You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing F9F Panther - What a Great EDF!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F9F Panther - What a Great EDF!

I was introduced to the Panther by some buddies who had been flying them.
    We use 3 cell 2200 mAH batteries pushed up front. I punched out some of the plywood tray so I could drop the receiver below the tray & the battery.
    To make it easier to launch, we cut out the first 2 ribs in the belly cheater holes which gives me enough of a hand hold under the CG to grab and launch the Panther in one hand while holding the transmitter in the other.
    Here are some images I shot while the boys did a little chasing each other around the field.

Do you have any flight photos to share?

Scott
    Attached Files

RE: Freewing F9F Panther - What a Great EDF!

Great photos, Scott. What a tight formation!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Scott, do you thing there is room for a 4s-2200 battery and a 50 amp esc in the Panther? I have a couple of Don's Wicked 4-S 64mm units to put in a new plane and I like that Panther and the F-18.

Comment

I absolutely love this plane guy's. Today I received my second F9F Panther, and I got it with the landing gear this time, since our field has a Geotech runway.
        In my opinion this is the best EDF that someone can start with because its a great flying plane with the straight wing.
        This new one is just a replacement for my first one that has been repaired too many times due to bad hand launches.
        I fly it with the Admiral 1600 3cell and love it like that. I don't like to cut on a plane to ad anything if I don't have to. This thing is a sweetheart on a 1600 and I imagine it's a beast with those 2200's.. lol
        Thank you Motion RC and Freewing for giving me many hours of enjoyment from this great bird... :)

Comment

IT IS ALIVE ! Meet "Franken-Panther" ! I've had one of these that I had countless flights on using stock fan unit. Wonderful model for it's price range. Finally retired it as there was more glue than foam holding the plane together. I bought and built a new one installing a Freewing 12 bladed fan unit with a Freewing 3300kv motor and a 40 amp esc (relocated to be in air flow right between cheater slots) using a 4S 2200mah 35c Admiral (minor mod to batt compartment). All I can say is wow ! This plane has sooo much more performance now, especially in the vertical ! Same stable, easy to fly Panther, just MUCH faster .... If I wasn't constantly jamming the throttle forward I could do a five minute flight easily. It's pulling 36 amps wide open. The power unit is putting out 1kg of thrust on a model with a RTF weight of 730g so you do the numbers ... up up up up .... where'd it go ????? This model is probably one of the best edf's on the market (for it's price) in the 64mm fan class in my opinion. P.S. - I installed a gyro for windy days. You'll want to cut a few slots in the plastic piece that covers the nose gear opening just so there's some airflow through the battery compartment. Also, the fan unit makes that awesome whoosh sound we all love ;) Edit: Sorry about the ramble but for some reason HobbySquawk won't let me break this post into paragraphs. Guess there are still a few bugs in the program.
          If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

Regarding "Franken-Panther", I was going to install the same power set up that I have in my Stinger 64, the 12 blade fan and the 3500kv motor. This setup is a real battery hog however. It pulls over 60 amps wide open and will zap down a 4S 2200mah 45c pack in less than three minutes of spirited flight.
            For a model like the Panther I thought the 3300kv motor was a nice compromise between extra power and flight time ....
            I posted a thread on my Stinger 64 upgrade. That thing scares the hell out of me it's so damn fast ! You can literally hand launch it vertically .... LOL ;)

Comment

Nice work! I loved my Panther, it was my first EDF, and always a smooth flier. I really hope freewing eventually brings out a larger one with retracts.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                Nice work! I loved my Panther, it was my first EDF, and always a smooth flier. I really hope freewing eventually brings out a larger one with retracts.
                Delta, if Freewing sized up that same paint scheme Panther to the 80mm power setup that they use
                on the F-5 and A-6, I'd by at least two just to have a spare ! Gotta have flaps and retracts ;)

Comment

Originally posted by The Huff View Post
                  Regarding "Franken-Panther", I was going to install the same power set up that I have in my Stinger 64, the 12 blade fan and the 3500kv motor. This setup is a real battery hog however. It pulls over 60 amps wide open and will zap down a 4S 2200mah 45c pack in less than three minutes of spirited flight.
                  For a model like the Panther I thought the 3300kv motor was a nice compromise between extra power and flight time ....
                  I posted a thread on my Stinger 64 upgrade. That thing scares the hell out of me it's so damn fast ! You can literally hand launch it vertically .... LOL ;)
                  Thumbs up on that! stinger 64, 12 blade, 2200 pack and I get 4 mins with conservative throttle use. i wondered about cutting into the battery shelf because there is so much wasted space underneath. I am using stock set up at present and using a Zippy Compact 3 cell 2200 weighing in at 182gms. Just balances at 45mm. I cut into the nose cone and fitted a Cree power led and lens so I can see it coming in any weather. I can also make it flash to give the appearance of cannons blazing.. lol My workroom is in a mess, I am supposed to be decorating.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fly2XS View Post
                    I was introduced to the Panther by some buddies who had been flying them.
                    We use 3 cell 2200 mAH batteries pushed up front. I punched out some of the plywood tray so I could drop the receiver below the tray & the battery.
                    To make it easier to launch, we cut out the first 2 ribs in the belly cheater holes which gives me enough of a hand hold under the CG to grab and launch the Panther in one hand while holding the transmitter in the other.
                    Here are some images I shot while the boys did a little chasing each other around the field.

Do you have any flight photos to share?

Scott
                    What are your rates, and how much expo did you use if any?

Comment

Working...
                    X