Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrows Viper 50mm

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrows Viper 50mm

Anyone have any exp with this EDF? Looking for my first EDF. Seems like it has a reasonably wide flight envelope. I need something that I can slow down and is easy to launch. Anyone have any exp with this plane. I was originally thinking about the p15 but it may be a little advanced for the first EDF. Maybe my second. Anyway any thoughts?

thanks

Never flown that one. The P15 is awesome. It will get away in a hurry if you aren't careful, but is slows down nicely. The challenging part of the Lippisch is hand launching it. I program slight up elevon on my flap switch for take off.

I will say that the Freewing Panther was a great "first" EDF for me. It wasn't technically my first. Years ago, I ordered some Banana Hobby stuff that was cheap and difficult, I was also a less experienced flyer back then. It didn't go well. EDFs intimidated for a long time. The Freewing Panther will fly slow and is speedy enough, it is a really nice plane that can be docile with proper expo and rate settings. When I maidened the Panther my stomach was in a knot and that quickly went away once I realized how easy it was to fly.

I purchased the Panther with the intention of getting my feet wet then buying an Avanti. It worked. However, the Avanti is even easier to fly and land and has a wider flight envelope. The panther doesn't get flown much anymore and if I could do it over I would have started with the Avanti.

If you're looking at getting a bigger EDF eventually anyway, you may be better off starting there if the model you are ultimately after isn't too advanced.

Comment

Thanks, funny I really don't have an ultimate goal plane. I want to keep the size down. I know that sounds funny to most but I like the 30 to 35 inch stuff. Don't have a lot of room to hanger a lot of planes. I'll check those planes out.

Comment

Very good 1st EDF. Very stable but reasonably fast. For hand launching, after trial and error, found the best way is to set up at lest two flight modes, the 1st for launch, where you give it a couple clicks of up elevator and right aileron to counter the initial torque roll, then right after launch switch to regular mode. BTW, I am using an Admiral stability plus receiver. If you use this, turn-off gyro mode, only leave it on recovery mode. This receiver does not like hand-launching EDF's with the gyro on, even with the gains turned all the way down. It overloads and makes the airplane uncontrollable. The Viper doesn't need a gyro anyway. It has a nice jet-like whine and is very responsive. It can do limited vertical but depends on the weight of the batteries. I use 3S 1300 or 1800 MAh. The higher MAh batteries give more time but require higher throttle settings. Also I HIGHLY recommend gluing some 2.5mm carbon-fiber rods in the nose. Long-nose foam airplanes will always crack from hard landings. The rods will preserve your model from all but the worst crashes, and have had a few of those as well. You should also tape the winglets in addition to gluing them, as they will probably fall off from bumpy landings. Also add some red packing tape on the bottom of the fuselage in the nose area. You can operate this EDF in relatively small spaces if need be, but be reasonable. It is small so keep it close and wear your glasses or contacts if you need them, otherwise it will quickly just be a speck in the sky.

Comment

To clarify, if you are using the Admiral Stability plus receiver, leave the recovery mode only as an option to switch to if necessary. This mode is only for exactly what it says - recovery. Do not attempt to launch, take-off or fly around with this receiver in recovery mode. You will end up fighting it. It is not at all the same as 'Safe' mode on a Spektrum receiver.

Comment

The Arrows mini-Viper is a much better choice than the Freewing Panther. I have had both.

Comment

Arrows has two more 50mm EDF jets coming soon. Both are models of scale jets.

Comment

Thanks for info!

Comment

Working...
                X