the body over top the old glue line. All the lumps and bumps of the old glue will match the lumps and bumps on the body and once the FoamTac firms up a bit, you can let go and it looks just like before you pulled it off. FoamTac tends to remain somewhat rubbery so you can do it again later if you need to or want to replace the pilot with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              I don't know I'd trust that on a quicker EDF plus removing the tape will also remove paint and/ or decals.
                              One of my Avantis has been flying with the original tape I put on years ago. Anyone that's seen me fly can attest - If it hasn't blown off the way I fly it, it's not likely to come off anyone's jet.

I've also used this method on 150+mph jets with no uncommanded canopy jettisons.

Comment

Working...
                              X