Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti Battery

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Battery

Hi all,
    Received first Avanti S red kit for Xmas. Excited to start assembly and looking for input on which battery size should I use. Currently have couple of 6s 4000mah that I use in another plane that I could use, or thinking of purchasing a couple of 5000mah. My question is, what are the pro’s and con’s of those two sizes in the Avanti? Is the larger (heavier) battery worth the additional flight time ( which I’m not really sure how much that may be) or is it more beneficial in this airframe to keep it as light as possible with the smaller pack?
    Just looking for input from those of you who may have tried various sizes in this plane.
    Thanks

@STRIKER Welcome to Hobby Squawk, and thank you for your support!

The Avanti is one of our premier birds. We developed it to fly on a 4000mAh, but many pilots fly it on a 5000mAh or even larger. The 25% increase in capacity will not generally net you 25% more flight time, unless you're an energy management-minded flyer. In short, I'd recommend flying it on the 4000 batteries you have first, then decide whether you want to invest in larger 5000s or not. Either way, I'm very confident you'll enjoy this plane, same as almost all the rest of us who've flown one.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by STRlKER View Post
      Hi all,
      Received first Avanti S red kit for Xmas. Excited to start assembly and looking for input on which battery size should I use. Currently have couple of 6s 4000mah that I use in another plane that I could use, or thinking of purchasing a couple of 5000mah. My question is, what are the pro’s and con’s of those two sizes in the Avanti? Is the larger (heavier) battery worth the additional flight time ( which I’m not really sure how much that may be) or is it more beneficial in this airframe to keep it as light as possible with the smaller pack?
      Just looking for input from those of you who may have tried various sizes in this plane.
      Thanks
      Congratulations on the new airplane! You chose wisely, ha-ha. It's an outstanding plane that easily becomes a pilots "Go-to" model for many reasons.

If you want to keep it as light as possible, the 4000mah LiPo you currently have should do well. It should allow for respectable flight time, perform well (assuming it's a healthy battery and up to the task), and provide for some great slow landing speeds and slow flight maneuvers (a lighter battery can allow for slower landing speeds, easier slow flight, and potentially less wear and tear on components like the landing gear, servos, etc.). With that said, the Avanti has the ability to carry heavier and larger capacity batteries if and when needed. I've used a 860g battery for over 600 flights on the Avanti, and as long as the proper CG can be obtained, it performs phenomenally with the extra weight. The landings and slow flight performance are still exceptional, thanks to the great design of the aircraft. If you decided to go with 5000mah 6S LiPo's, you may yield an additional 30-45 seconds of flight time on average for the same type of flying manner. It's a not a ton more flight time, but noticeable enough. Since you already have 4000mah 6S LiPo's, it may be good to use those and see what you think about the performance. You may not find it worth it to go with more capacity at the moment, or you can save that for a future time.

Have fun! This jet is popular for a reason.

Comment

Thank you Alpha
        Good information

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Congratulations on the new airplane! You chose wisely, ha-ha. It's an outstanding plane that easily becomes a pilots "Go-to" model for many reasons.

If you want to keep it as light as possible, the 4000mah LiPo you currently have should do well. It should allow for respectable flight time, perform well (assuming it's a healthy battery and up to the task), and provide for some great slow landing speeds and slow flight maneuvers (a lighter battery can allow for slower landing speeds, easier slow flight, and potentially less wear and tear on components like the landing gear, servos, etc.). With that said, the Avanti has the ability to carry heavier and larger capacity batteries if and when needed. I've used a 860g battery for over 600 flights on the Avanti, and as long as the proper CG can be obtained, it performs phenomenally with the extra weight. The landings and slow flight performance are still exceptional, thanks to the great design of the aircraft. If you decided to go with 5000mah 6S LiPo's, you may yield an additional 30-45 seconds of flight time on average for the same type of flying manner. It's a not a ton more flight time, but noticeable enough. Since you already have 4000mah 6S LiPo's, it may be good to use those and see what you think about the performance. You may not find it worth it to go with more capacity at the moment, or you can save that for a future time.

Have fun! This jet is popular for a reason.
          Sounds like a good plan, I think I will do just that. Use the 4000’s I have, HRB’s that only have 14 flights on them between the 2 👍

Comment

Have a great time .

Comment

Can somebody here either tell me, or send a link to where I can purchase a front landing gear support for the Avanti, as I would like to install one on my new bird before her maiden flight. I fly from grass runway, and from what I have heard about the supports it would beneficial to have it, but I don’t recall where to purchase one.

Comment

Can somebody here either tell me, or send a link to where I can purchase a front landing gear support for the Avanti, as I would like to install one on my new bird before her maiden flight. I fly from grass runway, and from what I have heard about the supports it would beneficial to have it, but I don’t recall where to purchase one.
                Funny enough, someone just posted on the RCgroups classifieds that is selling the nose strut supports/braces. I have no experience with these, but it's a lead nonetheless.

Comment

Funny enough, someone just posted on the RCgroups classifieds that is selling the nose strut supports/braces. I have no experience with these, but it's a lead nonetheless.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Hawk-and-more
                  Thanks T-Cat, I will check it out

Comment

You're welcome. It may be worth checking the classifieds on this forum as well in case the same member or others also offer the printed strut braces.

Comment

You're welcome. It may be worth checking the classifieds on this forum as well in case the same member or others also offer the printed strut braces.
                      Did not have any luck here, however I did find about 3-4 options available on Ebay
                      Thanks for the help T-Cat

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

I have 4000's and 5000's .. i definitely like the sportiness of the 4000's

I've even tried 3300's a few times, flight time was pretty short, but would climb like crazy !

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post
                            I have 4000's and 5000's .. i definitely like the sportiness of the 4000's

I've even tried 3300's a few times, flight time was pretty short, but would climb like crazy !
                            How much difference in flight time are you seeing between the 4000 vs 5000?

Comment

Have you thought about buying a piece of 1/8" ply and cutting one for yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post

Have you thought about buying a piece of 1/8" ply and cutting one for yourself?
                                No I actually hadn’t, wasn’t really sure what it looks like (having never seeing one in person) or how difficult it would be to make 🙄

Comment

No I actually hadn’t, wasn’t really sure what it looks like (having never seeing one in person) or how difficult it would be to make 🙄
                                  I’ve made several nose gear braces, two for my Avantis and some for my club members. East to do with 1/8” ply.

Comment

How much difference in flight time are you seeing between the 4000 vs 5000?
                                    Really about the same flight time for me ... timer set at 3.30 and fly pretty spirited normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

Really about the same flight time for me ... timer set at 3.30 and fly pretty spirited normally.
                                      Good to know.
                                      Thank you

Comment

I use 4000, 4500, and 5000 batteries. I like the 4500. Just picked up a 5200 graphene battery, holy smokes that makes this plane growl. I'll be getting more of those.

Comment

Working...
                                        X