X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSD Super Viper 105mm

I got this about 2 years ago because I liked the Freewing Avanti, and I thought this would be a larger version. But it really isn't. To me it seems the HSD Super Viper flies like a pig - it's very unstable, and has high wing loading and doesn't slow down for landing like the Avanti. I've tried with gyro, without gyro, etc., and it just never feels very comfortable. I have read that some people really love the HSD viper, but all I can say is I do not. The best I can say about it is that I am very relaxed flying it, because I don't really care if I crash it. Also the magnetic brakes are nice to have. I have v4, and left the stock fan and motor in there. I run it on the new Admiral 6S 6000s from MotionRC, which seem to work fine.

So sad! But really some people enjoy HSD viper so much and they express their positive opinion🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Nike_Belli View Post
      So sad! But really some people enjoy HSD viper so much and they express their positive opinion🤔
      Yes, I know some people like this a lot. I will continue to try, maybe next weekend again. Sometimes it takes small adjustments in CG and trim to get a plane flying well. I was mostly using this as an intermediate step to practice for a 120mm EDF. It worked for that purpose. Do you have one? Do you use the stock power system? I have heard that replacing the fan/motor can help a lot, but so far I have not made that investment.

Comment

Wish you all the best! I'll waiting for your opinion in next week 🤗

Comment

Originally posted by Nike_Belli View Post
          Wish you all the best! I'll waiting for your opinion in next week 🤗
          I've been flying this every week for a few weeks now. It is a bit of an adventure every time, but so far I got it back on the ground undamaged every time. It seems to me a few notable behaviors:

1. I think it is under-powered. I have the stock motor. Is there any better motor you recommend? I remember when I bought it there was an optional power upgrade that I didn't buy (JPower), but now I don't see it on HSD USA website.
          2. It seems to me the plane climbs a lot with throttle. I need to fix that somehow, right now I trim it for low throttle and just manually push the stick forward at high throttle.
          3. Seems it can enter an accelerated stall. I have been careful about keeping elevator throw low.
          4. It sure can do a nasty tip stall at low speed. I guess that is typical of a larger jet, you really need to land with some speed. Of course, I don't want to land with too much speed, and so far I have never experienced "bucking" on landing. But I know any tricycle-gear jet can start bucking if you land too fast, so I am always careful about that. As with any plane, the main challenge of landing is "not too fast, not too slow."

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

I've been flying this every week for a few weeks now. It is a bit of an adventure every time, but so far I got it back on the ground undamaged every time. It seems to me a few notable behaviors:

1. I think it is under-powered. I have the stock motor. Is there any better motor you recommend? I remember when I bought it there was an optional power upgrade that I didn't buy (JPower), but now I don't see it on HSD USA website.
            2. It seems to me the plane climbs a lot with throttle. I need to fix that somehow, right now I trim it for low throttle and just manually push the stick forward at high throttle.
            3. Seems it can enter an accelerated stall. I have been careful about keeping elevator throw low.
            4. It sure can do a nasty tip stall at low speed. I guess that is typical of a larger jet, you really need to land with some speed. Of course, I don't want to land with too much speed, and so far I have never experienced "bucking" on landing. But I know any tricycle-gear jet can start bucking if you land too fast, so I am always careful about that. As with any plane, the main challenge of landing is "not too fast, not too slow."

1. Have an early version HSD Viper and F16 and replaced both EDF units due to low thrust. In the viper I put in a JP Hobby 105mm to get better performance. Not a speed demon but better flying. In the F16, put on a Hacker 110/850 to wake it up.
            2. In the control box they have a mix of throttle to elevator. You can set this lower or off.
            3. This maybe due to a low thrust but scale flying suites it.
            4. Yes it will tail slide in the turns and will snap on ya so keep the power up and a little rudder. Seems to be the norm in larger planes from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post

1. Have an early version HSD Viper and F16 and replaced both EDF units due to low thrust. In the viper I put in a JP Hobby 105mm to get better performance. Not a speed demon but better flying. In the F16, put on a Hacker 110/850 to wake it up.
              2. In the control box they have a mix of throttle to elevator. You can set this lower or off.
              1. Did you change the ESC? Or still the stock one?
              2. Ah thanks, will look for it. I also have a gyro, and maybe the gyro and the control board are fighting each other. My gyro has the gain on a knob, so I will try flying without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

1. Did you change the ESC? Or still the stock one?
                2. Ah thanks, will look for it. I also have a gyro, and maybe the gyro and the control board are fighting each other. My gyro has the gain on a knob, so I will try flying without it.
                1. Just replaced the EDF unit. ESC was compatable with no motor timing change required.
                2. I run the Demon Gortex gyro. $$$, but locked it in pretty well.

Comment

Hi..
                  I also bought the HSD super viper 105mm.
                  Landing was OK
                  Speed was so slow .... really a big disppointment
                  So I changed the EDF to JP 105 12s..... a little bit better but still slow
                  I then ordered the 14s motor for the JP unit and installed it. I replaced the ESC to Hobbywing 14s 130A unit.
                  Tried it on my terrace....
                  and that was the result....
                  The ESC just exploded and burned the fuse.....

Comment

Originally posted by Eytan View Post
                    The ESC just exploded and burned the fuse.....
                    Oh, ouch. Did it happen right away, or did it run for a while before doing that? It seems you had appropriate 14S components, I wonder what happened. I guess even if ESC and Motor are 14S, the ducting (in and out) can determine the power load, maybe it drove the power too high (i.e., more than 130A x 14S).

Comment

I looked up specs of 4 different fans: ChangSun (stock); JP Hobby 105; Jetfan 110; HSD S-EDF 105. In the end, I ordered the JP Hobby motor/fan. It is the lightest of the four, and great performance. We'll see how it does in the plane. It should be at least a modest improvement (as reported by several folks in this thread). Also I found that you can order wing fences for this from AliExpress, so I have a pair of those on the way.

Comment

The esc is hobbywing in it run a year on 8s .
                        when u put half stuck it was ok. Full stick and in 1 sec it exploded. JP told me u can change motors without a problem.

Comment

I am getting the F-16 motor and fan and swapping it into the Super Viper. You do not need to change the esc. The motor is a bit more powerful and I am told that the performance is increased. I will get mine this Friday.

Comment

I have been flying this with more success lately. Some changes are:
                            1. I put in the JP Hobby 105mm fan. Still stock ESC.
                            2. I saw video on RC Informer suggesting to move the CG forward about a cm. That helps.
                            3. I finally tuned the "mixing" function on box so that it doesn't climb or dive with throttle. This could probably be done in finer increments on the Tx side, bypassing this box. But anyway, I use the box and it works fine, but you have to find the right setting (1 through 5).
                            4. I went back and set up throws per the manual, and then backed off a bit from there for low rates.
                            5. Most importantly, I started landing at a normal approach angle, instead of trying to come in very low. On these large EDFs it is too difficult to establish landing speed while coming in level. So I found a throttle setting where it "barely can't fly", and I come in with that throttle setting while descending.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-8-29-5.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	277552Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-8-29-6.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	277553

Here is my V1 HSD Viper. Running on the JP Hobby 105mm fan with the original ESC and did not need to change motor timings. Setup per manual and CG per manual. I did remove the HSD box so I could shift the batteries back for more aft CG (2xRoaring Top 5500 70C) I control the gear and front door through IX12 gear sequence and use 9 channel Spektrum with Cortex Demon Gyro Brakes are as supplied with the plane. Fly's smooth but not a screamer but fast enough and landings are at a shallow approach. This is a trainer for my HSD Viper with king tech 60....

Comment

Looks great Wolper. Here's an aerial picture of mine captured by one of our club members. My granddaughter is (or was) into Frozen, so the pilots are the two main characters.

Name:	IMG_5807-M.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	292904Click image for larger version

Name:	i-hgvx4PN-X3_crop.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	292905

Comment

I had an adventure last time - the plane was going crazy, and I figured out that only 1 flap was down! I actually landed this way - in retrospect I should have just raised the flaps, but I didn't think of that in time. I might replace the servo, I noticed it was a bit sluggish. But it was also pilot error. On any plane, it is wise to slow down before hitting the flaps, otherwise the servo can stall.

Name:	1flapa.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	310628Click image for larger version

Name:	1flap.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	310629

Comment

Working...
                                  X