X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70mm Predator EDF balking...

I have the 70mm FMS T-45, which has been a great little jet. But sometimes after landing, if I roll into the grass off our runway the motor will stop. If I then cycle my kill switch on the transmitter, it comes back on and I taxi back. On my last flight, the motor actually quit a few seconds after getting airborne. (I successfully deadsticked it in, no damage) Again, though, cycling the kill switch brought it back.

I put it on the bench, got the motor running, banged it, tapped the receiver, shook it, but couldn't duplicate. The connections to the motor and ESC all look solid.

I've never had the issue with another plane.

Admiral DSMP receiver
    Predator 2860-KV1850 Fan
    Predator ESC 70A

I've had this happen once in one of my old prop planes. It turned out the ESC was too small for the motor and prop that I was running. It drew so much that it hit the LVC very quickly but after lowering the throttle to zero and trying again, it would work again. By cycling the "throttle cut", all you're doing is zero-ing the throttle. If I flew at part throttle, it was fine. Lowering the LVC stopped the motor shut down but that doesn't resolve any underlying problems. You might want to go in and see if the LVC was altered on your ESC and if it wasn't, perhaps consider a bigger ESC or introduce some better airflow for cooling of the motor and ESC.

Comment

If it’s the old predator which has the red colored label it’s almost certain it’s the esc. Mine in my 70 mm f-18 died an the one in fms 80mm hawk died on the maiden flight after 10 seconds. In both cases they would work fine but shut down in flight for no reason. Both replaced with a hobbywing, which is what fms switched to and is now using on all their planes. The new fms hobbywing esc’s also say predator but have a blue label.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstop View Post
        If it’s the old predator which has the red colored label it’s almost certain it’s the esc. Mine in my 70 mm f-18 died an the one in fms 80mm hawk died on the maiden flight after 10 seconds. In both cases they would work fine but shut down in flight for no reason. Both replaced with a hobbywing, which is what fms switched to and is now using on all their planes. The new fms hobbywing esc’s also say predator but have a blue label.
        Yeah, it's the red one. 70A. Would an 80 be ok? Looking at the Hobbywing Skywalker 80A.

Comment

On a thread about the Admiral RX6000SP stability receiver, which this airplane has, there are posts about motors quitting. And they sound like what's happening to me.

Comment

Working...
          X