X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-10 uneven battery drain

Question... Has anyone found that one of the two matched battery packs voltage been severely depleted after a flight?
    The drain was so significant that one of the motors cut out while taxing back to the pit area.
    The other battery pack cells were at 3.8v
    The CSR at Motion did not have a clue.

This is the first I've seen reported. Mine has always ended up being similar in volts and %remaining. Has this always been like this or just recently? Maybe check all your connections for failing solder points.

Comment

Additionally...
      The first 12 flights had no issues.

1. All batteries are less than 3 months old.

2.Tried 2 seperate brands matched together for each flight. Resulting in the same outcome.

3. Batteries are 6S - 6000mAh 50-60C

4. Balance charging at 1C rate.

5. Batteries barely warm post flight.

6. Batteries are always left at the storage voltage at the end of the flying day.

7. Post flight testing...
      Recharged the affected batteries and bench tested the batteries in the plane at 50% power setting for 7 mins until the voltage hit 3.8 volts on both packs. All 12 cell's were within .3 volts of each other.

Someone had suggested that one of the ESC's may have developed and issue with its timing.

Any thoughts???
      Thanks!

Comment

XViper...
        the only joints I checked where the xt90 connections when I made the initial solder joints. I checked and found no problem with the connections or heat buildup. I have not checked the ESC solder connections at this time.

Comment

If the timing in one of the ESCs has changed, that could result in more power usage. You could go into the ESC programming for both and ensure that all the settings are the same.
          I have had batteries come out of the box with such bad soldering in the connector that one lead would fall off if tugged on. Same for the solder at the ESC.
          Also check each fan in case you've got a build up of grass that might cause more resistance in one than the other.

Comment

Good suggestions XViper...

I have cleaned the grass buildup in the past.
            I haven't checked recently.
            How can one go about checking the ESC settings on these controllers?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiman62 View Post
              How can one go about checking the ESC settings on these controllers?
              Well, the best thing to do to start with, is to set both back to factory default. That's like the way they came. After that, you can fiddle with things like timing. You should also re-do the throttle calibration if you go to factory default.
              Most ESC programming guides can be found on the product's "support" page: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...iles/fwesc.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiman62 View Post
                Question... Has anyone found that one of the two matched battery packs voltage been severely depleted after a flight?
                The drain was so significant that one of the motors cut out while taxing back to the pit area.
                The other battery pack cells were at 3.8v
                The CSR at Motion did not have a clue.
                I have noticed the same problem with the stock a-10 and t 33 inrunners. Battery voltage was about 0.8 volts different when I landed. For the inrunners I used 4stripes method of wiring the 2 hv lipos in parallel with a fuse on the positive. I kept blowing fuses during flight until I installed a 30 amp fuse. I assume the KV is not quite matched for the inrunners. I like the way it flies with parallel wiring. Flight times are longer. I only need 1 voltage sensor because batteries are always the same voltage after landing.

Comment

Working...
                X