X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti edf best flap settings

What are the best flap #s for takeoff and landing.
    for Avanti. thanks

It's been almost 24 hrs and nobody has replied to you. I think it's because this question has been asked a lot in the past and quite frankly, what's "best" for me may not be the best for the next guy and may not be the best for you and many people don't want to be responsible for someone crashing their plane based on personal preferences. The manual gives you numbers for what to dial in for 1/2 and full flaps. 1/2 flaps is usually for take off and full for landing but not everyone even uses flaps for take off and landing. Dial in some elevator compensation and slow down the deployment as it suits you. Always start small and find out for yourself what feels right for you and test it at altitude (pretend you're taking off or landing but from 200 feet up). What is says in the manual are "recommendations" only and it's up to each individual flyer to determine how these work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Dial in some elevator compensation and slow down the deployment as it suits you.
      I have read posts in more than one place that slowing down the flaps on the Avanti was causing issues such as a servo "sticking" and not deploying or retracting fully. The recommendation was to run the servos at full speed. Is this a real issue? If so, has anything been figured out regarding this?

Deploying or retracting flaps and ending up rolling hard is not my idea of a good time...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Sanford View Post

I have read posts in more than one place that slowing down the flaps on the Avanti was causing issues such as a servo "sticking" and not deploying or retracting fully. The recommendation was to run the servos at full speed. Is this a real issue? If so, has anything been figured out regarding this?

Deploying or retracting flaps and ending up rolling hard is not my idea of a good time...
        Yes, this has been an issue and I don't recall a fix for it except to not use a delay as a sure way to prevent it. I recall that some have taken the flaps off the control board and hooked them up directly to the RX and this has worked and delay is possible again. However, not all of these planes exhibit this fault, so it's something that has to be tried (with some risk). The risk is reduced greatly if the deployment or retraction is done with the anticipation of having to immediately undo what you just did. This happened to me on a couple of occasions but the aileron throw was sufficient to counter this while I flipped the flap switch back to where it was. Then I landed. On mine, it was usually on 1/2 flaps for take off and one flap wouldn't retract. The plane began to roll but it was not difficult to counter with opposite aileron while I flipped the flap switch back. The only time it did this was with a delay of more than 2 seconds but with a delay this long, the plane won't "roll hard" as you say. It rolls slowly enough that only the really "dumb thumbed" won't be able to compensate and only those who don't realize that when something "bad" happens after you do something, you must "undo" it. Most people who have reached the stage of RC flying where they fly this Avanti S, have enough experience that "dumb thumbs" and "brain farts" of this specific issue is much reduced. If you "freeze" when unexpected moments like this happens, then you're done for. If this ever happened with NO delay, then YES, it will roll hard but to my knowledge, it doesn't happen when no delay is employed. I have my delay down to 2 seconds from 4 seconds and it has not misbehaved since.
        The very first time this happened to me was at 4 seconds delay. It was so slow, that I was able to actually fly over 1/2 a circuit with only one flap at 1/2. It was quite controllable until I figured out what was going on. The "crash and burn" scenario is way over-stated and sounds more scary to less experienced flyers than what it really is.
        If you use the flaps with no delay, then it is important to know what flaps do and when to deploy them. One slows down as you descend in preparation for landing and while doing so, deploy the flaps in 2 stages. Those who deploy flaps at speed to initiate the slowing down, are the ones whose planes balloon like crazy.

Comment

Working...
        X