X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerodynamics of foamy RC jet

Well, I am not any expert on aerodynamics at all!

But I cannot help to be curious: why all RC jets can be very stable, while in the real isn't. For example, real F-16 is not stable staticly which must relies on complex avionics to keep it stable. However, RC f-16 is very stable once its CG is well kept and trimmed.

So their aerodynamics must be very different, although they somehow looks alike. I cannot help think all RC jets(those we are familiar the foamy ones) share same aerodynamics traits.

Can anyone talk a bit on this? Thank you very much!

Modern real ones are made unstable to fly a wider envelope. Models are made to be more stable since we don't have the computers and FBW to fly them for us.

You'll have a bunch of "experts" here in a minute to tell you all about it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post
      Well, I am not any expert on aerodynamics at all!

But I cannot help to be curious: why all RC jets can be very stable, while in the real isn't. For example, real F-16 is not stable staticly which must relies on complex avionics to keep it stable. However, RC f-16 is very stable once its CG is well kept and trimmed.

So their aerodynamics must be very different, although they somehow looks alike. I cannot help think all RC jets(those we are familiar the foamy ones) share same aerodynamics traits.

Can anyone talk a bit on this? Thank you very much!
      The answer is actually pretty simple.

While an F-16 is statically unstable at the CG location of fhe actual aircraft, we simply change the CG and move it forward on models like this to give some amount of static stabilty. Typically a 5-10% stabilty margin gives us what we need to be able to fly this type of aircraft as an RC model.

I have never encountered a model that could not be made stable enough to fly with the CG properly located, including F-117 and B-2 models..

Some model jets do have slightly larger tail surfaces, which also helps.

Comment

If you fly them with enough power/thrust, even a flat cardboard airplane will fly well. Oh wait, isn't that how FliteTest became so popular? Who needs aerodynamics when you can forcibly yank a thing through the air, kicking and screaming?

Comment

This thing should NOT fly and yet ...........................
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	273128

We all know that elephants can fly but should they? (I challenged Otto to make one and in a few weeks, he did.)

Comment

LOVE the flying elephant!!

Aerodynamics of models vs full-size can be a very interesting (and very long) subject. All planes fly according to the same basic physical rules (thrust, lift, gravity, drag) regardless of their size, but besides the CG which is very important , there are some other mysterious things at work... Say you scale a full-size F16 down by shrinking it, let's say 1/10th size. So the model is smaller and it weighs less... about 8 pounds instead of 26,000 lbs. But, its flying through the same air. I mean, the air isn't scaled down. So that has an effect on what's going on.

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Thank you all experts for sharing your thought! very informative

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                Modern real ones are made unstable to fly a wider envelope. Models are made to be more stable since we don't have the computers and FBW to fly them for us.

You'll have a bunch of "experts" here in a minute to tell you all about it. :)
                Actually there are some well qualified aero experts who do post on here. No need to be snide about expertise.

Comment

Bingo! :)

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Actually there are some well qualified aero experts who do post on here. No need to be snide about expertise.

Comment

My dad used to always tell me that you can make anything fly as long as you throw it hard enough lol

Thrust overcomes drag and creates lift which overcomes gravity. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                      My dad used to always tell me that you can make anything fly as long as you throw it hard enough lol

Thrust overcomes drag and creates lift which overcomes gravity. 😁
                      Ha, to fly elegantly, there is still quite some delicacy to appreciate!

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

The answer is actually pretty simple.

While an F-16 is statically unstable at the CG location of fhe actual aircraft, we simply change the CG and move it forward on models like this to give some amount of static stabilty. Typically a 5-10% stabilty margin gives us what we need to be able to fly this type of aircraft as an RC model.

I have never encountered a model that could not be made stable enough to fly with the CG properly located, including F-117 and B-2 models..

Some model jets do have slightly larger tail surfaces, which also helps.
                        This sums it up succinctly!
                        YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
                        Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
                        Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

Working...
                        X