X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebel V2 CG

I recently purchased the Rebel V2 (thanks Motion RC) and I have a question about the proper CG location. The manual states that the CG should approximately be between 90 to 100 mm from the leading edge of the wing along the side of the fuselage. I found my model being quite tail heavy even with the use of the Admiral 3000 battery pack that is recommended for this model. I had to use about 2 oz of lead weight epoxied into nose cone to get aircraft to balance at the 95mm mark (split the difference) and I was inquiring on other owners of this model were experiencing. Another thing I noticed was the OA flying weight was about 6 Oz heavier than listed in specifications. I have not flown aircraft yet so as not to chance a possible mishap before getting some input from others that are flying theirs sucessfully. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RE: Rebel V2 CG

This seems to be a common complaint, being tail heavy.

I set up and flew one but I cut in 4200 mAh cells. Any time I see or have to add weight to any model I try to change this weight into useful battery load. I usually like my models set aft of the recommended CofG as it can cut down on pilot load as the plane's speed changes. I hate to fight up trim. I'm all but sure I flew at 100 mm and probably even further aft as the flight tests proceeded. I don't recall the all up weight but 6 oz should not be much of an issue with the huge wing area of the Rebel.

Comment

Thanks Konrad,

I considered using a heavier battery pack prior to adding the required nose weight to achieve the desired CG at 95mm. The first problem with an alternate battery pack was encountered trying to fit the recommended 3000 pack into alloted space. Even at that I had to do some carving of the foam forward of battery space to allow ease of install and removal of battery. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I chose to add receiver redundancy from ESC brown out by adding the CC 10A BEC located in a carved out area forward of battery above front retract well.

However, after further investigation I noted that I probably could have utilized the Admiral 3600 battery because it approximately has the identical dimensions but weighing about 3 extra ounces which had been beneficial two fold. At this point I will fly as is and determine if 1) if it flies well at this CG point, and 2) will it be worth it to pull off nose cone and replace to experiment with a heavier battery pack.

Thanks again, Happy flying. ...

Comment

I like the CC BEC10 and use them a lot. Fly with what you have. But make sure the CofG is within range or where you want it. I like to land with 15° to 30° flap with these 70mm sport jets. It helps make sure the tips don't stall first. And without a prop hanging out, to add drag to slow down the plane the added flaps help from over shooting the runway.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
          I like the CC BEC10 and use them a lot. Fly with what you have. But make sure the CofG is within range or where you want it. I like to land with 15° to 30° flap with these 70mm sport jets. It helps make sure the tips don't stall first. And without a prop hanging out, to add drag to slow down the plane the added flaps help from over shooting the runway.
          Where did you guys put your receiver and remote antenna?? :huh:
          Gary

Comment

Para1911A1,

There's really only one place for the receiver that I know of. The instructions that come with the Rebel are very ambiguous on receiver install. I'm using the Futaba R2008SB located in the area behind the battery bay. I ran one antenna horizontally inside fuselage above the battery pack, the other antenna vertically through the top of fuselage behind the canopy / battery access cover. I super glued clear pushrod sheath and ran the antennas in them. The one coming through the top was dressed up with a little rubber cap that I got from a micro toggle switch.

If you are going to use a receiver with remote antennas I can only suggest that you may have to be creative and find a suitable location that may require some carving of foam. I admit that I have no experience with remote antenna type receivers so I can't really say that the above suggestion is even a viable response. However, the setup I'm using is providing stellar results so far.

Happy flying

Comment

Depends on wether you have horizontal of vertical pins. I have my satellite RX in the front wheel well and the Main Rx in the turtle deck. I often cut cavities in the fuselage for my RXs. In this case I want the battery as far forward as possible so the main RX is towards the rear of the battery compartment (up in the turtle deck). This also helps protect the RX from the battery crushing it in a mishap. The key is to run your antennae in planes (geometry) that are at 90° to each other. I often hot glue or use velcro to keep my RXs in place. For antennae I often tape or hot glue them down.
              If possible I like to place a set of antennae one in front of the battery and another aft of the battery. This way the battery can't block both sets of antennae

Comment

Working...
              X