X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Lady and Blackbird

I would love to have a 90mm sized Lockheed U-2 Dragon Lady.
    There are a few smaller U-2s out but the scale and detail isn't good.

I would also like to have a twin 80 or 90mm sized Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.
    There is just something about spy planes that gets me going.
    Best regards,
    Cris B.
    AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
    NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

The SR-71 Blackbird stands as my favorite aircraft ever built. I cut my teeth (and arms, legs and head lol) on the LX 64mm SR-71...In fact, I went through 13 of them! Yep, I either bought 13 new PNP or airframes over the years. So many crashes, so many fine-tunings until I finally tamed the beast. I still proudly have #13 hanging up safe and sound. Which reminds me I need to get some nice inrunners in her. The current setup is too slow.

I have been waiting and waiting for us/Freewing to release a scale 64-80mm SR-71 for a long time. I still hold out hope someday we will. Even if it's the A-12 titanium version like the one below (since there is a general fear from manufacturers releasing an all black foam model due to gatoring issues from the Sun and temps). Definitely not for a beginner but once you figure out how she likes to be flown and with the proper CG/throws it's extremely rewarding.

The U-2 would be great as well. I remember someone manufactured one years back. It was neat and I almost bought one but it was too small for my taste. Add in the B-1 and B-2 and I would be over the moon!

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I too have been interested in both the U-2 and the blackbird. I designed a 3D printed U-2 for a 50mm EDF, 1600mm wingspan. Handtosser but I'm working on fixed gear. One sized for a 90mm might be close to the 3m wingspan range, would be cool!

I'd prefer one for a 70mm EDF. ~1/15 scale 2.2m wingspan. I might scale up my 50mm design to match this and install gears and speed brakes if I enjoy flying the 50mm enough

A twin 90 blackbird would be massivel! There was a thread on RCgroups where someone built a 1:12 blackbird for twin 90 midi pro fans. No flight video yet as he normally flies off grass, and he is trying to get access to a paved runway from what I last remembered.

Going with the 70mm theme, I'd like to see a blackbird for 70s in the 1/15 scale range, ~2.2m long

Comment

Even a twin 64mm would be good size if its scale, not like the LX which the nacelles were anything but. With scale nacelles/airframe a twin 64mm would be like a 6ft fuse I think (don't quote me I suck at math, lol). That would rule out a scale 80-90mm I would think. Just too large and not practical for many. Would love a 3M U-2! Man, any of these old spy/new gen stealth aircraft I would be all over for Freewing to create.

Dirty Dee, love your 3DP U-2!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I've looked at the Aerotetris blackbird for some time now. It's a true builders kit, and come in 90, 105, and 120mm sizes. All twins of course.

Comment

If anyone would want to die laughing film me at 2x speed trying to build the Aerotetris Blackbird (and pretty much whenever I attempt any repairs). It would go something like this... (Warning: Some language NSFW)...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
              I too have been interested in both the U-2 and the blackbird. I designed a 3D printed U-2 for a 50mm EDF, 1600mm wingspan. Handtosser but I'm working on fixed gear. One sized for a 90mm might be close to the 3m wingspan range, would be cool!

I'd prefer one for a 70mm EDF. ~1/15 scale 2.2m wingspan. I might scale up my 50mm design to match this and install gears and speed brakes if I enjoy flying the 50mm enough

A twin 90 blackbird would be massivel! There was a thread on RCgroups where someone built a 1:12 blackbird for twin 90 midi pro fans. No flight video yet as he normally flies off grass, and he is trying to get access to a paved runway from what I last remembered.

Going with the 70mm theme, I'd like to see a blackbird for 70s in the 1/15 scale range, ~2.2m long
              3 meters +/- for a U-2 is just about what I was thinking.
              and 1/10th scale (about 3.2 meters in length) for the SR-71 might do the trick
              Best regards,
              Cris B.
              NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

No way to fit that in a PNP box under Dimm Weight, which is why I personally love Aerotetris' approach. It gives modeler's the opportunity to build airframes that are unlikely to ever be mass-produced as PNPs at those sizes (look at his giant, gorgeous An-225!), and keeps the Builder Blood flowing.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

All the black jets are legendary, but I think SR-71 would be extremely popular--cool factor off the chart. I think a twin 80mm would be the sweet spot in the market.

For the history buffs out there, the Blackbird shown in post #2 is not an SR-71. It's the two-seat trainer version of the A-12. And this particular bird was never equipped with the powerful Pratt & Whitney ramjet operating J58 engines.

Comment

Originally posted by cg7060 View Post
                    For the history buffs out there, the Blackbird shown in post #2 is not an SR-71. It's the two-seat trainer version of the A-12. And this particular bird was never equipped with the powerful Pratt & Whitney ramjet operating J58 engines.
                    That is correct! I was looking for an A-12 with the titanium color scheme...A trainer version like the photo would be sweet but not necessary, hint, hint Freewing.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Since you all are talking about the U-2, I thought I would post some pictures of mine that I just finished a few months ago.

I solved the black gatoring problem, that's a real U-2 paint scheme by the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204633.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	243433Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204608.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	243431Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204617.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	243432
                      Attached Files
                      Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Looks sharp vdanger! Really nice!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                          No way to fit that in a PNP box under Dimm Weight, which is why I personally love Aerotetris' approach. It gives modeler's the opportunity to build airframes that are unlikely to ever be mass-produced as PNPs at those sizes (look at his giant, gorgeous An-225!), and keeps the Builder Blood flowing.
                          Hummm… Leave it to me to come up with a tuff project.
                          That's what happens when a full scale engineer forgets about packaging and shipping.
                          Can you give me a rough idea of what the largest size a U-2 or an SR-71 could be and still fit in a PNP box under Dimm Weight?
                          Best regards,
                          Cris B.
                          NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post
                            Since you all are talking about the U-2, I thought I would post some pictures of mine that I just finished a few months ago.

I solved the black gatoring problem, that's a real U-2 paint scheme by the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204633.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	243433Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204608.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	243431Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_204617.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	243432
                            That's a very good looking bird!
                            Best regards,
                            Cris B.
                            NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

I was able to feed the Blackbird desire with the LX 64mm SR-71 years back. Have not flown it in quite a while as it needs some repair after getting blown off the top of my model trailer, also years back. While it is far from perfect, scale wise, it is a pretty decent flyer and looks good in the air.

U-2 wise, I bought a Phase III U-2 ARF plus unpainted kit with motor and fan when it was available. The kit is of a late model TR-1/U-2R. Decided to do it as the NASA ER-2, using the Parkflyer Plastics slipper tanks. A nice flyer. Need to replace the unimpressive stock Phase III 70mm fan one of these days with a more modern one, quieter, with more static thrust for a better climb rate.

Here is a photo sequence taken by my flying buddy Richard Ng at SMALL in Little Rock in 2012. The ER-2 is being launched by none other than Sparky of Parkflyer Plastics. The sky was amazing that late afternoon and Richard got some stunning photos of it off in the distance
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great model, great pics! Thanks for sharing.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yes.... Very nice.

Comment

The Crown Jewels of the USAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhet View Post

3 meters +/- for a U-2 is just about what I was thinking.
                                      and 1/10th scale (about 3.2 meters in length) for the SR-71 might do the trick
                                      Hi,
                                      I bought one kit in Germany in December. They make them on demand.
                                      Lockheed U-2R / TR-1 for turbines from 30N / impeller 90mm from 6S / as a pure glider
                                      Spw .: 3200mm length: 1920mm weight: from 5Kg (glider) / 6Kg (turbine / impeller)
                                      https://shop.strato.de/epages/613167...U-2R+/+TR-1%22

They do 2 other models of U-2.

Comment

Working...
                                      X