X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80MM F4D SKYRAY

thought i might share a model i scratch built...some of you might not have heard about the f4d skyray..its history in the us navy was pretty short..it did set a number of speed and time to climb records but was a bit ahead of its time and the propulsion and control systems were a behind the curve for this jet. But...as a model...it makes for a wonderful flying jet! Lots of wing area...stable delta design...no bad habits and a very gentle stall. This one is powered by a freewing a10 fan amd a 6s 6250. Weighs about 6.5lbs and is about the same size as the freewing a4. Also has the a4 retracts in it. Built from depron foam and then fiberglassed. Built directly off of a 3 view...in what i like to call improv building...where i mostly build and design on the fly as a i go...granted..many hours of fore thought goes into the design before i ever cut anything. I actually framed up 2 of these...and need to finish the other one for my friend. But heres some pics of the build and the finished product. Also a video by my friend chris.(he also designed and printed the nose cone and ducting)..the rc geek. If you dont subscribe to his yt channel...you need to! Tons of awesome videos on his channel.

Attached Files

And another video...although only about 2% as good as the rc geeks video :p

Comment

There's no denying it's a good flyer when designed and setup right!

Basically a bigger version of our 64mm Lippisch P.15.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Such a beautiful plane and a great flyer to boot. Was nice to see it in person at St George last year.
        Pat

Comment

*Want* lol

Comment

thanks guys! I hadnt flown it since aef...and i flew it a couple weeks ago to honor the loss of mark frankel..and i kinda fell back in love with ying it and put like 5 flights on it last weekend. This has been a awesome model with almost 0 issues...knock on wood

Comment

A plane that I’ve always wanted to have in the stable.

Comment

Amazing job!

Comment

Thanks my dudes :)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    There's no denying it's a good flyer when designed and setup right!

Basically a bigger version of our 64mm Lippisch P.15.
                    Well, the Skyray is more of an Ogive Delta, whereas the P.15 is a flying wing.

No denying that Lippisch had a huge influence on the Skyray design, though.

Comment

I keep hoping that Freewing does an excellent 80mm F4D for those of us with limited building time......:)

Comment

Yeah the f4d was definately based on german research data that was claimed during the war. Some of the early f4d concepts were directly taken from the lippisch data

I keep trying to tell alfa...ita hard to go wrong with a ray!

Comment

Working...
                        X