You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had to buy one jet for around $400, what would it be and why?!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had to buy one jet for around $400, what would it be and why?!

Hi all! I need some help choosing my next jet. I currently have the E-flite Twin 64mm A-10 and love it, and as of now I am considering the Avanti S, FW T-33, and the F-86 High Performance. I fly off of both paved and grass runways, but the grass runway is much closer to my house so that is typically my field of choice. What would be your top choice for a jet at or around that $400 price point and why? Thanks everybody! Josh

What does your grass look like? Pretty rough, or very well trimmed and smooth?

Comment

I would shy away from the F-86 on grass. Mine struggles to get off the ground on a well groomed grass runway.

Comment

Avanti of your choices.

Comment

Welcome Josh! Of those choices I would go with the Avanti S. Shouldn't have trouble with a groomed grass field and it's an excellent jet.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Waconut View Post
            I would shy away from the F-86 on grass. Mine struggles to get off the ground on a well groomed grass runway.
            The high performance version should be fine. The original stock version was definitely marginal on grass.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! As far as the conditions of the field, it’s a pretty well groomed runway. I have a few aircraft I fly out of there pretty regularly including the A-10 and they all can takeoff and land smoothly. The Avanti is certainly at the top of that list, but they are currently out of stock. Does Motion typically run a Black Friday sale? If so I will wait until then to buy.

Comment

Freewing Sukhoi 35.

It's amazing.

Comment

Depends on the grass. I regularly fly the F86, A6,F4, T-33, A4, L-39, F5,Yak-130, A-10, BAE Hawk, off our grass field. No problem with any of them. Most paved fields are inconvenient for me. 45 min - 1 hr drive. But moreover, most paved fields are not nearly as wide. Can be a problem when you miss as the adjacent grass is usually not well groomed and becomes a retract ripper and cart wheel enabler. Lol

Cut short is one thing. A cow pasture is another. Any of your choices are good depending on field condition.
                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I would say Avanti. The reason is - go to any flying field and see how many people have Avantis. There is a reason it is so popular.

By the way, I also saw the recent Eflite "first EDF" offering, and was pretty impressed.... "Habu STS 70mm". Like the Avanti, it has an enormous flight envelope, and the ratio between top speed and stall speed is huge. It is perhaps a little lower on the scale from beginner to advanced, so might be a better choice for a less experienced pilot. I still like the Avanti better, but worth taking a look at Habu.

Comment

Working...
                    X