Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for chiming in so late. I was wondering about the sonic cloud produced on a fast moving jet. If it the turbulance being built up around the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
      Sorry for chiming in so late. I was wondering about the sonic cloud produced on a fast moving jet. If it the turbulance being built up around the fans.
      The visible coning mist is the interface of the shockwave with moist air.

This can occur while the aircraft is slightly under Mach 1 as the shock wave starts forming around some parts of the aircraft earlier.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Follow the noise and watts levels.

Comment

Gents, can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on "building" inlet ducts?. The layman in me just tells me to cut foam to size and mother it in fiberglass and then dig out the foam. BUTTTTTT......... im sure there is a professional way to do it

Mike

Comment

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, however, with a little luck the people who participated in it are still around and could help bring what's bouncing around in my head into a bit better focus.

What I'm thinking of is possibly converting a Byron F-16 to EDF. Perhaps using a JP 120EDF as a fan.

I don't have a kit in front of me at the moment, so I don't have clear measurements to work from (yet). I've seen several F-16 EDF conversions, and it's all the same. Remove Rossi, Byro-Fan and tuned pipe, scrape all the castor sludge off the interior of the tail section, bolt EDF to existing fan mount former, wire and fly.

Looking up the tail-pipe of the Byron, it's nothing like smooth. Formers, contours of the fuselage, etc... I cannot help but think that the addition of an exhaust duct that would be centered in the existing outlet by retrofitting a more closed former system would eliminate turbulence, making the thrust more efficient.

Then I look at that massive cheater hole in the bottom of the fuselage, and the massive scale air intake, and I cannot help but wonder if a smooth, consistently tapered duct from the intake to the front side of the fan would actually provide adequate smooth air flow while eliminating the need for that huge, loud, turbulent hole in the belly.

Is this a feasible enough concept to warrant sitting down at the calculator, mocking up some test ducts and taking measurements on the bench before sliding them into a fuselage? Or is it just a pipe dream? (pun fully intended)

Please be kind, I've just begun digging into this idea, and this was the first source I found with people who actually sound like they know what they're talking about. LOL

Thanks in adavance!

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X