X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti V3 first flights with crash

This video shows the multi cam flights using a Viper AR636A receiver. Other that a CofG problem with 2 cameras causing a crash landing. The subsequent flights were perfect.
    I used my Viper 636 A receiver tin the Avanti with no changes & worked perfectly

Just a thought, but the first landing where you crashed, you got it in a very slow nose high position causing a wing stall, which resulted in the orientation rolling left, then it dropped down still pitched left and with no increase in power it ended up crashing with the left wing hitting first. When the Avanti goes into a high alpha semi-stall condition, it drops the left wing first, where you need to give it a short burst of throttle and correct with right aileron. It will "fly" very nicely in a high alpha semi-stall configuration but you need to give it bursts of throttle (or at least enough throttle so it doesn't lose altitude) and slightly rock it left and right with the ailerons (along with almost full up elevator) to keep it "flying" somewhat straight in that configuration so it does not drop to the ground. Just my 2 cents, could be wrong, but the Avanti is a great EDF to do and practice very slow high alpha passes. I don't have the FMS Avanti, but the FW 80mm Avanti with an AR636 installed and I assume they both fly very similar.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Hi Hugh, I really appreciate your advice & will definitely apply that when I next fly. I think you were 'spot on' with your analysis. Thank you mate!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellairvideo View Post
        Hi Hugh, I really appreciate your advice & will definitely apply that when I next fly. I think you were 'spot on' with your analysis. Thank you mate!!
        No problem and don't think you're the first to experience a wing stall. I've become an expert on performing various and thrilling crash maneuvers, cause "if you're not crashing, you're not flying"! After I get comfortable flying a certain aircraft, I like to take it up to a decent altitude and slow it down until I do get a wing stall just to see how it reacts, what speed it occurs at (with and without flaps and/or gear) and how to recover from it. A real tough wing stall to overcome occurs with some of the prop warbirds, like the FL Corsair, which will take off before it has enough wing lift (unless you keep the nose level or even with a slight down angle on take-off run) and immediately roll left. Now that's excitement.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I will definitely try that Hugh....when I get enough 'guts' to do it. The P-39 Aerocobra is the best warbird that does not tip stall.
          Beautiful very warm & balmy evening last night at the beach for flying...I will edit the video this weekend & post on youtube.
          Have a great weekend, Noel
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the crash dude!
            Glad you got it fixed up again quickly.

That rear view is interesting. Gimbal mounted? Be nice to have that kind of perspective front on 😃
            How big is the complete assembly?

Tony

Comment

I've got the new Freewing Avanti S Red (first Jet). 2 Questions: I've been doing pretty well landing with half flaps. They recommend 55mm deflection for full flaps. Seems like an awful lot - should I go with this? If I do, recommendations on control during landing? Anyone think the Avanti S Red color scheme inspired by the state of Maryland Colors?😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	maryland.png
Views:	478
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	289415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	289416

Comment

Emergency landing with the failure of the left gear stuck. A hot day for flying here but managed to get it down carefully on the remaining two wheels

Comment

Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post
                  Sorry about the crash dude!
                  Glad you got it fixed up again quickly.

That rear view is interesting. Gimbal mounted? Be nice to have that kind of perspective front on 😃
                  How big is the complete assembly?

Tony
                  Hi Tony, soon I did not see your comment until now.
                  The attachment was just a metal clip with the insta go camera attached as it has a strong magnet on its included mount.

Comment

Emergency landing with the failure of the left gear stuck. A hot day for flying here but managed to get it down carefully on the remaining two wheels
                    Nice looking field, wide open spaces, great flying & video, excellent save on the landing and a gorgeous day, what more can you ask for.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Nice looking field, wide open spaces, great flying & video, excellent save on the landing and a gorgeous day, what more can you ask for.
                      Many thanks Hugh.

I just returned from the same spot flying the FMS Super Viper which I swapped out the Avanti V3 receiver (was originally the Eflite Viper receiver) as with the other jets similar size, all worked without any adjustment. A perfect two full flights before the cricket teams arrived to play.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tony, soon I did not see your comment until now.
                        The attachment was just a metal clip with the insta go camera attached as it has a strong magnet on its included mount.
                        How does it keep horizontal? There has to be some kind of gimbal stabilisation...

Comment

Originally posted by SilentPilot View Post

How does it keep horizontal? There has to be some kind of gimbal stabilisation...
                          What point in the video are you talking about? Every place I looked at, the camera is stationary relative to the fuse, not relative to the horizon. Anyway, good job on the video, it is interesting to see from-the-ground view alternating with on-board view.

Comment

All the rear views seem to keep the horizon pretty much level. You can see the plane banking but the camera tries to track the horizon.

1:14 - 1:20 is one clip

Comment

This video shows the multi cam flights using a Viper AR636A receiver. Other that a CofG problem with 2 cameras causing a crash landing. The subsequent flights were perfect.
                              I used my Viper 636 A receiver tin the Avanti with no changes & worked perfectly
                              Your aileron surfaces were upon each wing apposed to the flaps. That would cause a serious wobble in flight, let alone full control of the aircraft.

Comment

This video shows the multi cam flights using a Viper AR636A receiver.
                                Nice video combining different angles. And I like your field - plenty of room in all directions.

Comment

Nobody else picked up on the rear view?

I'd love to know what mount was used!

Comment

G'day boys,
                                    Hope you are keeping well .
                                    Here are the mounts for the Avanti & most other aircraft I post on my 'bellairvideo' youtube channel
                                    Hope they help you.
                                    The Insta360 Go camera is the main stabiliser one I use but I do also go for the 808 #16 & Mobius Mini as they are light.
                                    The attachment for the Insta Go is a large cable tie/tidy that you can get at Home Depot (Bunnings here) I chop off one end as it can get into view. The little black attached washer on the cam is there so I can tie down the camera in case the magnetic mount (on the tail attached with a paper grip) or cable tie comes away & I loose it. The washer is attached by a small piece of gaffer tape.
                                    I had a great sunset flight at the nearby beach last night with the Cherokee & will post the video soon.
                                    Regards
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!!!
                                      Looking up bellairvideo now

Comment

Working...
                                      X