X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starmax F-16 90mm

Hi all, I am very new to this hobby. A friend of mine gave me this aircraft today. I currently on fly my eflite Apprentice. This is my first ever jet. It is a build kit. It did not come with servos, or esc motor. It recomends 80 esc and brushless motor with 11 gram servos. I was just looking for suggestions on the type I should get. I have a spektrum transmitter. Thanks for any advice I am very willing to listen and learn.

My experience with Starmax tells me that this brand of EDF are in the low end of quality and performance. At least you have the kit so you can put in whatever you want. I would suggest you take a look at a current generation of "good" product like the Freewing 90mm F-16 and put in what components you see there. Take note of the comparison of the total flying weight of a finished version of one vs that of the other. If the Starmax is about the same weight as the Freewing, then power it with as much thrust as you can afford, especially if you're going to fly off grass. I had the Freewing 90mm F-16 "high power" inrunner version and it was hard pressed to get off grass but it did manage. A normally powered one would never have gotten off the grass where I flew it.
    I would not take too serious what Starmax "recommends" as their PNP models were somewhat underachievers.

Comment

I will be flying off of a runway not grass. Hopefully landing on it safely. The specs call for an outrunner motor. Is there a big difference between inrunner and out runner. Like I said this is all very new to me. I am loving my apprentice right now but I know I will want to go to something else so I am going to take my time and build this right. This is also my first ever build.

Comment

Re: outrunner vs inrunner ......................... If you take a look on some websites like RC Castle, you will see some popular jets of today in 2 forms. One is the "regular" one that is the PNP outrunner. Then, with some jets, they also list a "high speed", inrunnner version. The inrunner version is usually a bit more expensive because they perform a bit better. Inrunners version usually run up to the same kv but they can produce more consistent high rpm punch with the same number of blades in the fan. Higher blade count fans has higher resistance and taxes the motor more. An inrunner seems to be able to handle it better.
        Since you have the advantage of a smooth runway, you likely don't absolutely need the inrunner. If I were you, I'd spec it out with something more akin to the more current 90mm F-16, like the Freewing one. Starmax is somewhat "yesterday" and even back then, they needed some work.

Comment

Working...
        X