X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Operational Setup

I have built several edf jets (F-35, F-22, and F-15) and have tried three different control setups such as:

1) Normal mode (ailerons and elevators), the traditional controls.

2) 2X4 mode (ailerons, and elevators mixed with ailerons)

3) 4X4 mode (aileron mixed with elevators).

I keep going back to the 4X4 setup. The 4X4 setup seem to give me a better success rate on all three jets.

I just want to know different opinions and experiences on this issue.

My next project will be an F-18 (EDF) similar in design, but bigger than the one I built in the picture attached.

Attached Files

My Hornet has full span flaps, tailerons, crow and rudder airbrakes...

Comment

Evan D

1. How do you compare your present setup to the traditional control setup?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Comment

At the end of the day the only thing I'm using a lot is the aileron to taileron mix, I have it on when I have high rate ailerons. It gives a nice fast roll, certainly faster than scale though. I also mix a little down elevator to the roll to make it more axial.

I use the crow/ rudder airbrakes almost every landing after touchdown, really makes a difference in roll out on our paved runway.

I've used the full span flaps and crow in flight but not on landing. While it works well I just like standard configuration so much that's what I use. I also don't use full standard flaps since I like the feel of half flaps coming in.

Comment

Even though those three jets mentioned in the first post are similar in some ways, I do not think there is one "best" setup that will work the same for all three. There are some variations in control surface area and wing planform that might need a different approach.

One nice thing about modern radios is the ability to set flight modes, so that you can customize your setup for different modes of flying.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
            Even though those three jets mentioned in the first post are similar in some ways, I do not think there is one "best" setup that will work the same for all three. There are some variations in control surface area and wing planform that might need a different approach.

One nice thing about modern radios is the ability to set flight modes, so that you can customize your setup for different modes of flying.
            My experience have been, when using the aileron and elevon mix (4X4), I have crashed many times due to stalling. With all control surfaces moving together at slow speed creates a lot of drag which causes my jets to stall and crash prematurely. The normal aileron to rear taileron (2X4) mix have given me more control at low speed and less stall on landing and take-off's. The Freewing F-22 EDF, 4S had a big problem with the 4X4 setup.

Comment

Working...
            X