Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing ME 262 thoughts?

Any thoughts on the 262?

Which one? I have the Freewing "Yellow 7" and I like it a lot. The only thing that I've had that needed attention is the nose section is very weak. First bumpy landing and the whole think just snapped off. Re-enforcing it with popsicle sticks did the trick. Shoulda done it right out of the box. It's very powerful and flies with great presence and authority. I can do a wheel stand from a standing start if I max out the throttle. It's like a dragster without the wheelie bars.

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Peytonpurvis. I'll echo what xviper said. The current version is quite nice and powered very well. Reinforcing the nose area is a good idea.

The other thing to watch for is, with it's low slung motors, it will push the nose up before it's at full flying speed. So if you have this knowledge, when taking off, don't use flaps, don't push the throttle up too fast, and feed a little down elevator until the bird is at flying speed. Then just relax the down elevator and she'll take off with a smooth climb out.

There is a good thread here on Hobby Squawk that can be a good source of other owner's impressions and experience.
      Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 70mm Twin Me 262. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any

Comment

Hello and welcome Peytonpurvis.

The Me-262 V2 is one of the top 3 FW EDF's in terms of stability, performance and looks for me. Many people have added some reinforcement to the nose/battery bay area, and whilst I think its a worth while mod, in flying my V2 Me-262 for almost a year now I have not seen the need for it, but I'm also flying a light weight pack, our Admiral 5000mah 6S (one of the lightest in this class). The important thing is to simply landing on the main wheels first, then let the nose come down and this is easy to do with the 262.

Not sure if you are flying from grass, but that was a concern for many people looking at the 262 but if that's the case for you, as long as your field is relatively well kept, you'll be fine. You can see more in the flight vid I did last year below and if first gen jets are your things, I'd highly encourage you to get the 262, you will not be disappointed. Flight times are respectable too, 4+mins, just don't push it too far or you may need to go for swim as I did!

Stuart.

Comment

Mine arrived yesterday. Great looking model, hope to maiden her this weekend. There are no recommended control throws in the manual. Any suggestions? How about an addendum under the “Support” tab on the MRC site?

Comment

As a point of reference, I use the same setting for most the EDF's from FW, including the L-39, F-22, Venom, BAE-Hawk.

Either way, it dosn't need much in the way of throws. No mixing of flaps to elevator either.

S.

Comment

I'm impressed. Quite a model...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Größenänderung DSCF0362.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	190820Click image for larger version

Name:	Me262 F22 Side.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	190821

Comment

Good, all went well then? Yes, in fact for me its neck and neck between the 262 and the Venom. As it happens, I flew our 8S F-22 today, a very different bird to the 262, but fun none the less.

Look forward to seeing more from you Radar on this.

S.

Comment

The falling leaf mottling is never easy to recreate, especially on a mass produced model painted by hand. We implemented a special training course for the paint team to airbrush the mottling pattern by hand. After painting the main areas using conformal paint molds and letting it dry, the mottling alongside the fuselage is applied by a different painter using a smaller airbrush. It adds lots of time to the production line, but I think the result is much more realistic than hard lined mottling. Our gradations and patterns are unique; no two Me-262s are identical.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Great paint job, although the FSA looks a bit different. More mottling, please... ;)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Original Smithonian.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	190972

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                      The falling leaf mottling is never easy to recreate, especially on a mass produced model painted by hand. We implemented a special training course for the paint team to airbrush the mottling pattern by hand. After painting the main areas using conformal paint molds and letting it dry, the mottling alongside the fuselage is applied by a different painter using a smaller airbrush. It adds lots of time to the production line, but I think the result is much more realistic than hard lined mottling. Our gradations and patterns are unique; no two Me-262s are identical.
                      ​​​​​​
                      A masking "card" held a couple of inches from the model and spraying through the holes will result in fuzzy edged mottling.
                      Do it with a card for each color and doing the mottling will be quicker.

Wastes more paint and your "cards" will have to be cleaned off (thin metal) or replaced (card stock) when the buildup is thick.

But it would save time and make the pattern more alike from one plane to the next.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Made the first three flights, absolutely no issues. No problem with take-offs even from higher grass. Flight times with 6s 6000mAh between 5 and 6 min, ~3,7V left per cell.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Größenänderung DSCF0516.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	191010

Click image for larger version  Name:	Größenänderung DSCF0549.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	191011

Comment

Here's a video of my third flight. Poor take-off, somewhat overenthusiastic on the nose wheel steering....

Comment

Great proof that the 262 can coupe with even rough grass strips ;) Nice video Radar-guy and what did your club mates make of it?

S.

Comment

Just got my Freewing me 262 ( v2 ) I don't want to pop for a 6s cell. I was planning on two, 3s in series as I have plenty of them. Any advice on amp and c rating ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman View Post
                                Just got my Freewing me 262 ( v2 ) I don't want to pop for a 6s cell. I was planning on two, 3s in series as I have plenty of them. Any advice on amp and c rating ?
                                This plane flies on a 5000mah, 6s LiPo or bigger. If you want similar flight times, you'll need the equivalent mah, so you'd need 2 x 5000mah, 3s and because it's an EDF, a "C" rating of 50C or higher should be your target.

Comment

I don't have current telemetry on the 262 but a safe assumption would be 140A at full throttle on a fresh pack. Although you don't tend to fly this thing at full throttle all the time, unless you want a very exciting 2 minutes.

Youll need a 'true' 30C 5000mah pack, which means it probably needs to have 50C written on the label.

Comment

Spiderman Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Ditto with what xviper and mshagg have said.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      This plane flies on a 5000mah, 6s LiPo or bigger. If you want similar flight times, you'll need the equivalent mah, so you'd need 2 x 5000mah, 3s and because it's an EDF, a "C" rating of 50C or higher should be your target.
                                      I should have mentioned that this plane does float very well and you could just "idle" it around the whole flight (after take off) and get by with less mah (but what's the fun in that?). You didn't mention what size of 3s you've got so many of but you could make up the weight difference with ballast and if you take off on a smooth runway that has some length to it, you might get away with lower "C" rated batteries. If you take off from grass, low C batteries could present a bit of a challenge but again, with a long enough run and the use of take off flaps, it might do it. However, if it won't develop enough speed on the grass and you rotate too soon, it can go nose up and tip stall before you have a chance to correct (I know this from experience). The low slung motors tend to give it a tendency to lift off before it's really ready.
                                      As what mshagg said, any "C" stamped on the battery is almost always more than twice over rated. Typical 30C batteries will give you about 15C, if it's a brand name.

Comment

I decided to dress up mine lolClick image for larger version

Name:	20211023_171027.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	328021

Comment

Working...
                                        X